Raikkonen to Sauber, Leclerc to Ferrari Next Season

As a Kimi fan, pretty bummed. I think Kimi has rediscovered some of his old fire this year...perhaps just a bit too late.

As an F1 fan, this seems like a good move for the overall health of the sport. Speedy young guy gets to go head to head with a 4 times world championship in a fast car, fan-favorite Kimi remains on the grid.

And of course he won't be able to get frequent podiums like Raikkonen did. But being that he's a rookie, he'll probably wreck the car more. Yeah, brilliant idea.

Funny that you say that to defend Kimi, and crap on Leclerc.
Do you remember that Kimi Raikkonen dude early career ? Here's a reminder if you started watching F1 5 minutes ago : he went from Formula Renault to F1 with Sauber, then one year later he was at McLaren. I wonder how that kid's career went.

Though I think it’s a shame how Kimi is on a leash at Ferrari (though a very well paid leash ;-)), for him it’s positive to (probably) end his carreer at Sauber. Which is becoming more and more competitive. And being able to race freely once again must be great. And with his skills and knowledge he certainly can add a lot of value to the development of Sauber.

And Vettel is going to have a hard time. Sure LeClerc will act as kinda wingman in the beginning, but he’s young, eager and bloody fast. So for sure the fu mentality will kick in when he’s getting more confident with the car during the 2019 season.

Funny that you say that to defend Kimi, and crap on Leclerc.
Do you remember that Kimi Raikkonen dude early career ? Here's a reminder if you started watching F1 5 minutes ago : he went from Formula Renault to F1 with Sauber, then one year later he was at McLaren. I wonder how that kid's career went.
I'm not crapping on anyone. Just stating facts. Kimi WAS a rookie. He's not now. Getting rid of a veteran driver than can give Mercedes a run for their money is not smart.

I like that big teams go for developing drivers and not only buy up drivers after they have been successful. I think that if Ferrari and LeClerc can develop a car together they will come trough in the end.

I'm not going to be negative about Charles promotion and from what I've read and heard elsewhere Kimi made the deal with Sauber himself and for Sauber it is a very good deal. However, I don't think Kimi was washed up or too old or lacked motivation. He was, up until Monza, a team player that put the manufacturer title first over his ego. I can't say the same about Vettel, Hamilton or Verstappen. Say what you will but Kimi knew at Monza he was on the way out and did not abide by team orders. With Hamilton behind him, he could have let Seb take the point while running interference with Lewis. If Ferrari expect loyalty for the balance of the season I hope they lose because Kimi doesn't have to play the team game now. Of course Ferrari could give him new parts that put him over his allocation so he is not a threat to Seb but that would be defeating the manufacturer's end game and the title. Nope Hamilton has Bottas and a team working for him and Ferrari (which I love) have screwed the pooch. Good luck Kimi, at least we will still have the most popular or well liked driver on the grid and some fascinating interviews.

Rumor has he might be heading to management side of things at Sauber, after he's done driving

One speculation that i guess comes from the same source says Kimi has been interested in a "slice" of Sauber for quite some time. Maybe his paycheck for the next two years is just that :whistling:

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out and definitely nice to still have Kimi on the grid IMO.

Contracts are broken and re written every week in F1. Seb went around talking up Kimi over the previous seasons because Kimi never really connected with the Ferrari until last season. Ferrari have taken away or cost Kimi maybe at least 3 wins since that Monaco BS last season.

This year Kimi seems to really be taking a shine to the upgraded Ferrari and so why in the hell would they not stay with him for at least 1 more season to try and get that constructors championship.......simple Seb! Seb is and always has been a spoiled child. Kimi is now a threat. So now the threat is gone.

C.L. trust me is and will be no threat. Ferrari have pulled the plug too soon and again will head backward. in 2019. The Kimister is still the fastest cat on track on 1 lap. And still is in great physical shape. Wish him well he has been great for the sport.

Google "kimi" and then google "kimmi". See the difference :p

Anyway, I was expecting this season to be Kimi's last in F1. Would like to see him race somewhere else too. But as long as he's motivated to be in F1 then he should stay there :)

Of course I would never think about bwoahing Kimi...but Kimmi...:thumbsup:

Rumor has he might be heading to management side of things at Sauber, after he's done driving

Would much rather see him against Alonso in WEC though. Where Alonso felt the rhytm of the night, you could ask Kimi to do a quadruple stint, he gets out of the car, interview person goes to him and "How was your stint, you were in the car for almost 3 hours, how did it feel?"

Best "mwoah" ever.

LMAO.... What a rapid decline.
I would rather not drive at all before changing to such a back-bencher team.
:confused:
Funny how armchair racers have so much to laugh at. Look at your own life, compare it to Kimi's many years as an F1 driver, which by the way, you will never be. In fact, you will more than likely never really race anything. In the end you will find that Kimi is actually laughing at you. So...what were you saying?

Yeh like mentioned above, I think there maybe more to that Sauber deal than we know. Kimi's a smart guy and has the family thing going well. He always said the only reason he hangs around F1 is because he plain and simple likes driving the cars. So yeh 2 more season to say good bye and then to the office.

Good to see KR will continue driving for a while yet - quite surprising but amicable to step down from the top step back to Sauber. You don't do that unless you are a real F1 legend :thumbsup:

Has driven very well this year, and deserved to stay with Ferrari for another year.

He might become F1's LeBron, but he will always remain Leclerc, not LeClerc :D

Are you talking about changing teams just to have a chance for a championship? A championship beach Lebron that wants a super team just to be the champion? That backfires most of the time.

So Kimi is like a Michael Jordan joining Washington Wizards? :D including the ownership rumors...

Lebron was always compared to MJ, but everybody knows who is the greatest. Lebron won championships because he moved to "super teams". Michael Jordan is "The super team".

Somehow now I want a Durant to come out of Danny Ric... :sneaky:

Here's an idea: Let's take a great driver, in an inferior car and ask him to beat Hamilton. Oh, he can't do it? We'll let's launch him to another team and get a rookie and ask him to beat Hamilton. He won't be able to do it either. And of course he won't be able to get frequent podiums like Raikkonen did. But being that he's a rookie, he'll probably wreck the car more. Yeah, brilliant idea.

The Ferrari is the superior car this season.

Good idea. Ferrari is preparing the future: Vettel will stick around for a few more seasons and by the time he leaves, Leclerc will have enough experience to lead the team. I hope people will understand that the next season will be a learning experience for Leclerc. I'm not expecting a race win in 2019, but he can help Vettel win a WC, if Ferrari plays its cards right.

I like Kimi but it would be nice to see some young talent take that seat . Kimi's had a good run.

Shame Young drivers like Ocon might lose his seat.

Seems like most popular first sentence here is "I'm a Kimi fan but..." or "I like Kimi but..." :rolleyes:
He isn't as fast as he used to be (but after all those years it's no miracle) and I don't like that fast guy as Ocon is - seems doesn't have place in F1 anymore:unsure: but Sauber now could use someone with big experience, I believe Kimi can really help them develop the car. And who knows... maybe Sauber change the course of (F1) history... maybe we'll talk in future about "big 4" instead of "big 3". :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back