F1 2010 Racing with a controller

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hello all! I'm new to F1 2010, and am using a SteelSeries 3GC controller (I know...cheap...). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for racing with this controller. I've noticed that turning the traction control off results in a ridiculous amount of "spinning out" because moving the joystick left means that you are cutting the wheel all the way to the left. There is no way on this controller to just give it a 25% turn or a 50% turn...only 100%. So the resulting method is generally a series of short flicks on smooth corners. I'm assuming that people who race with the keyboard have similar issues. My biggest questions are:

1. Has anyone figured out how to keep the car under better control using a similar controller or the keyboard?

and

2. Has anyone developed their own method for racing with the keyboard/similar controller that has improved their lap times? My laps are off the pace in against anything but amateur AI, even when I feel like I had a great lap and was as close to the racing line as possible.

Thanks,
Alex

Im a Pad racer, allways have been due to space and preference, i race in the RDF1C Xbox league and i think all but one of those guys use wheels, i am competitive ive had a few podiums etc but the wheels do have much more raw pace which is why ive bought an xbox steering wheel but dont think if you buy a wheel ull just jump straight on and gain 2s per lap. Its a totally different ball game, you need to think about how your going to be sat? Where will you clamp the wheel? Is it going to be a comfortable driving position? Is the screen close enough? and even when youve gone through all this when you do get your wheel you will have teething problems to sort but when you do find the right set up and you get some practice under you belt things do get better like everyone else has said on here.................
Practice
Practice
Practice!!!!!!

Yeah I agree Chris you wont gain 2 seconds straight away the wheel takes a lot of getting used to, I'll have the whole process of getting used to it again, just after I have got used to the controller :(

I should pick it up fairly quick as I still use a wheel on PC for f1 99-02, I'll most likely just have to re learn the newer tracks.

The problem I'm finding is that there is next to no choice of wheels for xbox. There is the madcatz and that's about it. I did want to get a wheel when I get F1 2011 because I'm pretty sick of steering using a controller. Do the cheaper wheels have metal paddle shifters or plastic?

There is a new xbox wheel coming out soon.... Looks pretty sick

http://www.game.co.uk/Accessories/X...eed-Wheel/~r355901/?d=1z13fvhZ1z13mmvZ1z13fqc

I'll be getting this when it comes out!!!

Hi there,
I play with a controller all the time on monaco my best is 16.911 on customized settings all manual but the traction control cuz its just too frustrating :p What i do to control the car perfectly is too slightly push the stick so do it very smooth, most people i see playing f1 are pushing it sideways all the way then let it go so it jumps back to the middle and back to the side but the key to success is to use smoothiveness, Hehe. Also practice alot like other people have been replying!

Good luck,

JV

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back