Radical SR3 Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 4.jpg

Studio 397 have released their second car since taking over development of rFactor 2, introducing the Radical SR3 RSX sportscar!

Built with the support and data of the official Radical manufacturer, the SR3 RSX is a purpose build club race car that packs an incredible amount of power into what is a very light weight performance race car.

"The SR3 is the next step up from the SR1 offering thrilling, cost-effective, high-performance track driving and racing" say Studio 397 on the car release. "First launched in 2001, it is the most widely produced and most successful prototype style sportscar racer in the world, with over 1,000 sold. This bears testament to its proven track record and stunning value verses performance and is surely the reason why the SR3 has been selected by the Race of Champions for the champions of F1 and other major race series to race, achieving the fastest racing lap at the last 2 Race of Champion Events. New for 2017 the Generation 4 engine offers improved reliability, better drivability and more power.

The new car comes in a couple of different configurations, with both fanciers of left and right hand drive variants catered for in the car settings options. As an additional bonus the vehicle comes with 20 unique paint schemes as designed by community members from a recent painting competition hosted by Studio 397.

Technical Specs:

0-60
3.1 sec
(3.3 Sec 1340cc)

TOP SPEED
147 mph
(141 mph 1340cc)

POWER@FLYWHEEL
225 bhp
(195 bhp 1340cc)

WEIGHT
620 kg

POWER:WEIGHT
363 bhp/tonne
(314 bhp/tonne 1340cc)

LATERAL FORCE
2.3 g

Weighing in at 501MB, the SR3 and its 20 paint schemes is available as a free download from the rFactor 2 Steam Workshop now.

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation from Studio 397, available to purchase now on Steam.

rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 1.jpg
rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 2.jpg
rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 3.jpg
rFactor 2 Radical SR3 Released 5.jpg

For more rFactor 2 goodness you really do need to check out our rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment. If you want a great place to hang with sim racing fans, catch up on the latest news articles and engage in some pretty special league and club racing events held on a regular basis, then pop over and come make yourself at home!

Have you tried out the new Radical yet? What are your impressions of the car? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Thanks very much S397 for a fantastic release.

Pros:
  • Looks absolutely beautiful, and thanks to the community for some excellent liveries!
  • Sounds absolutely vicious
  • Enormous fun to throw around any track

Cons:
  • On my T300 at least, it has absolutely the roughest FFB of any rF2 car, if I don't dial in +6 smoothing it feels like I'm driving over rough kerbs with flat spotted tyres on most tracks.
  • AI appear have 10kmh more top speed than the player on straights.

Enjoyable to drive. Good looking car.

2 Issues with it though. My FPS drops considerably when I use this car. Every other car is fine but this one seems to drop my FPS to under 30!!!

Also lack of visual damage disappoints me. In 2017 we still produce cars that are seemingly indestructible.

You will see indestructible cars in 2018, 2019, 2020 too. Get used to it.

Maybe it's half-finished since the wet tires are also soon tm?

With my G27 I had to turn on FFB smoothing to 4 in order to stop the wheel rattling everywhere except the kerbs.

Also, the car feels easier that expected. When I watched the live stream I was under the impression that the car has a lot of power. You know when the driver gives more throttle than he should and the car becomes unstable for a moment and you have to correct with the wheel.

I expected to spin out a lot with full throttle and without driving aids.

Either I haven't pushed the car enough or they changed the car after the live stream.

Lord Kunos once said that this could be a myth because they don't have anything like that in their licensing contracts with manufacturers. Maybe because of rather simple visual damage on AC.

Yeah I think it's down to the agreement with the manufacturers and what they are happy with seeing their little babies go through on screen.

I suppose the classic example is the Gran Turismo series. I seem to remember that they managed to entice so many manufacturers simply because of the no visual damage.

However glad the Radical has made it into RF2. I was looking at a track day experience in one of these and this will come useful for practise! :laugh:

With regards to the speed, handling. The Youtube videos I've seen at Silverstone show the car probably has loads more grip than power. The driver is flat through Abbey and Copse, only a slight lift into Stowe and not much braking into Maggots/Becketts either. Ok, it's a professional driver at the wheel but it gives an idea of the level this car is aimed at. I guess more a kart on super steroids rather than a full blown prototype.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 181 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing