Raikkonen / Hamilton Collide - Was the 10s Penalty too Harsh?

Well when you start so shockingly bad from pole you leave the door open for attacks, Kimi did what a racing driver does, go for the gap. Hamilton must have known Kimi was on the outside, should he have left a little more room he'd be on the inside for T4 and then business as usual.

I was in between just right and too harsh, voted too harsh. But it could be both.

What I didn't like too much was Hamilton's attitude, I bet he was more pissed at his start. That ruined his race not Kimi. But he cant admit that on camera and more so puts the spot light on Ferrari with that ridiculous claim that twice Mercedes cars were taken out by the Prancing Horses.

This is racing, life as well, shyte ain't fair sometimes. Take it on the chin, head down and BE BETTER ffs.

Well I think the reason why Kimi got a 10 sec penalty and Seb only got a 5 sec was, that Kimi was able to rejoin and move on after the incident. Vettel however had a broken frontwing and had to pit so he lost waaay more time due to the incident itself alone than Kimi.

I suspect it was more down to the pitlane speed limit then anything honestly. 40 in france 60 at Silverstone so pretty much balanced out the times for the two :)

I know the penalty seems inconsistent, but maybe they adjust according to the track?

For instance a 5 second penalty in Monaco is massive, whereas a 10 second penalty at Spa still feels like nothing over the course of the race. Silverstone is almost 6 km, so a relatively long track.

But the discussion is not whether or not it was his fault (quite clear this), it´s about the consistency of the stewards actions. Theres been three completely different penalties for very similiar incidents over the last year.

There was a similar incident in this very race and I don't believe it was even penalized.

Hamilton is like crying baby now when his Mercedes is not the fastest car on the track. Today Hamilton says that it was just a race incident...so Kimi got a wrong penalty, so Kimi won the race :)

I voted too harsh for the simple reason that it's totally inconsistent. Should have been five seconds, same as before. Why talk about consistency all the time when you don't practice what you preach? They really need to have a set of clear, easy to understand rules that says if someone does A it results in B, if someone does C it results in D... every... single... time. End of story. Ditch all this subjective crap so that everyone knows what is happening and why, and can get on with talking about actual stories instead of yet more worthless controversy.

That said, I'm also getting sick and tired of penalties in F1 as a whole. Penalties for this, penalties for that. It totally ruins the "racing" for me. Do we really want to get to the point where drivers are soooooo petrified of a penalty that they go against their natural instinct and don't go for a gap? Do we want all overtakes to be the result of artificial BS like DRS?! I mean FFS, this is racing, not ballet dancing! It's all about speed, bravery, excitement, heat of the moment decisions. It's not supposed to be scripted and the cars aren't on rails. Things go wrong. Get over it and move the hell on you bunch of whinging rich-kid cry-babies!

Liberty Media say their aim is all about the "improving the show" right? So improve it by letting the drivers get on with what they do best, and stop the bloody FIA penalising them for doing it!

Bloody annoying yawn-fest, the lot of it. :thumbsdown:

As for Hamilton... don't even get me started on him. Great driver, but there are many occasions when I feel ashamed that he's British.

I voted too harsh for the simple reason that it's totally inconsistent. Should have been five seconds, same as before. Why talk about consistency all the time when you don't practice what you preach? They really need to have a set of clear, easy to understand rules that says if someone does A it results in B, if someone does C it results in D... every... single... time. End of story. Ditch all this subjective crap so that everyone knows what is happening and why, and can get on with talking about actual stories instead of yet more worthless controversy.

That said, I'm also getting sick and tired of penalties in F1 as a whole. Penalties for this, penalties for that. It totally ruins the "racing" for me. Do we really want to get to the point where drivers are soooooo petrified of a penalty that they go against their natural instinct and don't go for a gap? Do we want all overtakes to be the result of artificial BS like DRS?! I mean FFS, this is racing, not ballet dancing! It's all about speed, bravery, excitement, heat of the moment decisions. It's not supposed to be scripted and the cars aren't on rails. Things go wrong. Get over it and move the hell on you bunch of whinging rich-kid cry-babies!

Liberty Media say their aim is all about the "improving the show" right? So improve it by letting the drivers get on with what they do best, and stop the bloody FIA penalising them for doing it!

Bloody annoying yawn-fest, the lot of it. :thumbsdown:

As for Hamilton... don't even get me started on him. Great driver, but there are many occasions when I feel ashamed that he's British.

Well said Ross - I couldn't agree more.

personally speaking the penalty system in F1 is a Joke, a racing incident is a racing incident, if Kimi had deliberately turned his nose into Hamilton and never let off the throttle then fair enough, but penalising someone for more than a few seconds because they try to make a move that was clearly an error of judgement is wrong.

Racing is about pushing yourself and your machine to the limits of what is capable and sometimes accidents and misjudgements occur, its a fact of racing, the only way to ever avoid it is to remove drivers all together and replace them with AI computers that cant collide with each other.

As said before, Vettels penalty was a bit far fetched when from the replays the Mercedes closed the door on vettel. its a fact that in close quarter racing, youre going to go for gaps that close fast, its the same is NASCAR, the BTCC, even Indy Car and Formula E.

Unless F1 decides to rebuild its penalty system and let drivers actually drive, instead of punishing them because they touch tires or run over a white line, then F1 would actually not be a dying sport.

imho, if a team member takes out the opposition, BOTH team members should suffer the penalty, would stop any 'tactical' accidents .

you can expect these things from teams like Mercedes or Mecklaren and even read bool but never from Ferrari. history does not lie that I remember I have never seen a Scuderia Ferrari manager beat his fists

you can expect these things from teams like Mercedes or McLaren and even Red Bull but never from Ferrari. history does not lie that I remember I have never seen a Scuderia Ferrari manager beat his fists

From my point of view after watching that scene over and over again, it was a racing incident. Kimi locked up, crashed into the back of Lewis (which left adequate room, if not slightly insufficient) and got a 10 second penalty. Kimi said it was fair, and it is. A 10 second penalty is not overly harsh. A drive-through would've been overly harsh. A 5 second penalty is not "the standard" for crashing into people. If Kimi hadn't locked up, he wouldn't have hit Lewis. Yes, Charlie might've been a bit more harsh considering it was Lewis that Kimi had hit, and not someone else. The same way that Valtteri who likely would've been given a 10 second penalty for torpedo-ing Sebastian. It's the job of the stewards to look at and decide the penalties. Not us.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%