RaceRoom | WTCR LADA Talk 'n' Drive

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Quite recently the LADA Vesta TCR made its way into RaceRoom Racing Experience - prompting me to get the WTCR cars fired up and a new Talk 'n' Drive video produced.
  • Testing the LADA Vesta TCR.
  • Two liveries available in game.
  • BOP to match WTCR cars.

First it is time for two admissions. Number one, I'm a massive fan of touring car racing, any kind of touring car racing, and the TCR category of cars is no exception. Second, I admit the fact that the LADA Vesta TCR arrived for free within RaceRoom Racing Experience kind of passed me by at the time - I read (and wrote about) the headline, but the meaning behind it didn't really sink in until I fired up R3E for the first time in a while to check out the new DTM 2020 release. Better late than never, I'm very glad I noticed as more TCR content in the sim is always very welcome experience.

So, thanks to the ability to select a mixed grid in RaceRoom, I decided to fire up the 2019 WTCR cars, add in the missing 2018 Alfa pair and my LADA teammates, and hopped into a short race on the lovely Silverstone National Circuit for another Talk 'n' Drive video - happy times, enjoy.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now exclusive to PC.

Need some support with the title, head over to the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment, start up a thread and get involved with the community today!

R3E Lada Talk n Drive footer.jpg

Last edited:
The AI for frontwheel powered cars is pretty lame, compared to the regular rear-wheel driven cars. Bought the TCR pack and the DTM 2020. DTM ai performance is pretty good. But the TCR cars where much to slow even compared to my mediocre laptimes..

The AI for frontwheel powered cars is pretty lame, compared to the regular rear-wheel driven cars. Bought the TCR pack and the DTM 2020. DTM ai performance is pretty good. But the TCR cars where much to slow even compared to my mediocre laptimes..

Interesting you should say that, as I've had a very different experience with the TCR AI - in fact, I would say for me it's probably one of the best AI experiences in the simulation.

Full disclosure, I'm aware adaptive AI is supposed to be the best option, but for various reasons I've just not got the time or inclination to get that configured at optimum - so I stay with the % sliders for now.

I'm reasonably decent in a WTCR car, and with AI on 100+ % I find I can get a nice mid pack fight, hard to overtake, just the right amount of AI aggression and passing and everything is usually very clean (well, for touring cars anyway!). For me, the combo of R3E and TCR is absolutely the best of the sim, and very much the combination I would use if I wanted to introduce someone to the title for the first time to show it off.

But, others mileage may vary I suppose - just thought it was interesting to see the differences between our respective experiences with the content / sim.

Interesting you should say that, as I've had a very different experience with the TCR AI - in fact, I would say for me it's probably one of the best AI experiences in the simulation.

Full disclosure, I'm aware adaptive AI is supposed to be the best option, but for various reasons I've just not got the time or inclination to get that configured at optimum - so I stay with the % sliders for now.

I'm reasonably decent in a WTCR car, and with AI on 100+ % I find I can get a nice mid pack fight, hard to overtake, just the right amount of AI aggression and passing and everything is usually very clean (well, for touring cars anyway!). For me, the combo of R3E and TCR is absolutely the best of the sim, and very much the combination I would use if I wanted to introduce someone to the title for the first time to show it off.

But, others mileage may vary I suppose - just thought it was interesting to see the differences between our respective experiences with the content / sim.
Could also be the track I have been driving them. Not all track AI is the same quality.
But they seem to have some difficulty with faster corners.

I've done my darnedest to dial in the Adaptive AI to my (probably pretty poor) racing abilities, and have fed the algorithm quite a lot of races at this point, and by and large I've been seeing great results with the TCR cars in most venues. However, I have tried a few tracks where suddenly the TCR AI seemed preposterously slower than on others; for example, tried to run one in Sepang and I ended up absolutely annihilating the field by ten seconds or so. I'm hoping that by completing that race - even though it was a snoozefest in which I never even gazed upon anyone else's bumper - the new laptimes I've registered will help get that track's AI tuned up properly.

I'd agree with that. Since the R3E AI is a little....*ahem* aggressive, it's actually better suited to the TCR door-banging than single-seaters.

But the AI level depends heavily on the track chosen (also one of the reasons I prefer Adaptive AI).
The AI really doesn't like chicanes or hairpins. So a level that gives you balanced racing at Norisring will absolutely murder you at Mid-Ohio.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 390 40.0%