Raceroom vs the comming AMS2.

Thoughts after watching the comparing video of rF2, Dirt, Grid, Raceroom and AMS2.
I know you cant deduce much from some videos uploaded by a fast talking Youtuber - but taking from the videos it looks like the old DX9 Raceroom does offer a lot more crisp and sharp picture compared to the other pretty unsharp and hazy looking games.

But after watching the video I thought that as much I know about the Reiza sims then they have a lot more working setup parameters than as example the puristic Raceroom.
And taken from myself then I have allways feel cheated by all the missing garage params in Raceroom. :sneaky:

After the latest upd then as example a lot of cars does display the 3rd springs and 3rd dampers.
But you are not allowed to change them.:rolleyes:
But then its just a cheating gimmic/fake param trying to show something that is to no use.
Its the same with the displayed fast bump/rebound params.
You cannot use them.:D

Another thing in Raceroom is all the missing setup params.
Examples:
Caster
Bump Stop
Compress/Expand transition
Engine brake Map
Air Restrictor
Radiator opening
Brake Front/Rear duct
Diff clutches

The reason I post this little list purely out of my head is that if AMS2 does live up to complexity from AMS1 then as example the setup puristic Raceroom will get a hard time keeping the more advanced users to not transfer themselves to the more advanced sim that offer more possibilities tuning the car.
But I admit that the more casual users unwilling or unable to mess with the carsetup probably will stay. :)

3rd fake.png

Ill wait those 3 more days to fulfill the point of this thread :whistling: Hard to say anything without seeing and using ams2 setup screen. Im pretty sure tho, im not gonna switch over from raceroom, but rather use them in parallel (i gave up on everything else tho, 2 sims is enough :p).

Im pretty sure tho, im not gonna switch over from raceroom, but rather use them in parallel
Prefering to use only one or or maybe two sims in parallel is a personal choice.
Or rather a question of how much you want to concentrate on driving your favorite cars close to the edge possible for you :)

Im not able to be good in more than one or two cars at the same time.
And its impossible for me to devide myself between 2 sims at the same time.
As an example while I was an iRacing member driving the L79/Nissan GTP I was invited to an online LeMans event using the GTP mod for NR2003.
I had to stop completely driving the iRacing cars to prepare myself reasonable for the international LeMans event.
And afterwards it took me some days to re-adjust the brain/body to iRacings awkward physics.:sneaky:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I dont believe Im the only one who after some time will fully concentrate on the sim I feel gives me most joy and satisfaction.

Agree with Rad... comparisons are pretty much impossible until we have both games in our hands. Videos show very little since they can show "staged" action, and quality depends on the video itself rather than the game being shown.

I'm looking forward to AMS 2 as I really enjoyed the original, but I already know that it won't become my primary sim. It just doesn't and won't ever have all the content I want, whereas R3E does.

Hey you two nitpickers - re-read my start post please.;)
Im not so stupid that I try to make a generel compare of the two sims.:rolleyes:

Im just saying
1. That Raceroom look sharper/crisper in the video.
2. That Raceroom is so puristic setup param wise that it will loose the param fight if AMS2 lives up to Raizas garage history(AMS1)

Thats all my good fellas. Nothing more nothing less.:laugh:

I think you only saw first ams2 footage there which is vr, no wonder is less crispy that their raceroom footage (which is **** quality as well). Later footage from ams2 reveal trailer looks way better

I see nothing in sims future I can get excited about last evolution for me was ISIMotor2.5 which is over a decade since inception

Pick your favourite engine and imagine all hardcore studios used and developed it.. say XMotor

Then would be complaints that the same model car in all XMotor sims feels the same

Can't win :D

Older cars in R3E don't have more setup parameters because the old UI didn't provide any space to display and edit them. I'd assume that these setup parameters will be editable as soon as the physics of these cars are reworked now that we have a new setup UI.

@Majuh
To the contrary of your very positive "I´d assume" they would allow this - then my suspicion is that there has allways been something odd about how the Raceroom devs consider the setup parameters.
For me it looks like they are allways trying to restrict as much use of them as they can.
Just like they dont really believe they are working:roflmao:

If we take the restriction of adjusting tire pressures in the LB competitions then I consider this pretty ridiculous.
If this is a competition without a goofy restriction to fixed setups then why isnt it allowed to adjust the tire pressures?
Are we talking about some kind of a sim or just a game here?:sneaky:

Im not exactly a fanboy of iRacing but in their analog TT(time trial) competition there is (ofcourse not) no restriction of adjusting the tire pressure.
For some of us its part of the challenge to use a racing sim instead of a simple racing game that you can adjust as much of the same settings as in RL.
Hehe and dont tell me that it was not possible to adjust tire pressure even on ancient cars from before WW2:roflmao::roflmao:

@Majuh
To the contrary of your very positive "I´d assume" they would allow this - then my suspicion is that there has allways been something odd about how the Raceroom devs consider the setup parameters.
For me it looks like they are allways trying to restrict as much use of them as they can.
No, older cars in R3E don't have more setup parameters because the old UI didn't provide any space to display and edit them.

If we take the restriction of adjusting tire pressures in the LB competitions then I consider this pretty ridiculous.
If this is a competition without a goofy restriction to fixed setups then why isnt it allowed to adjust the tire pressures?
Tire physics are fixed in leaderboard competitions. I don't think there's a point in making tire pressures adjustable when you can't be punished for extreme settings via tire temperature or tire wear.

Prefering to use only one or or maybe two sims in parallel is a personal choice.
Or rather a question of how much you want to concentrate on driving your favorite cars close to the edge possible for you :)

Im not able to be good in more than one or two cars at the same time.
And its impossible for me to devide myself between 2 sims at the same time.
As an example while I was an iRacing member driving the L79/Nissan GTP I was invited to an online LeMans event using the GTP mod for NR2003.
I had to stop completely driving the iRacing cars to prepare myself reasonable for the international LeMans event.
And afterwards it took me some days to re-adjust the brain/body to iRacings awkward physics.:sneaky:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I dont believe Im the only one who after some time will fully concentrate on the sim I feel gives me most joy and satisfaction.
I like playing different cars in different sims and the adjustment period, kind of novelty, can be fun and I guess more stimulating for me.
I almost feel sorry for iRacers for whom it's the only game they play and with one or two cars. I guess all people are different and some people like grinding through ranks or are so ambitious and competitive that driving other cars would be too much detrimental to their results, iRating etc.

But I'm far from being alien so I don't care about results that much as long as there is good racing. I can still get a lot of adrenaline fighting in the middle of the grid.

I see nothing in sims future I can get excited about last evolution for me was ISIMotor2.5 which is over a decade since inception

Pick your favourite engine and imagine all hardcore studios used and developed it.. say XMotor

Then would be complaints that the same model car in all XMotor sims feels the same

Can't win :D
I would be all for it if the hypothetical engine was objectively the most realistic. But in real live different studios develop engines that have strong and weak sides. There's no one that's very good at everything. One aspect that all sims need to still work on is tire behavior at and over the limit. If a sim'd make it pretty close to RL consistently, without tricks I'd get excited.
Raceroom as Automobilista and many others are based on gMotor 2, but have evolved it to produce pretty good results.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 455 39.3%