racing bucket seat, or car seat

I can imagine buying a seat is like buying a pair of shoes, what is comfortable for one person is awful for another person.

Unsure where to look for a racing seat in US (Utah), but could check salvage yards for a seat.
Trouble is, I don't know what to look for, what cars were made with decent seats that could be used for SIM racing. The seat I have works well, but it will be sold with the rig when I upgrade.

I have sat in an S2000, and that seat was very uncomfortable for me. Owned a Civic Si for a little while, and the seat was comfortable and supportive, but that was before I started SIM racing, so was not evaluating it for that use. I need something that will not give under hard braking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

For simracing there are several factors which are different from street/race driving:

most of us don´t need excessive sidebolstering (except your running a motion rig)

If you´re using a stiff brake pedal sit in the car at the junkyard and press against the footwell
( I suggest using passenger seats because these are usually less worn or damaged by crash.)

If the seat is comfortable after 10-20 minutes, doesn´t bend or creak when "braking" you can start haggling with the junkyard owner.

Optimally the seat would have symmetrical seat slider bolts ( or close to that) so mounting on the rig doesn´t need to much fabrication.

My personal preference would be a cloth seat, not leather because when simdriving I "run quite hot" and have a colleage with a pleather seat who is drenched after a race.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I got a fully manual seat cloth out of a 2006 VW Passat. I did pressure wash it and let it dry before cutting a couple metal tangs off the seat sliders so I could bolt it directly to profile with M8 bolts.

It reclined, had lumbar support, slid fore/aft and had a raise lower feature.

I was very happy with it until I got my HE Sprints and started to do more track driving. Then I started to get back pain. For Rally it was great! For track with a stronger load cell not as much.

I ended up with a shell seat and my back pain went away.

While the shell seat fits me perfectly and is comfortable for many hours many of my friends do not fit in it. so it has limited that ability to let others try out my rig.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I am lucky that Corbeau is about 40 minutes away if I want to check them out. I think I'll stop by a couple local salvage yards also.

That is definitely the best way to go.

I feel like this is something that most people like myself recommend, but didn't do personally. I ordered an NRG Prisma partially based on the review by Barry on SRG, however I was rolling the dice and it could have been a miserable failure. I didn't know of any place locally that I could try a seat out and it's very possible that if I did I might have found something that I liked better. That said I think I did get lucky and it does fit me well.

Good luck doing this the way we all "should" have :)

Upvote 0
Ended up going to Corbeau, got the DFX model seat. Wanted a side mount, and this seat is working out well. It may not work well for bigger people. I am fairly small and it fits me well, with still a little room to spare.

Also looked at the FX1 Pro, but it was backordered. The FX1 was a firmer seat.

Upvote 0
Ended up going to Corbeau, got the DFX model seat. Wanted a side mount, and this seat is working out well. It may not work well for bigger people. I am fairly small and it fits me well, with still a little room to spare.

Also looked at the FX1 Pro, but it was backordered. The FX1 was a firmer seat.
I bought my dad the DFX a year or so ago for his rig. It's a great seat and I like it a whole lot more than my Cobra Monaco Pro. I'm thinking about purchasing the FX1, but I fear it will be difficult to sell the seat I already have. Shipping will be a major pain, and I don't see a local sale being that likely.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years