Racing with a potato, can i extract more FPS in this?

So, I'm starting to race, but ... my computer is a freacking potato, but I'm going to race anyway. my computer has a 1.60ghz Pentium, with 4 gigabytes of RAM, and that's all (it´s so slow tho), I use Content Manager
so I was able to extract some FPS, the maximum I can get is 30 FPS, so I came to ask you guys from Race Department if you can help me out with this. Following is a print of the Content Manager settings page.

Anotação 2019-12-05 132914.png

Unchecking enable post processing effects should get you some frames. Maybe uncheck FXAA, uncheck high quality mirrors, see if you can lower the resolution to 640x480. That's about all i see from that screen.

Are you using windows 10? Make sure your system is set on all performance settings.

Good luck!

Apparently in- game anisotropic filtering is particulary heavy on AC resources - if you need it, maybe disabling it in game and set it via the nvidia control panel or any default graphic setting panel you have that comes with your laptop..

If you need pp on, then, natural mod pp is meant to save a few fps - whether it saves you more than the blue steel that you have on I don't know. Maybe try both and compare the fps with the same setting of minimum on both.

Edit: also the custom shader patch has a few settings to improve cpu use. Maybe install it and switch all the other graphic effects in the custom shader patch off aside from the cpu optimization bit - may help may not... :)

Edit No.2: also if you have dual core cpu there's settings which can be made to help with fps. There's stuff about it in the kunos forums but don't just do a simple search and try the 1st stickied one and it doesn't help and then give up - there's other threads you will need to hunt down there. If you have dual core it may help as the latter versions of ac are more geared towards quad + core i think.

Last edited:
Apparently in- game anisotropic filtering is particulary heavy on AC resources - if you need it, maybe disabling it in game and set it via the nvidia control panel or any default graphic setting panel you have that comes with your laptop..

If you need pp on, then, natural mod pp is meant to save a few fps - whether it saves you more than the blue steel that you have on I don't know. Maybe try both and compare the fps with the same setting of minimum on both.

Edit: also the custom shader patch has a few settings to improve cpu use. Maybe install it and switch all the other graphic effects in the custom shader patch off aside from the cpu optimization bit - may help may not... :)

Edit No.2: also if you have dual core cpu there's settings which can be made to help with fps. There's stuff about it in the kunos forums but don't just do a simple search and try the 1st stickied one and it doesn't help and then give up - there's other threads you will need to hunt down there. If you have dual core it may help as the latter versions of ac are more geared towards quad + core i think.
wow, thanks for all the information man!

If your using W10 64 bit, your 4gb stick is already mostly eaten up by the OS. I'd look to adding another matching 4gb stick. (2) 4's are better than one 8 gig stick, going one stick limits you from running dual channel memory.
But you didn't mention what OS you're using.
And mentioned above, aniso isn't really a big hitter. The dif between 0 and x16 is -%1.22
In your nvidia control panel, globally choosing GPU performance 'Prefer maximum performance' is better than default. You can also choose it per Nvidia / games: AC instead.

If all your settings are set that low above and getting 30fps, I'm assuming thats only one car on track?
Also, Mip LOD 0 has no hit. -1, -2 etc will take a slight hit. Mip LOD's are for sharpening mipmaps at distance to put it simply.

But if your wallet will allow (and ram is cheap at the moment), I'd feed it (2) matching 4gb's or (2) matching 8gb sticks. I'm assuming your potato will take at least 16gb's. :D
However, your cpu is so bottle necked (and AC is CPU thirsty) 16gb would be a waste.

Last edited:
If your using W10 64 bit, your 4gb stick is already mostly eaten up by the OS. I'd look to adding another matching 4gb stick. (2) 4's are better than one 8 gig stick, going one stick limits you from running dual channel memory.
But you didn't mention what OS you're using.
And mentioned above, aniso isn't really a big hitter. The dif between 0 and x16 is -%1.22
In your nvidia control panel, globally choosing GPU performance 'Prefer maximum performance' is better than default. You can also choose it per Nvidia / games: AC instead.

If all your settings are set that low above and getting 30fps, I'm assuming thats only one car on track?
Also, Mip LOD 0 has no hit. -1, -2 etc will take a slight hit. Mip LOD's are for sharpening mipmaps at distance to put it simply.

But if your wallet will allow (and ram is cheap at the moment), I'd feed it (2) matching 4gb's or (2) matching 8gb sticks. I'm assuming your potato will take at least 16gb's. :D
However, your cpu is so bottle necked (and AC is CPU thirsty) 16gb would be a waste.
Bro... The problem is... That my PC isn't a PC. Let me explain you. My 'pc' its a ALL in one. Like a Laptop, but without The foldable screen, its my family computer soooo, yea. I Will be looking to build a old PC thats layng around here to Race and then replace this garbage, but, like i said, im Just starting so, when I got a job and get The money to upgrade that PC, i Will be sticking around with this, after all, good driver, do not need a good PC to be competitive. Thanks a Lot everyone thats helping me out with this. Sono i'll bê posting another screenshot of The content manager. Thanks, and cheers to you ALL!

You can be a good driver but if the PC you're using cant display things at a decent speed or resolution then you may end up missing braking points and hitting apexes correctly.
This in turn could potentially affect your overall speed and consistency.
But yes, building something fairly cheap would be your best bet for the future. Would probably be able to find some decent used parts that could run AC pretty well too.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 326 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%