Radical SR3 Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 4.jpg

Studio 397 have released their second car since taking over development of rFactor 2, introducing the Radical SR3 RSX sportscar!

Built with the support and data of the official Radical manufacturer, the SR3 RSX is a purpose build club race car that packs an incredible amount of power into what is a very light weight performance race car.

"The SR3 is the next step up from the SR1 offering thrilling, cost-effective, high-performance track driving and racing" say Studio 397 on the car release. "First launched in 2001, it is the most widely produced and most successful prototype style sportscar racer in the world, with over 1,000 sold. This bears testament to its proven track record and stunning value verses performance and is surely the reason why the SR3 has been selected by the Race of Champions for the champions of F1 and other major race series to race, achieving the fastest racing lap at the last 2 Race of Champion Events. New for 2017 the Generation 4 engine offers improved reliability, better drivability and more power.

The new car comes in a couple of different configurations, with both fanciers of left and right hand drive variants catered for in the car settings options. As an additional bonus the vehicle comes with 20 unique paint schemes as designed by community members from a recent painting competition hosted by Studio 397.

Technical Specs:

0-60
3.1 sec
(3.3 Sec 1340cc)

TOP SPEED
147 mph
(141 mph 1340cc)

POWER@FLYWHEEL
225 bhp
(195 bhp 1340cc)

WEIGHT
620 kg

POWER:WEIGHT
363 bhp/tonne
(314 bhp/tonne 1340cc)

LATERAL FORCE
2.3 g

Weighing in at 501MB, the SR3 and its 20 paint schemes is available as a free download from the rFactor 2 Steam Workshop now.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation from Studio 397, available to purchase now on Steam.

rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 1.jpg
rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 2.jpg
rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 3.jpg
rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 5.jpg

For more rFactor 2 goodness you really do need to check out our rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment. If you want a great place to hang with sim racing fans, catch up on the latest news articles and engage in some pretty special league and club racing events held on a regular basis, then pop over and come make yourself at home!

Have you tried out the new Radical yet? What are your impressions of the car? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
5-6G in a entry level racecar for amateurs ,probably not very fit, it seems a bit exaggerated, unless we're talking about an F1, which is not the case. 6G may cause blacking out.

Good reading with a good background:

http://f1framework.blogspot.com.es/2014/07/psychological-and-physiological-demands.html

I can assure you that the SR3 cornering grip is amazingly high compared to even the best road car ever made. But it isn't F1-level 5 or 6 g's... I would estimate between 2 and 3 by my seat of the pants.

Wasn't the car announced in Octobre 2016 or something?

Yes, but I knew about it earlier than the public announcement from discussions with ISI. I'm sure they won't reveal when the licence was actually acquired versus announced, but it doesn't really matter. I shouldn't have said "years"...but still, it was well anticipated as the first car that was likely developed primarily by S397. The other two that have been released were well along already by the time S397 took over.

Does anyone have an issue with this car in VR that the roll cage is totally blocking the left side mirror? It really is annoying and if my car is like that IRL that would be the first thing I would like to change.

It's mid-September! Even the simplest errors like the weight imbalance haven't been patched yet?? How is this different from the ISI days?

I'm usually the last person to criticize a developer (because I work in retail and 90% of all the emails I get are people moaning about something! :laugh:) but yes I was hoping there might have been a few updates as well by now.

Fingers crossed something will be announced at the sim show this weekend.

There is only one thing that concerns me slightly though. When the car was released we were told it was created using data supplied by Radical. So if they believe that's correct (and Radical have approved the car I assume) then maybe we won't see any more updates. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm usually the last person to criticize a developer (because I work in retail and 90% of all the emails I get are people moaning about something! :laugh:) but yes I was hoping there might have been a few updates as well by now.

Fingers crossed something will be announced at the sim show this weekend.

There is only one thing that concerns me slightly though. When the car was released we were told it was created using data supplied by Radical. So if they believe that's correct (and Radical have approved the car I assume) then maybe we won't see any more updates. I hope I'm wrong though.

A racing sim is not plug and play. Having data from the manufacturer doesn't equate to an accurate result. There are many steps in between. Of course, proper data to start is always better than estimates, but good estimates with good modelling will always yield a better result than excellent data with poorer modelling.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%