Racerooms claustrophobic setup menu.

Something that has allways irritated me is that the setup menu in Raceroom is so compressed that its
pretty impossible to use any meaningfull setup names - at least if you want to be able to read it in the displayed setup list.
Yes I know a name like grannys-best-setup will go but if you as me want to be able to describe some of the used settings inside the setup in its name - then its impossible.

But as can be seen in my example then it should be rather easy to widen the horizontal resolution so there will be more space to the the names.
And yes yes I know that my example has just stretched the list(and the font).
But you probably get the picture.;)
2019-04-22 tooSmallSetupNames_50prcPDrw.jpg

And here my proposal:
2019-04-22 tooSmallSetupNames-wide-50prc.jpg

I can't remember what sim it was, but they had a good way of doing things. You would name the setup as normal, but then there was also a "notes" box. You could put brief details of the setup in there, and it would be shown when the setup was highlighted in the menu before loading it. Better than try to fit all that info into a filename.

Partly agree with that.
Personally I would prefer both.
Which is a reasonable long allowed file name plus a note field comming up when you hover the setup.
I think the game you refer to is pCars2.
Hehe but because the partly faulty Save/Load setup feature in that game the positive note field doesnt really do the trick (IMO).

You could put brief details of the setup in there, and it would be shown when the setup was highlighted in the menu before loading it.
This highlight thing is the difficult part :)
Dont know Automobilista:whistling:
But good old NR2003 had both a note part inside each setup PLUS a useable note for each track across setups.
To the best of my knowledge no other racing games have adopted this track note thing.:(

i just add a letter per track , to the origanal , then can easily identify what they are
B=base
T= test
Q= quali
R=race
RS= race sprint
RE =race endurance

do i need lap times no not really

this way i can have multiple setups and on new tracks can just load a base or test across from a previous one

Andi

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to list the settings themselves in the filename?
For your curiosity
When I use a lot of hours to tweak a setup one way and then another I have to be able to get a quick overview of what settings is inside a setup.
Thats the way you sometimes can discover a pattern in what kind of setups are fastest - for you.
Its a kind of light version of the pattern recognition you can get though statistics.
I have used a more advanced notation in iRacing where I invented a grip calculator which could output a 4 integer number describing the total grip in a setup.
So in iRacing I could as example have Wing + Spring + Damping + RiHi + Diff + laptime + Grip

Note: But if you as example are satisfied with downloading others setups or does only use the default ones with few standard changes then some kind of a, b, c, d notation will be quite enough. Hehe and you will probably not be interrested in finding a "pattern" of the setups most adapted to your personal driving style.:)

With no adaptive track in Sim, don't you just need a qualifying and race setup? If I make changes due to race duration, I just name it by the length of race. Sounds awfully confusing having more than one setup for a static track. When evolving a setup from default I will run a couple setups but I just name them what they are, I generally go through a system
i just add a letter per track , to the origanal , then can easily identify what they are
B=base
T= test
Q= quali
R=race
RS= race sprint
RE =race endurance

do i need lap times no not really

this way i can have multiple setups and on new tracks can just load a base or test across from a previous one

Andi
That is how I do it more or less, just add race length in mins at the end on regularly raced cars, don't really get why you need more than a couple as the track doesn't change during a race, only between sessions, so I also have a LB for leaderboard. So most of mine would read.......
LB
Test
Quali
Race 20
Race 40
Race 60
Can't race for any longer than an hour but simple enough, have been known to run a couple test setups at once, if I've copped an eyeful of someone who's fast setup and it's wildly different to my norm.
Of course with new tyre models arriving and other features I'm keeping setups to a min as will only have to start again after any major update. All my setup work is being done on the latest cars released. Quite like the fact that tyre pressures are being filtered in, can concentrate on a few at a time, without getting waylaid dipping a toe in here, there and everywhere, which is exactly what I would do. :rolleyes:

.. don't really get why you need more than a couple as the track doesn't change during a race, only between sessions, so I also have a LB for leaderboard.
If this is something of a comment to me then it sounds like you dont understand my argumentation.
Or dont understand that there could be something more in developing a setup than changing the fuel volume.
If it is not a comment to me then its allways good to know what is best to you.
Thank you.

For your curiosity
When I use a lot of hours to tweak a setup one way and then another I have to be able to get a quick overview of what settings is inside a setup.
Thats the way you sometimes can discover a pattern in what kind of setups are fastest - for you.
Its a kind of light version of the pattern recognition you can get though statistics.
I have used a more advanced notation in iRacing where I invented a grip calculator which could output a 4 integer number describing the total grip in a setup.
So in iRacing I could as example have Wing + Spring + Damping + RiHi + Diff + laptime + Grip

Note: But if you as example are satisfied with downloading others setups or does only use the default ones with few standard changes then some kind of a, b, c, d notation will be quite enough. Hehe and you will probably not be interrested in finding a "pattern" of the setups most adapted to your personal driving style.:)

No, I get that to a point.
I'm just not sure I see the value in having the settings in the filename itself.
Presumably we're working towards a specific set-up for a specific combo.
Which, at least in my case, means going through several variations as I close in on what feels right to me, ending in a baseline set-up for that car which I can then transfer and tweak to suit different track-conditions. At which point I'll delete all the intermediate set-ups I've gone through.
I can't think of why I'd want to keep any of them, but....
To each their own, and all that. :)

Which, at least in my case, means going through several variations as I close in on what feels right to me, ending in a baseline set-up for that car which I can then transfer and tweak to suit different track-conditions. At which point I'll delete all the intermediate set-ups I've gone through.
I can't think of why I'd want to keep any of them, but....
Our setup tweaking target is probably not very different.
Because when the process has more or less ended I dont keep more than 1 or 2 of the produced setups.
But I hope its obvious from the start of this thread that Im talking about what I consider usefull in the whole setup tweaking PROCESS.

And what Im often focused on in the process is IF the DIRECTION in the process could maybe point to some alternative setup changes that I had not thought of.
The reason I use this method goes a long way back - because Im the inventor of a socalled BrunoB Setup Optimizer that (often) was able to automagically ;) optimize setups for mainly ISI based sims.
It is still possible to find some documentation of this method in this link:

BrunoB_SetupCompTool2-0-Setup-Optimizer
Brunob´s New Approach To Racing Setup
http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=6439

_Compare 24H GTR2_setups.jpg

Eventhough Im not a fan of AACs way of Save/Load setups then the way they list the setup files is way better than Racerooms claustro:poop:

View attachment 302732
Oh god no.

ACC issues with that menu:

1 - when you press Load/Save it defaults to "save" and if you press "OK" you will override the setup you want to load! you lose the setup you want to load.

2 - you can only see setups for the specific car/track you are in. If I want to use another setup as a baseline like I always do in every sim, I need to either memorize the values or go the documents/ACC/setups and copy paste them.

raceroom menus are imo very superior.

You even quoted me saying that "Im not a fan of AACs way of Save/Load setups" - so...
But if you are able to see the difference between solely the listing of setup names between ACC and Raceroom (pics) then my conclusion can be read in my 2nd post.
So much for Raceroom menus superiority.:roflmao:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years