Racing Club forums moved

:DJust a comment... but when you are familar (confortable) with something you like and it is changed it seems natural to be at first unconfortable ( a little frustrated) with the new way. Over time as you use the new approach you can better decide if the pros outweigh the cons. Who knows, 6 months from now they may change the layout again and you may at first want to keep the present situation because it is more confortable to you. We often resist change. In Canada most people wouldn't think about driving without a seatbelt today but when it was first passed as a law many were upset, human nature. As the site evolves it will slowly become more efficient through trial and error. Is this change an error ...time will tell.

Thus ends the lesson...time to brush your teeth, say your prayers, and off to bed.:wink:

I personally like the change, I only went to that one forum to see the RBR events, then I would go to the RBR forum to see if anything was there too. Having them in one place streamlines it for me.

I could see if you were involved in several of the road racing games, it was nice to see the upcoming events in one place, but I imagine the people involved in multiple road racing sims at once are a minority.

But now I only have 2 places to look for what I am interested in, everything else is just running around in circles. (get it!) :)

I like this format better, I still have to watch 2 threads (Race On/nKPro), but I don't have to search through all those rFactor races, so it's a lot less messy for me! It was like this in old times too if my memory doesn't cheat me. + if it helps getting people chat on the forum instead of just signing up for a race it's even more awesome!

Who knows, 6 months from now they may change the layout again and you may at first want to keep the present situation because it is more confortable to you. We often resist change. In Canada most people wouldn't think about driving without a seatbelt today but when it was first passed as a law many were upset, human nature. As the site evolves it will slowly become more efficient through trial and error. Is this change an error ...time will tell.
The thing is, things like this on this site change at least monthly. Just an observation... it would be nice if we could just stick with something for longer before changing it yet again.

Don't exaggerate Rhys :), the racing club have been in the old format for almost 2 years. We made the mistake to assume that most users own and play various games (which is not the fact) making the old racing club forums kinda useless if you only play one game.

Smaller games like GTL, Arca, Netkar etc hardly got any attention with the overwhelming amount of gtr evo and rfactor events. Most people are just interested in one game only and therefore its much easier to have all the stuff around a game into one forum. (just like we did when we just started RD).

If you are interested in all the games there is already a solution for that like always: use the upcoming events calendar on the bottom of the forum and you are fully up to date.

Another important point we took from the feedback we got the last years is that people don't know eachother too well anymore. With the EU and US clubs split i must admit i hardly read the US events either, and missing out on all the new people that have joined over time. That will hopefully change again with a smaller community feeling.

As always we can't please everybody.

Where was I exaggerating? As I recall, we had a "Game X Racing Club" and "Game Y Racing Club" for quite a bit as you pointed out, then for a few months we had the "EU and US" arrangement, and now it's back to the former again. I was just making a general observation on the whole site, not just the Racing Club arrangement... sorry if I'm coming off as frustrated. I have a habit of saying things I don't mean when I'm in the heat of the moment... I apologise.

Where was I exaggerating? As I recall, we had a "Game X Racing Club" and "Game Y Racing Club" for quite a bit as you pointed out, then for a few months we had the "EU and US" arrangement, and now it's back to the former again. I was just making a general observation on the whole site, not just the Racing Club arrangement... sorry if I'm coming off as frustrated. I have a habit of saying things I don't mean when I'm in the heat of the moment... I apologise.

"things like this on this site change at least monthly"

I've been here since February, nothing changed there. Someone said above that it's actually been like this for almost two years.

This is growing on me... for a number of the sims, it makes a lot of sense (RBR/F1 2010/iRacing(eventually?)) - most of my other concerns were rather unfounded. Guess I will have to get used to the calendar - I primarily use the Race series, but have most of the others, so if an intriguing race came out (like the new GTR2 enduro's), I don't want to miss the opportunity.

Just a minor fix

Is it possible to add the old layout in racing club titles?
As for now, I (and certainly many more) must click on the title to see what cars that will be used in that particular event. What I mean is, add the game as well in the title like this:

US RACE 07 WTCC @ Le Mans Sunday October 24th 2010.
EU GTRE PRO @ Le Mans Sunday October 24th 2010.

At first it is all the time nice when we can see any change on the forum - at least, somebody still care about us :) (there wont be any thanks sufficient for it) - I didnt mean to devalue your job

Another point is that the forum itself has been starting upgrading by that big mount of new members, forums, games.... I just lost concentration here and it is no more that comfortable as before (just personal thing - I kinda like small groups of people, some routine system which isnt changed for an ages and is working and even in my life I am trying to change only what is necessary.) so at least that old Racing Club arrangement gave me some of that what I though is sure thing

Calendar is good thing, but maybe if there can be some icon about the game also, it would be (especially for Senad :D) better looking and more comfortable to get used to - because before I wasnt reading about the game, I just saw orange and then (i.e.) GP2, then I found all what I needed for it :)

or is maybe just time to move because I am again starting to think about useless :parrot:

Well I for one is very happy with the new layout. I have got more into reading in all the game forums again. and it also helps the smaller games out as well. I have had many more sign ups on GTR2 then we did before. I cant speak for GTL ACRA AND NETCAR maybe the admins from there could tell us there thoughts on it?

As for now, I (and certainly many more) must click on the title to see what cars that will be used in that particular event. What I mean is, add the game as well in the title like this:

I'll assume that this refers to the Events as they are listed in the Calendar.
That is a good idea, and easily done by those setting up the Event and making the Calendar entry. I always include the [RBR] tag and name of the Rally when posting the Calendar entry.

You will now see a Race Club menu in the top bar with links to the calendar for an overview of the current week as well as links to each clubs forums.

Should be real quick to get the info you need now no matter which view of things you prefer. :)

When viewing the racing club forums if you place your mouse over an event you will see a preview of the top post in a tool tip. The second line of it is usually the car class.

Personally I like the idea of the new arrangement. It makes new users to the site who are Sim specific able to easily get racing in the club. We need to think about new users and ease of transition into the community rather then the dinosaurs of the RD who have been here since the dawn of time. We can adapt, new users need to be spoon fed into our lifestyle.

Ive seen all sorts of changes along and it never really phases me I just adapt. But I remember when the arrangement was like this before on RD and found the actually discussions of the Sim were much more active.

Keith

34% of our users comes via a search with Google to RD. When for example they search anything about Richard Burns Rally they most likely end up in the RBR forum. With the old situation a new visitor couldn't see we actually organized rallies for that game as the racing was taken somewhere else.

With everything in one place it shows what we do best: online racing and not only talking :)

You will now see a Race Club menu in the top bar with links to the calendar for an overview of the current week as well as links to each clubs forums.

Should be real quick to get the info you need now no matter which view of things you prefer. :)
:doublethumb: Top job Dave, thanks.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years