RaceRoom Racing Experience: Update and Nürburgring Nordschleife Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Nords Patch - GTR3.jpg

Sector3 Studios have today made live a considerable update to RaceRoom Racing Experience, bringing a host of new features and tweaks to the title alongside the highly anticipated release of certain legendary German venue with lots of corners...

Today's release is jam packed full of new features and purchasable content to keep fans of the sim entertained in the coming weeks. With a larger than usual gap between updates the guys over at Sector3 have been hard at working bringing some much needed functionality to a title lacking many features most modern gamers would expect to see in 2016.

The latest update now allows users the ability to save car setups to individual vehicles, a feature that has been strangely missing in recent years and is sure to appease many community members who have been vocal about the inclusion of this option for quite some time across the various forums. This new feature is a timely addition to the sim as the new physics update released for the huge GTR3 field will render previous setups obsolete. Users are advised to re set custom setups back to default (same applies for the steering settings).

On the subject of the GTR3 field the team at Sector3 have done some rethinking with regards to vehicles contained in the various classes across the sim and have brought across the previously GTRX class P4/5 (including appropriate BOP) to boost the growing GTR3 field. With the Ford Mustang, McLaren 650S and Bentley Continental due to join in the GT3 fun alongside a couple of other unannounced cars RaceRoom is fast becoming the 'go to' sim for fans of GT3 style racing.

To help accommodate some of these newly increased classes a variety of tracks have now been given a few tweaks to allow increased grid sizes, in the case of tracks such as Spa-Francorchamps (combined Layout) and Nordschleife grid sizes of up to 99 cars can be accommodated (PC specs allowing...) For those stuggling with performance Sector3 advise decreasing the amount of visible cars in the Visual Settings option to gain back some performance.

As reported earlier on RaceDepartment, the new patch also contains substantially revised Force Feedback settings and a new HUD, bringing new thinking to the handling of the sim and hopefully providing greater satisfaction to members of the community who have been struggling to find settings suitable for the wide range of wheels available in the marketplace at present.

Alongside the release of the legendary Nordschleife today's pack also makes available the latest instalment of the WTCC series with the 2015 WTCC car pack available to purchase in store.

Full changelog:

What’s New (Summary)

• Massive physics overhaul for GT3-Specs classes, Prototype classes, GTO class. (Please note that the leaderboards of these classes have been wiped due to the overhaul)
  • Compact HUD to replace the mini hud.
  • FFB additions. Minimum force, slip effect, ffb meter, ffb multiplier per car.
  • Load/Save Car setups. Players can now save and load their car setups.
  • Bigger Grids. Maximum opponents on certain tracks can now go up to 100.
  • Fuel management in car setup
  • Oh, and new content too.
Game:
  • Added support for Logitech G29. Please note that all Logitech users need to get the latest drivers from Logitech to have wheel ranges working properly.
  • Implemented Compact HUD which replaces the minimalistic HUD.
  • Added Bigger Grids, allowing tracks to have more than 24 opponents. The maximum number depends on the track and can go up to 100. (SP only for now)
  • Implemented FFB Meter which can be used to check the ffb output for clipping.
  • Implemented FFB Minimum Force which allows player to amplify small FFB forces. This is mostly for players that have the “dead center” problem when driving straight.
  • Implemented FFB Slip effect which simulates when the tires struggle for grip during wheelspin, understeering, sliding, heavy braking.
  • Implemented stationary friction in FFB to solve wheels that rotate by themselves while the car is stationary.
  • Implemented FFB Multiplier per car in the car setup, allowing player to adjust the overall FFB strength for a car individually.
  • Added a new Steering Animation Setting in Vehicle Settings. Player can now set the steering animation rotation to be a custom degree or to match what’s in car setup under steering settings.
  • Added Load/Save in Car setup. Also reorganized the settings a bit.
  • Removed old auto saving of setup when leaving car setup screen and related logic. Car setup will no longer auto save and the unsaved changes will disappear when leaving the game session.
  • Added fuel to car setup.
  • Implemented lap invalidation for wallriding.
  • Fixed some threading exceptions that could trigger a crash.
  • Fixed some camera related rendering thread issues that could trigger a crash.
  • Fixed random crash that could occur when pulling out of pits in single race practice session.
  • Fixed an issue where the game was only seeing the integrated graphics card on laptops with NVIDIA Optimus.
  • Changed fallback null texture format to better support older low end graphics cards that were getting crashes on startup.
  • Fixed an issue where start lights could get stuck on screen on certain occasions.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would spawn the player at an incorrect garage spot.
  • Improved Shadow split calculation
  • Added a potential fix for parts falling off car at race restart.
  • Fixed so that pitmenu, pit window and pit related overlays don’t show up post race.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur while using instant replay.
  • Fixed cars flickering in replay.
  • Changed so ambient sounds for tracking cameras are initialized after the loading is done to fix some wrong calls.
  • Optimized the logic performance.
  • Fixed issue with test drive losing audio when alt-tabbing and going back to the game.
  • Fixed an issue with returning to garage after pause.
  • Fixed cars popping in and out on occasion.
  • Fixed error messages in the new menus appearing as white text on white background.
  • Revised several controller profiles according to the new ffb additions.
  • Added Logitech G29, Fanatec CSR and Thrustmaster T300 F1 Wheel addon profiles.
  • Tweaked keyboard default profile for better steering at higher speed.
  • Fixed issue with ffb gain only being updated on device initialization which meant that changing it in options didn’t change anything).
  • Fixed so wheel range, rev lights and led display are reset when game is closed.
  • Added supplemental controller type so that devices such as shifters and pedals trigger the right dialogue when initialized.
  • Changed so control set evaluation is only done on controller that's not supplemental. This fixes the with wrong control set being selected by pedals etc and removes extra dialogs asking the player if he wants to create a profile for them.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in driver logic.
  • Fixed a freeze that could occur after the initial track load.
  • Fixed gear damage that was occurring when downshifting on cars with downshift prevention.
  • Changed LiveTimings, Race Monitor and Session Info to be part of the Menu System instead of being static variables/singletons. This is an attempt to clear up some of the mess and to hopefully fix the issue with menu being broken sometimes after session switches.
  • Fixed so “Visible Cars” feature applies on any camera, including free cam.
  • Fixed so only timing and position overlays are disabled when the tv overlay setting is off.
  • Changed so low fuel, push to pass and drs overlays are not shown if the compact data display is active.
  • Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when bringing up the pit menu.
  • Fixed issue with PitPresets not being shown if they're created mid race through the pause menu.
  • Added menu music and music volume setting in sound options.
Multiplayer:
  • Added bigger grids in company dedicated servers for testing. We will set up few servers with more than the usual grid size (up to 100) to test and would like you all to join to help us testing.
  • Various potential fixes for a crash that was occurring when switching from qualifying to race in Multiplayer.
  • Increased stack size for game to fix the stack overflow crash that could have occurred when joining MP.
  • Fixed small issue with garage screen not refreshing after session switch in MP (still showed old session type name if player was in the menus during switch).
Sounds, Cameras, Physics & AI:
  • AI now better respects track limits.
  • AI now visually use default steering settings for their car. Player’s car under AI control now also uses player’s steering settings.
  • AI cars now properly use the correct Final Ratio for their gearbox on the current track.
  • Updated chase cameras for all so player can feel the car better and be able to see enough of the road ahead
  • FallOffDistances (distance at which sounds can be heard) adjusted so replay volume on TV Cameras are balanced with gameplay volume. Engine sounds now have a longer audible distance
  • Ambient sound samples on old tracks are now starting at random moment in the samples.
  • RoadFeel Effects and Suspension Squeak sound option levels are now set to 40% by default.
  • Helicopter cameras now play a constant Helicopter sound sample (was using a fixed area before)
  • Wind sound sample (open cockpit cars) updated, volume decreased for a better balance in Stereo setups
  • New sound sample for rumblestrips
  • Fuel Estimates adjusted for all cars and tracks
  • FFB Multiplier adjustments for various cars
  • Audi 90 GTO : Massive physics update, cranked idle engine volume to 11
  • Chevrolet Greenwood (Gr.5) : Suspension sounds were missing.
  • Formula RR2: Fixed rearview camera in triple screen
  • GT3-specs cars: Massive physics update, new external sounds for the Z4 and P4/5, improved standing starts for AI’s
  • Prototype cars: Massive physics update, new sounds for all, action cameras added.
  • NSU TTS : Fixed a floatiness feeling, AI’s should now be better at standing starts
  • Hockenheim GP : TV camera files updated
  • Indianapolis: merged cut track rules
  • Macau : Tweaked AI lines around the hairpin, Fixed a couple TV cameras that were affected by guardrail / tree objects
  • Paul Ricard : TV Cameras updates
  • Salzburgring : AI tweaks
  • Spa-Francorchamps : TV camera files updated
  • Suzuka : AI tweaks
  • Zandvoort : TV cameras cleanup
Art:
  • Added new content
  • P4-5 : swapped liveries in GTR3
  • Mercedes SLS GT3 : Fixed weird polygon on hood when damaged
  • New sky textures ( global )
  • Minor livery fixes
  • Audi 90Q GTO : fixed a weird keyhole in taillight
  • Brands Hatch : Reduced bumpiness
Portal:
  • Added Improved Newsfeed system which now works as a standalone application.
  • Added fallback functionality on timeouts on steam callbacks to ensure the transaction gets cancelled if Steam store times out as it did during holidays.
  • Fixed a purchase processing issue that could have triggered “nothing to buy” message, buying twice, and things not appearing as purchased problems.
  • Fixed a store content filtering issue in competition launcher and game menu.
  • Fixed so player can challenge other cars in a class where they own one of cars in the class if they filter by class in LB (All cars in LB list).
Check out our very own R3E Racing Club here on RaceDepartment for a selection of high quality racing events for drivers of all skills and experiences.

R3E Nords Patch - WTCC 2015.jpg
R3E Nords Patch.jpg

Its here... So, was it worth the wait? How are you finding the new patch? What new feature do you like best? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Less grip doesn't equate to more accurate physics.In fact I've read that pro drivers say the modern sim's don't have enough grip.

THANK YOU! FINALLY!
We can sit for hours and hours in our chairs and pound lap after lap. You learn the driving pretty quickly. Then it starts to get boring because it doesn't seem difficult. If we had the sense of speed and danger - we'd be begging for more grip.

Uh - back to the original topic....Nordschleife
Anyone driving that track today? If you know the course, can I tag along? I need "The Ring Taxi"
I drove one lap to look at the graphics. And I've watched tons of youtube crash videos, so I think I've got that down. ;)

Last edited:
Anyone counter the AI comments? Is it bad?

I think it has to do with a couple factors.

1) Driver skill
I see that the better drivers don't seem to have too much issue with AI.
For those of us that are inconsistent, any mistake you make, then AI will drive right through you. When I watch replays, I can see AI is flashing it's lights and braking for you. Still, you get punted off if you're already on the limit of tire grip.
When you think about it, you see that in multi-player races too. Except many of us are more prone to try and avoid the collision and spin, than drive right through you.

2) matching AI to your skill level
If you're driving out of your shoes (trying to run qualfying laps, lap after lap) and trying to stay ahead of AI, you'll be making alot of mistakes - bam punted off - Or don't really know the track (wrong braking points).

If you drive within your self (Race pace), set/train AI to that level, you will have just enough reserve to have that "Push" factor so you can explore your maximum limits and make up ground on AI. But if you make a mistake, you pay - like irl.

AI is just as fast driving on grass as they are driving on asphalt. With this unlimited grip, I just wish they took more avoiding action. That's where an aggression slider would be helpful.

1) Driver skill
For those of us that are inconsistent, any mistake you make, then AI will drive right through you. When I watch replays, I can see AI is flashing it's lights and braking for you. Still, you get punted off if you're already on the limit of tire grip.
When you think about it, you see that in multi-player races too. Except many of us are more prone to try and avoid the collision and spin, than drive right through you.

2) matching AI to your skill level
If you're driving out of your shoes (trying to run qualfying laps, lap after lap) and trying to stay ahead of AI, you'll be making alot of mistakes - bam punted off - Or don't really know the track (wrong braking points).

If you drive within your self (Race pace), set/train AI to that level, you will have just enough reserve to have that "Push" factor so you can explore your maximum limits and make up ground on AI. But if you make a mistake, you pay - like irl.

AI is just as fast driving on grass as they are driving on asphalt. With this unlimited grip, I just wish they took more avoiding action. That's where an aggression slider would be helpful.

For me it wasn't about having issues with the AI in terms of fighting for position on track, I can race quite comfortably around 110% and get a decent race, and my race craft is solid enough

I was starting the race's from the back of the field, the AI were crashing into each other and driving off the track way before I was even there, I was just weaving through the carnage that was left

As for the Nords it is nice, as expected. But it is shadowing the real gem, which is the WTCC 2015 cars. This is the best representation of how an actual FWD car behaves on track, i have ever seen in any simulation, period. The dynamics is exactly as you would expect them to be from real life experience... Lift off oversteer is spot on (it was hit and miss in previous WTCC packs) and you also actually FEEL the charesteristic "digging" towards centre that FWD cars do on the limit (tyres will draw inwards under power, while the outer wheel will scrub, causing understeer with a snap pull towards center).

Awesome stuff. I will go so far as to say WTCC 2015, Audi TT and the latest DTM pack are the pinnacle of race car simulation at this moment. They're that good. Now some fixes on that open wheeler (inertia and cog is wonky) and this will be good for the future :)

Anyone counter the AI comments? Is it bad?

They match me fine on Adaptive AI after some training. Adaptive has actually worked really well following the latest updates, giving me good consistent single player (which is more than you can say for about any other sim out right now, except maybe pCars). But for adaptive to work, they need to train, so you need to run them for a couple of sessions, then return to the same set of cars and track to see it properly it seems...

As for the alien guys, maybe the AI can't match them on adaptive at all, but for me it works as expected :)

Im able to slam the throttle down were i would have spun before the update. Like there is way more grip. Especially the radical. I do not have to build up the throttle anymore, just slam it down as i do not have to worry to loose grip.

Go to the car setup menu and check the TC if you dont like how the cars behave. They have quite a lot higher TC than they did before the update to prevent exactly what you are talking about from happening.

And yes, this is realistic as Prototypes do run TC to make it easier to maintain consistent laps without getting too squirrely and losing it easily. ;)

@natedogg1867: hold on...you are referring to the TC settings in the car setup? I have to set those all to zero i guess? Never did that:redface:

Another question: i own the ADAC 2013 pack or experience and the separate GTR3 BMW Z4. Yesterday i raced both of them. I made sure to have identical car settings on both cars but they feel way different. The ADAC 2013 BMZ felt like before the patch while the separate car felt way more grippy. Is there a difference between those cars?

1) Driver skill

Not quite. The AI at 110 are still to slow for my level on several tracks (and I am average) but the issue is not their speed the issue is they crash into each other, then form long queue's behind the car that has spun or crashed and come to a standstill. They also brake at ridiculously early points then carry huge unrealistic speed through corners. They also have no concept of racing line.
Now they have much bigger fields and if you set over 32+ AI at 110% strength lap one is mayhem.
In a nutshell the AI needs extensive work from the R3E devs.

These are the two keys areas I'm on about at Nords, the first segment is frequent, pretty much every other race, in the 2nd segment in the first corner you see the two BMW's start to slide, that's normally where the main pile up is, in this instance it's a little further down, their clipping the kerbs in that area, and as a note there is only 11 AI on track

Outside of those two areas once it get's going it's some of the best racing I've had at this track

Less grip doesn't equate to more accurate physics.In fact I've read that pro drivers say the modern sim's don't have enough grip.
I Totally Agree, I think Assetto Corsa is one of these sims pro drivers hate mostly. I live in Finland and I know what is icy grip in winter time, for me Assetto Corsa is just like winter here in Finland, slipin' and sliding all over the track. But this R3E is very realistic, also Live For Speed is very realistic, you can feel the grip. With Assetto Corsa I'm forced to hack grip file to enjoy driving...I'm also big fan of Project Cars Only thing still missing from R3E is Formula 1 car!!!

Tip: Try Hillclimb Icons Judd V8 and you are able to do 6 minute laps...6.34 very easily (my first lap)...so under 6 minute is possible...

@natedogg1867: hold on...you are referring to the TC settings in the car setup? I have to set those all to zero i guess? Never did that:redface:

Yeah, you should go into the car setups and check the TC values and lower them if you prefer. Some of the prototypes now have a default TC value of ~40% on the lowest setting. For some people that may be too high. The cars will definitely be a bit more lively if you lower that... or, just try out the Corvette DP if you think that there isnt enough slipping and sliding ;)

Another question: i own the ADAC 2013 pack or experience and the separate GTR3 BMW Z4. Yesterday i raced both of them. I made sure to have identical car settings on both cars but they feel way different. The ADAC 2013 BMZ felt like before the patch while the separate car felt way more grippy. Is there a difference between those cars?

The ADAC cars have slightly different performance than the GTR3 cars. In the past, the difference was fairly big and I believe the ADAC cars were more powerful than the GTR3 equivalents. Honestly dont recall how they are balanced now, but I do believe they are still using slightly different physics than their GTR3 counterparts. So, it makes sense to me that you cant use the exact same setup values on both versions of the car.

Dont forget, since all of these cars had physics updates, it's recommended to click the "reset to default" button for the car setups as the values being displayed may be the old values. Sometimes the old values persist until you reset the setups, so that may be why they feel quite different to you right now.

Anyone please tell me the icons above the tyres in the bottom right of the hud. I think it's body damage, engine and then ? cheers

From left to right: Aero, Engine, and Gear damage. Some cars you can damage the aero and gears, but the engine may still be fully in tact. Other times you may damage the engine and gears but the aero will still be in tact.

Basically, the car will still drive as long as the engine doesnt have 100% damage. So be careful about any small bumps as that may damage the engine and kill the car.

I just uploaded a vid to the racetube section, I said earlier I had some of the best racing I'd ever had at that track and that vid shows it, probably isn't the fastest lap around but the immersion was 2nd to none, when this game gets it right nothing comes close, regardless of fancy graphics, realistic physics or anything else, when it comes to racing this game nails it

Problem was it took me close to 30 attempts to get this race and they still borked it up a bit behind me in the first corner, if they get those AI right I'll be playing this a lot more

AFAIK the ADAC 2013 cars never got the physics update, just like the WTCC 2013 grid.

Actually, all the ADAC cars have been updated again along with the GTR3 class.

WTCC 15 is on new physics, while 13/14 are on old physics. Basically all of the content released after September 2015 is on new physics. There was a lot of physics development work done over last summer and since then all of the newly released cars have taken advantage of the tire model and suspension improvements.

Group 5 is coming up soon apparently (even though they were last worked on and released in April '15) :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 208 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%