RaceRoom Racing Experience | VW Scirocco Group 2 Coming Soon

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have announced another new piece of content is heading to the simulation soon - the awesome 1977 Volkswagen Scirocco Group 2.
  • New DLC confirmed alongside already announced Watkins Glenn circuit.
  • The car will include a collection of historic liveries.
  • DLC set to release in December.
50695077696_40e60ffbfa_k (1).jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience fans rejoice - another new and exciting content announcement has been revealed by Sector3 Studios - the simulation will be getting some more historic content this month, in the form of the beautiful Volkswagen Scirocco Group 2 car of the 1970's!

Yes, more content is heading to RaceRoom Racing Experience this month, following on from the recent announcements of the ultra modern Audi R8 LMS GT2 machine and the legendary Watkins Glenn International Circuit in the United States. December looks like Christmas is going to come early for RaceRoom fans!

50694337493_8d22f97652_k.jpg

Historic content is always appreciated by sim racing fans (OK, maybe not everyone, but I certainly enjoy it!) and Sector3 Studios have something of a reputation for producing highly enjoyable historic racing cars, leaving a mouth watering prospect for players eager to get behind the virtual wheel of this stunning racer.

Additionally, Sector3 have confirmed the car will come complete with a selection of historic liveries too, really helping to immerse the player in what should be a fantastic experience within the sim.

VW Scirocco Technical Specs:
  • Year: 1977
  • 170 HP
  • 4 cylinder engine
  • 200 kp/h Top Speed
The Scirocco was one of Volkswagen's first successful race cars based on a production model.

50695077651_34922abf82_k.jpg

Original Source: Sector3 Studios

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, exclusively to PC.

Want to get the most from your installation? Start a thread and ask a question in the R3E Sub Forum right here at RaceDepartment!

50694337418_9d2fadf214_k.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I had read somewhere that they were group 5, not group 2 as suggested in the title.

Oh well, clearly read it wrong wherever I saw it.

The Scirocco Gr.5 actually existed aswell, but it never raced anywhere afaik. It was build by Zender :

volkswagen-scirocco-by-zender-1985-282752.jpg

As for the R3E car, it's the Group 2 version, by far the most raced Scirocco in ETCC and DRM.
On the race reports, you'll see it classified as Div.I which is normal as at this time, the DRM rules divided the cars in two classes: Div.I for Gr.1 and Gr.2, Div.II for Gr.4 and Gr.5.

Both classes have raced together on track in some DRM events, but each in its own class.
Obviously, depending on the track layout, the Gr.2 cars could fight a bit with the Gr.4 cars. On the bigger tracks,
the Scirocco and others Gr.2 didn't have a chance to compete with the Div.II cars though ;)

Nice... But yet again they introduce only one car in a new category. I wish they would release a few at a time so we can use that car in races other than single make races.

The plan is to add more Gr.2 and Gr.4 cars in the future, including some ex-DRM cars.
And as I said above, the Scirocco have raced with the DRM Gr.4 and Gr.5 cars, but each in their own class.

The NSU might also be balanced with the Scirocco, as it was a Group 2 car aswell, but of course from an earlier period. Let's see ;)

Last edited:
New R3E track = £4.50. Two Starbucks Cappuccinos = £5.20. New R3E track = Hours of fun. Two Starbucks Cappuccinos = 30 mins if you don't mind drinking the last half lukewarm.

Expensive? Given the cost to entertainment ratio, I really don't think so.

Much more expensive if you buy it piecemeal though, unless you really know you will never want everything.

People do moan about Raceroom's pricing model, but if you buy everything as a starter and then add the new bits as they come out, it isn't too bad. Hardest thing really is remembering what I do and don't have.

I really need to spend some more time in Raceroom actually - I haven't loaded it up for a while.

Hardest thing really is remembering what I do and don't have.
If you access the store from within the game (so you're logged into your account) and click the Car / Track links, everything you don't own will appear at the top displayed in full colour. Everything you already own will be underneath and desaturated. Makes it much easier to find new stuff when it's released. ;)

The Scirocco Gr.5 actually existed aswell, but it never raced anywhere afaik. It was build by Zender :

volkswagen-scirocco-by-zender-1985-282752.jpg

As for the R3E car, it's the Group 2 version, by far the most raced Scirocco in ETCC and DRM.
On the race reports, you'll see it classified as Div.I which is normal as at this time, the DRM rules divided the cars in two classes: Div.I for Gr.1 and Gr.2, Div.II for Gr.4 and Gr.5.

Both classes have raced together on track in some DRM events, but each in its own class.
Obviously, depending on the track layout, the Gr.2 cars could fight a bit with the Gr.4 cars. On the bigger tracks,
the Scirocco and others Gr.2 didn't have a chance to compete with the Div.II cars though ;)
Please for the love of God release that Group 5 version too! Wow!

If you access the store from within the game (so you're logged into your account) and click the Car / Track links, everything you don't own will appear at the top displayed in full colour. Everything you already own will be underneath and desaturated. Makes it much easier to find new stuff when it's released. ;)

Indeed, just found it. all I am short of is a couple of tracks (am I the only person who loves the Daytona road course??) a couple of 2020 DTMs, the 2019 porsche RSR and a few skins.

Just started Raceroom though and all my bloody settings have been reset. Sigh.... that said - I'm getting a new wheel for Christmas, so I suspect some tweaking will be in order anyway.

Indeed, just found it. all I am short of is a couple of tracks (am I the only person who loves the Daytona road course??) a couple of 2020 DTMs, the 2019 porsche RSR and a few skins.
You are not alone, I've been mostly playing the Daytona Road Course in RaceRoom for the last few weeks. I'm more glued to the track than the cars are. :D

And it is completely free
Aside from the content needed :)

I've been running a few ranked races lately and enjoying them. The current content is right up my alley too with the Audi TT & WTRC.
A few downsides I've noticed is that living in Western Canada, the player numbers peak at 11 am here. If your an evening racer like I am during the week the servers are a ghost town and your lucky to see 2 other players in the servers.
There are hardly anyone racing in the western north american servers forcing you to join a UK, oceanic or brazilian server which just have terrible pings of over 175ms + which makes close racing difficult. I've also noticed alot of the cars are shaking in these servers too.

North american servers are great tho!

That's something that surprises me a lot - how much talk (relatively speaking) there is about ranked multiplayer coming to rF2, and how little talk (and interest) there seems to be about the fact that Raceroom has been doing ranked multiplayer (iRacing style, too, as in races scheduled all day) for quite some time now, as well as regular bigger community races.
It could be a matter of perceived categorical relevance. Meaning iRacing is well established as the best multiplayer platform for hardcore Sim-racing whereas, RaceRoom isn't generally seen as comparing well in either sense. I think RaceRoom exists under the radar for many serious sim-racers.

As evidence, I recall requests for updates to RaceRoom motion support being met with "that game has terrible physics" (or just "Why?)". The majority of users for motion systems are iRacing members and they tend to have more influence on developers for higher-end gear so, other titles tend to be of secondary concern or get very little attention at all.

On the other hand, there are some things that RaceRoom lacks in terms of details, that lends it to being easily dismissed as a serious simulation. Some examples are track surface detail (Most evident in lack of ffb detail, tactile and motion effects) / Telemetry data being limited for certain effects compared to other titles. While there have been some improvement in certain areas more recently, some gaps still remain.

Still, I find RaceRoom to be a thoroughly enjoyable title as a whole. It certainly has it's strengths, and seems deserving of more consideration than it sometimes receives from some segments of the Sim-racing community.

A few downsides I've noticed is that living in Western Canada, the player numbers peak at 11 am here. If your an evening racer like I am during the week the servers are a ghost town and your lucky to see 2 other players in the servers.

You'll find that's true of all the sims (except maybe iRacing which I don't subscribe to, so have no clue). AMS peaks a bit later due to the Brazilians, but the active player base is so small that it doesn't matter.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 71 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 96 13.9%