Raikkonen / Hamilton Collide - Was the 10s Penalty too Harsh?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
British Grand Prix Opening Lap Crash.jpg

Kimi Räikkönen earned a 10 second penalty for his lap 1 contact with Hamilton, but was the penalty awarded by the race stewards too harsh in your opinion?

Considering Ferrari team mate Vettel recently received a five second time addition for his crash with Bottas earlier in the season, do you think the stewards at Silverstone behaved a little harshly towards Räikkönen for his part in the opening lap accident with Lewis Hamilton, or is a 10 second time penalty an appropriate punishment for contacting with a championship contender in the opening lap of a Grand Prix?

Let us know in the comment section below!

Raikkonen: "Yeah, it was my mistake and i deserve it so you know, its racing, its how it goes, whitout the 10s penalty it would be been better but you know it could been worse"

No need of arguing then :roflmao:

Raikkonen: "Yeah, it was my mistake and i deserve it so you know, its racing, its how it goes, whitout the 10s penalty it would be been better but you know it could been worse"

No need of arguing then :roflmao:

But the discussion is not whether or not it was his fault (quite clear this), it´s about the consistency of the stewards actions. Theres been three completely different penalties for very similiar incidents over the last year.

He his smart, no reason to fight the FIA judges but yes 10 seconds was too much, hitting someone on track is a +5 penalty, hitting Hamilton's is a +10, if was Verstappen hitting a seagull was -15 for him...etc etc...

Relatively, I think that the penalty was fair( me being in the camp that Vettels penalty probably deserved to be 10seconds) but I think the penalty system needs an overhaul. I know Hamilton beat Kimi in the end, but the fact that a driver can punt off a driver and improve the prospect of their race race for their other driver and themselves doesn’t seem fair.

Seb penalty at French GP and was Lenient and now people using that to call it a normal penalty lol , seb penalty was Lenient and kimi's penalty here was about right. i remember also lewis got some kind of very Lenient penalty at 2016 and people were assuming it was the normal amount of time penalty for further similar incidents , Stewards are just protecting lewis and seb more than others , if it was seb or lewis it would be 5 sec :|

Similar incidents have been penalised 5 sec, that is already an heavy penalty given how close these races ate
Precisely. Vettel got 5 secs for boning Bottas in France, but Kimi got 10 secs for exact same thing. Consistency is shite, again.

That aside, penalty perfectly justified, yet another clumsy Raikkonen moment.

Well... I think it's ok but judging by Hamilton behavior after the race only proper punishment for Kimi would be a firing squad. :D

edit:
Guys... Charlie said after the France that they use 5 seconds punishment for start cause, you know, that's the start of the race.. total confusion anything can happened, this is third corner after all. Hamilton left just enough of space, Kimi totally screw it. Even he admit it. Do the same.

10s was about right overall for that incident but too harsh considering vettel totally destroyed bottas' car with similar incident and only got 5s penalty. Kimi barely touched hamilton and got a 10s penalty. Typical fia nonsense. Can't wait charlie whiting leaves so we can finally have consistent penalties...

Lewis may consider himself very lucky today... He finished second thanks to the SC periods, but if the collision hasn't happened, he would have travel behind Bottas for an entire distance with Kimi on his back. Any switch then between Merceders drivers after what Ferrari did(n't) in Austria, would have smelled bad. That was a really lousy start from Lewis, seemd like his clutch work was a little bit off.

10s was about right overall for that incident but too harsh considering vettel totally destroyed bottas' car with similar incident and only got 5s penalty. Kimi barely touched hamilton and got a 10s penalty. Typical fia nonsense. Can't wait charlie whiting leaves so we can finally have consistent penalties...
Once again - France was FIRST curve incident, this was THIRD. :alien:
And... he barely touched him ? Ham ended in totally opposite direction. Omg... speaking of fanboys... Thank you God for being unbiased. Once again. :geek:

imho, if a team member takes out the opposition, BOTH team members should suffer the penalty, would stop any 'tactical' accidents .

Even if charlie leaves, there will be another HUMAN BEING replacing him.
That means that as he is a human he will have different thoughts race to race, different opinions on different incidents and more inconsistent decision, humans doesnt make consistent decision, dunno what your point.

He took Hamilton out completely and still finished on the podium. All you need to know.

I don't know what Raikkonen is still doing in F1. He can't need the money, shows no ambition, retire now ffs.

Once again - France was FIRST curve incident, this was THIRD. :alien:
And... he barely touched him ? Ham ended in totally opposite direction. Omg... speaking of fanboys... Thank you God for being unbiased. Once again. :geek:
You can touch someone slightly in f1 car and spin them around. Doesn't need to be huge impact to do that. The incident was small enough that neither even had any damage from it.

And I never claimed to be unbiased. It is my opinion after all. No need to thank me.

• Deleted member 113561

10s was too lenient, again (like the 5 sec in France)
He lost more time than that (you have to calculate in the guys he had to overtake!)... it should have been a drive through, that would have been fair (in this case)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back