Racing Gloves???

1) It saves your wheels from getting gunked up
2) Your hands don't sweat onto your wheel getting them wet. I have an alcantara wheel and it doesn't take long for it to start feeling a bit wet when driving GT3 or Formula cars where I am gripping tight with strong FFB.

This becomes especially gross when I have people over and we're all sweating it up on the wheel.

Upvote 0
I use them for a couple reasons.. one is to keep the rim nice but thats really a bit of a bonus - if it even works :)

I have an OSW and most people that use it have a death grip on it because it's not what they are used to. You really dont want a death grip or you will get fatigued when you dont need to. Gloves can give you the grip on the wheel you may need without having to have a tight grip on the rim.
I think if I was not wearing gloves my skin would suffer and depending what rim I have I might get sore spots from rubbing so they work for me.

The only con is if I have to type something.

Upvote 0
They are used in sim racing mainly to protect expensive alcantara steering wheel grips from
becoming badly marked with grease, sweat, dirt from your hands.
Some people may also prefer the extra grip they provide.
That is my take on it:)

Upvote 0
I would only say dont use some cheap karting gloves that use hard leather and some abrasive material sown on for grip. You may damage the finish on your wheel and they wont be so comfortable.

As Kek says about some cycling gloves may do the trick. if you do need grip some of the better brand karting gloves have a really grippy but non abrasive finish, like the sparco karting ones. Something to move on to after the cheaper ones if you want more.

Upvote 0
A bit strange he says 'wearing gloves to sim race is stupid, at the end of the day you're sat indoors playing a video game'

Then goes on to list all the practical advantages of why you should. It's kind of like saying I shouldnt wear my golf glove when not actually on the course.. If I am inside and using a golf sim with ball tracking I still want a glove. His video seemed good other than that intro.

Upvote 0
A bit strange he says 'wearing gloves to sim race is stupid, at the end of the day you're sat indoors playing a video game'

Then goes on to list all the practical advantages of why you should. It's kind of like saying I shouldnt wear my golf glove when not actually on the course.. If I am inside and using a golf sim with ball tracking I still want a glove. His video seemed good other than that intro.

It's just clickbait, he admits that was the purpose of the headline where he posted replies elsewhere, for an otherwise fairly straightforward video.

Upvote 0
I use Dainese desert poon with my Alcantara rim.
If the tin turns swiftly in my mostly dry hands there's some heat I don't like. Feels like I could burn my hands basically.
I also don't have much grip with bare hands so gloves provide a nice and constant grip for extra control.

I chose the Dainese because they are full "Alcantara" inside. It's not original Alcantara but it's similar.

It grips really nicely without some rubber dots or anything. It also has two nicely placed patches for hand protection. One is a big one covering the whome area of the rim between your thumb and index finger, the other one is in the palm.

They are thin but they don't have any seems in the areas the rim would be.

I love them :)

Thought about cutting the fingertips though...

With my McLaren GT3 rim with the rubber grips I don't use them, as they roughen up the rubber and I don't really have a better grip than with bare hands.

My mostly dry hands become a tiny tiny bit wet due to the rubber which makes the rubber grip awesomely well in my hands.

Btw with my dry hands and my old g27 rim I should've used gloves... It was always slippery and I gripped it way too tightly.

About bike gloves: make sure to not buy a pair with massive "pillows". That way you'll lose details from your wheel...

Upvote 0
I have a lot of gloves, I mean a lot. for every specific reason. I don't use my real driving gloves on my Sim.
I did buy sim specific sparco hyper grip wheels but they are crap
I would suggest buying some nice bicycle racing gloves

when you have expensive rims with suede or alcantara gloves are a good idea also if others are going to use your sim. I have a pair for myself, one for the wife another for guests.

Upvote 0
If this is in the wrong place ,please move.

Racing Gloves whats the point and ......do i need a pair????
I asked myself the very same question and even chuckled when I saw sim racers wearing them.

Then I bought an Accuforce V2 DD wheel with an Alcantara covered wheel and 'hated' the feel of it (it felt kind of 'gritty' and dirty).

I had some winter cycling gloves in the garage so wore them and it instantly felt much better..... for about an hour, until my hands got sweaty and I couldn't take them off.

I was then on look out for an alternative, but very thin cool pair and noticed the following (leather front and cloth backed, but very thin) in TKmaxx for about a fiver. They are gardening gloves and are now reduced due to being end of season. I would highly recommend them for sim racing as your hands stay cool and the steering wheel doesn't feel like a Glaswegian homeless old mans dirty shaven crotch *.

IMG_5834.jpg

* I am joking of course... I have never been to Glasgow.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 243 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%
  • < 5 years