RaceRoom Racing Experience Update Brings VR improvements and Ring Knutstorp!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Update.jpg

Sector3 Studios have today released a new RaceRoom Racing Experience update, plus the much awaited Ring Knutstorp racetrack is now available to purchase.

Something of a sizable update to the game, the new build comes packed with some interesting and important improvements around key areas such as yellow flag logic, physics updates based on real world driver feedback for the Audi Sport TT Cup car and a change to the VR implementation recently added to the title.

As usual Sector3 have included a raft of fixes to known issues within the simulation, and as such the game has received attention in a number of areas of concern previously reported by the sim racing community. As part of the June 2017 build release the developers have addressed a crashing issue with certain sound configurations, dedicated server problems with session freeze settings and other minor and major issues.

On a more noticeable level the new build also adds a number of visual changes to the trackside signage on a number of tracks, including a new 2017 update to Nürburgring and Nordschleife locations.

June 2017 Update Notes:

Game:
  • Reworked the Yellow Flag code logic to address all cases where penalties would wrongfully be handed out.
  • Fixed various issues with Data Displays
  • Fixed a crash occurring on some machines with specific sound systems. As a result, all sound profiles are now listed in the Sound Settings menu instead of attempting to auto-detect.
  • Fixed an issue where the player could get stuck when accessing the Timing screen right at the moment the qualifying session ends and game switches to race session.
  • Fixed an issue with external links to auto-start the game and join a specific multiplayer server when the livery ID wasn’t passed in the link.
  • Fixed an issue where “Session Freeze” setting wasn’t passed to the dedicated server.
  • Fixed a case where certain track cuts would wrongfully result in instantaneous DQ for the player (ie: cutting T1 of Anderstorp onto the pitlane exit path)
  • Fixed an issue where dedicated server could sometimes remain stuck in race session
  • Fixed an issue where DNF players could sometimes show up in the race results .json file with their logged laps listed twice.
VR:
  • Brought back the possibility to set the resolution using a startup argument.
  • Made it so that the SteamVR Supersampling setting will be used for the resolution only if the user doesn't use a startup argument for setting the resolution.
Sounds, Cameras, Physics & AI:
  • Updated the Audi TT cup handling after feedback from Philip Ellis. More biting in the front at turn in, and looser rear under braking.
  • Fixed a glitch where code would report some RPM when ignition was on but engine wasn’t running.
  • Fixed an issue where code would briefly lock up all four wheels in certain cars when control is handed from AI to player (ie: rolling & leaderboard starts)
Art:
  • Nürburgring & Nordschleife: updated to 2017 visuals after our visit to the 24H earlier this year. Main pitwall logos, old pitwall color, BMW bridge, BMW sign at Brünnchen, T13 pitwall, NGK chicane logo, carousel banner, armco flags, graffitis, new fencing.
  • Paul Ricard : fixed some floating elements after the camber changes in last patch.
  • Zandvoort : Updated S/F gate visuals to current logo of the track.
Portal & Backend:
  • Added team field to profile details. This will (for now) be used in MP race results and standings seen in portal.

Additional to the new update, the Swedish development team have released the rather awesome Ring Knutstorp track for the simulation, available in the glorious 2.079km 'GP' layout and selling for £2.63 from the RaceRoom store.

About Ring Knutstorp:
Ring Knutstorp in Sweden is almost a miniature version of the Nordschleife. It's compact, it's hilly and for many Scandinavian racing hopefulls it is the place where they had their first true test of cornering technique and raw driving skill. Keep the speed down and it is a fun rollercoaster ride, but as you gain speed it becomes a serious challenge. There is no time to relax, no place to catch your breath and no forgiving run-off areas. You are truly all-in when pushing the limits at this relatively unknown gem of a track.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play simulation exclusive to PC with additional content available to purchase via the in game RaceRoom Store.

RaceRoom Ring Knutstorp 1.jpg
RaceRoom Ring Knutstorp 2.jpg
RaceRoom Ring Knutstorp 3.jpg
RaceRoom Ring Knutstorp 4.jpg

Check out the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions with regards to the simulation. Take part in our awesome Racing Club, download a setup or just hang out and chat about the game with your fellow fans of the title. It’s all here at RaceDepartment.com!

Have you tried the new update yet, what are your impressions? Does the game make a good representation of Ring Knutstorp? Would you like to see more Scandinavian content in future? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Yep, instantly bought the track and I'm looking forward to racing on it. :thumbsup:

I also took the TT for a quick run to try out the physics changes. It definitely feels quite different now. You need to be more careful with the back end under braking or it'll step out on you. Personally I think the changes give the car a bit more character, which is good because I felt they were a bit bland before. We'll see what everyone else thinks on Tuesday in the club event. :)

1.7 GB. Wonder what they're hiding in there...
How big are tracks usually? Perhaps there's a WIP car in there somewhere... :sneaky:

Edit: Apparently, one unfortunate side-affect of the patch is excruciatingly long loading times. Many people had to wait for 5+ minutes on the loading screen while trying to get in to tonight's club race, the transition from practice to qualy took a lot longer than that, and even loading a replay takes about a decade! What's going on? :O_o:

Last edited:
the transition from practice to qualy took a lot longer than that

I really think that was indirectly my fault. I was waiting for the game to load and let me in for like five or more minutes at that point, and hearing the complaints of you still not being able to proceed to Q, I just closed the game and decided to try again. The exact moment I did that, your practice session finally ended.

Same goes for at least some of the lags you all experienced today I believe - the complaints seemed to correspond with my actions most of the time :(

And I'm definitely sorry if it really was me doing this, but I had no real control over that and was just trying to get into the game...

Yep, instantly bought the track and I'm looking forward to racing on it. :thumbsup:

I also took the TT for a quick run to try out the physics changes. It definitely feels quite different now. You need to be more careful with the back end under braking or it'll step out on you. Personally I think the changes give the car a bit more character, which is good because I felt they were a bit bland before. We'll see what everyone else thinks on Tuesday in the club event. :)
I hoping to be around to race on this next week, no sure which days as yet

Oh and congratulations on becoming a Staff Member

I really think that was indirectly my fault. I was waiting for the game to load and let me in for like five or more minutes at that point, and hearing the complaints of you still not being able to proceed to Q, I just closed the game and decided to try again. The exact moment I did that, your practice session finally ended.

Same goes for at least some of the lags you all experienced today I believe - the complaints seemed to correspond with my actions most of the time :(

And I'm definitely sorry if it really was me doing this, but I had no real control over that and was just trying to get into the game...

Given the loading times are still ridiculously long even when you aren't in my singleplayer practice races, I'd say it's probably the game, not you. :D

@Martin Fiala said

I don't think it was you Martin, my game crashed 3 times and took forever to reload and I was spectating, plus spectator overlay wouldn't update at all.

A small patch has just been released by S3.

30-06-2017

- Fixed issue with long loading times.

Known issue: If a player leaves in race 1, other players will end up in black screen after session switch into race 2. We are investigating the problem but in the meantime we suggest you avoid multi format races if possible.

@Kenny Paton, we need to keep an eye on this as it might mean changing next week's events to a single race format.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back