RaceRoom Racing Experience: Update and Nürburgring Nordschleife Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E Nords Patch - GTR3.jpg

Sector3 Studios have today made live a considerable update to RaceRoom Racing Experience, bringing a host of new features and tweaks to the title alongside the highly anticipated release of certain legendary German venue with lots of corners...

Today's release is jam packed full of new features and purchasable content to keep fans of the sim entertained in the coming weeks. With a larger than usual gap between updates the guys over at Sector3 have been hard at working bringing some much needed functionality to a title lacking many features most modern gamers would expect to see in 2016.

The latest update now allows users the ability to save car setups to individual vehicles, a feature that has been strangely missing in recent years and is sure to appease many community members who have been vocal about the inclusion of this option for quite some time across the various forums. This new feature is a timely addition to the sim as the new physics update released for the huge GTR3 field will render previous setups obsolete. Users are advised to re set custom setups back to default (same applies for the steering settings).

On the subject of the GTR3 field the team at Sector3 have done some rethinking with regards to vehicles contained in the various classes across the sim and have brought across the previously GTRX class P4/5 (including appropriate BOP) to boost the growing GTR3 field. With the Ford Mustang, McLaren 650S and Bentley Continental due to join in the GT3 fun alongside a couple of other unannounced cars RaceRoom is fast becoming the 'go to' sim for fans of GT3 style racing.

To help accommodate some of these newly increased classes a variety of tracks have now been given a few tweaks to allow increased grid sizes, in the case of tracks such as Spa-Francorchamps (combined Layout) and Nordschleife grid sizes of up to 99 cars can be accommodated (PC specs allowing...) For those stuggling with performance Sector3 advise decreasing the amount of visible cars in the Visual Settings option to gain back some performance.

As reported earlier on RaceDepartment, the new patch also contains substantially revised Force Feedback settings and a new HUD, bringing new thinking to the handling of the sim and hopefully providing greater satisfaction to members of the community who have been struggling to find settings suitable for the wide range of wheels available in the marketplace at present.

Alongside the release of the legendary Nordschleife today's pack also makes available the latest instalment of the WTCC series with the 2015 WTCC car pack available to purchase in store.

Full changelog:

What’s New (Summary)

• Massive physics overhaul for GT3-Specs classes, Prototype classes, GTO class. (Please note that the leaderboards of these classes have been wiped due to the overhaul)
  • Compact HUD to replace the mini hud.
  • FFB additions. Minimum force, slip effect, ffb meter, ffb multiplier per car.
  • Load/Save Car setups. Players can now save and load their car setups.
  • Bigger Grids. Maximum opponents on certain tracks can now go up to 100.
  • Fuel management in car setup
  • Oh, and new content too.
Game:
  • Added support for Logitech G29. Please note that all Logitech users need to get the latest drivers from Logitech to have wheel ranges working properly.
  • Implemented Compact HUD which replaces the minimalistic HUD.
  • Added Bigger Grids, allowing tracks to have more than 24 opponents. The maximum number depends on the track and can go up to 100. (SP only for now)
  • Implemented FFB Meter which can be used to check the ffb output for clipping.
  • Implemented FFB Minimum Force which allows player to amplify small FFB forces. This is mostly for players that have the “dead center” problem when driving straight.
  • Implemented FFB Slip effect which simulates when the tires struggle for grip during wheelspin, understeering, sliding, heavy braking.
  • Implemented stationary friction in FFB to solve wheels that rotate by themselves while the car is stationary.
  • Implemented FFB Multiplier per car in the car setup, allowing player to adjust the overall FFB strength for a car individually.
  • Added a new Steering Animation Setting in Vehicle Settings. Player can now set the steering animation rotation to be a custom degree or to match what’s in car setup under steering settings.
  • Added Load/Save in Car setup. Also reorganized the settings a bit.
  • Removed old auto saving of setup when leaving car setup screen and related logic. Car setup will no longer auto save and the unsaved changes will disappear when leaving the game session.
  • Added fuel to car setup.
  • Implemented lap invalidation for wallriding.
  • Fixed some threading exceptions that could trigger a crash.
  • Fixed some camera related rendering thread issues that could trigger a crash.
  • Fixed random crash that could occur when pulling out of pits in single race practice session.
  • Fixed an issue where the game was only seeing the integrated graphics card on laptops with NVIDIA Optimus.
  • Changed fallback null texture format to better support older low end graphics cards that were getting crashes on startup.
  • Fixed an issue where start lights could get stuck on screen on certain occasions.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would spawn the player at an incorrect garage spot.
  • Improved Shadow split calculation
  • Added a potential fix for parts falling off car at race restart.
  • Fixed so that pitmenu, pit window and pit related overlays don’t show up post race.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur while using instant replay.
  • Fixed cars flickering in replay.
  • Changed so ambient sounds for tracking cameras are initialized after the loading is done to fix some wrong calls.
  • Optimized the logic performance.
  • Fixed issue with test drive losing audio when alt-tabbing and going back to the game.
  • Fixed an issue with returning to garage after pause.
  • Fixed cars popping in and out on occasion.
  • Fixed error messages in the new menus appearing as white text on white background.
  • Revised several controller profiles according to the new ffb additions.
  • Added Logitech G29, Fanatec CSR and Thrustmaster T300 F1 Wheel addon profiles.
  • Tweaked keyboard default profile for better steering at higher speed.
  • Fixed issue with ffb gain only being updated on device initialization which meant that changing it in options didn’t change anything).
  • Fixed so wheel range, rev lights and led display are reset when game is closed.
  • Added supplemental controller type so that devices such as shifters and pedals trigger the right dialogue when initialized.
  • Changed so control set evaluation is only done on controller that's not supplemental. This fixes the with wrong control set being selected by pedals etc and removes extra dialogs asking the player if he wants to create a profile for them.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in driver logic.
  • Fixed a freeze that could occur after the initial track load.
  • Fixed gear damage that was occurring when downshifting on cars with downshift prevention.
  • Changed LiveTimings, Race Monitor and Session Info to be part of the Menu System instead of being static variables/singletons. This is an attempt to clear up some of the mess and to hopefully fix the issue with menu being broken sometimes after session switches.
  • Fixed so “Visible Cars” feature applies on any camera, including free cam.
  • Fixed so only timing and position overlays are disabled when the tv overlay setting is off.
  • Changed so low fuel, push to pass and drs overlays are not shown if the compact data display is active.
  • Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when bringing up the pit menu.
  • Fixed issue with PitPresets not being shown if they're created mid race through the pause menu.
  • Added menu music and music volume setting in sound options.
Multiplayer:
  • Added bigger grids in company dedicated servers for testing. We will set up few servers with more than the usual grid size (up to 100) to test and would like you all to join to help us testing.
  • Various potential fixes for a crash that was occurring when switching from qualifying to race in Multiplayer.
  • Increased stack size for game to fix the stack overflow crash that could have occurred when joining MP.
  • Fixed small issue with garage screen not refreshing after session switch in MP (still showed old session type name if player was in the menus during switch).
Sounds, Cameras, Physics & AI:
  • AI now better respects track limits.
  • AI now visually use default steering settings for their car. Player’s car under AI control now also uses player’s steering settings.
  • AI cars now properly use the correct Final Ratio for their gearbox on the current track.
  • Updated chase cameras for all so player can feel the car better and be able to see enough of the road ahead
  • FallOffDistances (distance at which sounds can be heard) adjusted so replay volume on TV Cameras are balanced with gameplay volume. Engine sounds now have a longer audible distance
  • Ambient sound samples on old tracks are now starting at random moment in the samples.
  • RoadFeel Effects and Suspension Squeak sound option levels are now set to 40% by default.
  • Helicopter cameras now play a constant Helicopter sound sample (was using a fixed area before)
  • Wind sound sample (open cockpit cars) updated, volume decreased for a better balance in Stereo setups
  • New sound sample for rumblestrips
  • Fuel Estimates adjusted for all cars and tracks
  • FFB Multiplier adjustments for various cars
  • Audi 90 GTO : Massive physics update, cranked idle engine volume to 11
  • Chevrolet Greenwood (Gr.5) : Suspension sounds were missing.
  • Formula RR2: Fixed rearview camera in triple screen
  • GT3-specs cars: Massive physics update, new external sounds for the Z4 and P4/5, improved standing starts for AI’s
  • Prototype cars: Massive physics update, new sounds for all, action cameras added.
  • NSU TTS : Fixed a floatiness feeling, AI’s should now be better at standing starts
  • Hockenheim GP : TV camera files updated
  • Indianapolis: merged cut track rules
  • Macau : Tweaked AI lines around the hairpin, Fixed a couple TV cameras that were affected by guardrail / tree objects
  • Paul Ricard : TV Cameras updates
  • Salzburgring : AI tweaks
  • Spa-Francorchamps : TV camera files updated
  • Suzuka : AI tweaks
  • Zandvoort : TV cameras cleanup
Art:
  • Added new content
  • P4-5 : swapped liveries in GTR3
  • Mercedes SLS GT3 : Fixed weird polygon on hood when damaged
  • New sky textures ( global )
  • Minor livery fixes
  • Audi 90Q GTO : fixed a weird keyhole in taillight
  • Brands Hatch : Reduced bumpiness
Portal:
  • Added Improved Newsfeed system which now works as a standalone application.
  • Added fallback functionality on timeouts on steam callbacks to ensure the transaction gets cancelled if Steam store times out as it did during holidays.
  • Fixed a purchase processing issue that could have triggered “nothing to buy” message, buying twice, and things not appearing as purchased problems.
  • Fixed a store content filtering issue in competition launcher and game menu.
  • Fixed so player can challenge other cars in a class where they own one of cars in the class if they filter by class in LB (All cars in LB list).
Check out our very own R3E Racing Club here on RaceDepartment for a selection of high quality racing events for drivers of all skills and experiences.

R3E Nords Patch - WTCC 2015.jpg
R3E Nords Patch.jpg

Its here... So, was it worth the wait? How are you finding the new patch? What new feature do you like best? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
OMG!!! Awesome!!! Value for money!!!

Track look and feel so real, grip is realistic, this is the best track ever released, forget all those previous versions, this is number 1.

Cant wait online hotlapping, yes sir :)

+1

FFB is my only real issue with this by now. It's gives loads of fun, nice graphics, probably the best sounds out of all, pretty accurate physics, and in overall an above average immersion factor. But FFB feels artificial and disconnected, even after the appreciated physics updates. It must be there somewhere in the settings, just as you had to fine-tune the configs for Race07, but even after lots of experimenting I still don't have that connection with the car.

My taste for FFB will be very likely different from others, but here is my config for T300 anyway. I like FFB to be somewhat clean with minimum canned effects.

Edit: It is calibrated around MP4-12C GT3. For other cars/classes I adjust FFB multiplier in the car setup.

Wheel1.png Wheel 2.jpg Wheel 3.jpg

+1

FFB is my only real issue with this by now. It's gives loads of fun, nice graphics, probably the best sounds out of all, pretty accurate physics, and in overall an above average immersion factor. But FFB feels artificial and disconnected, even after the appreciated physics updates. It must be there somewhere in the settings, just as you had to fine-tune the configs for Race07, but even after lots of experimenting I still don't have that connection with the car.
To me it feels like I am playing a different game to what others are playing when I read the forums and all the praise it gets yet when I start the game up I can only play half an hour before putting something else on. I have a disconnect with this game

To me it feels like I am playing a different game to what others are playing when I read the forums and all the praise it gets yet when I start the game up I can only play half an hour before putting something else on. I have a disconnect with this game
To each their own (it's not my go-to sim either), but @Bram and @Lorenzo Bonder could tell some words about the amount of joy we got out of the new update. Waaaaaay into the night (almost the morning as well)... :D

What I found that the FOV was responsible for 60% of my initial issues with the game, I could fix that by manually setting a precise percentage in the graphics config. It just didn't match... Car was behaving strangely, turns had strange proportions, but only until I put in my calculated value for 33° instead of the 0.x% nonsense that's in the settings.
Another 20% was the steering lock, for some cars it felt too direct, too loose for others, easy fix.
Now the remaining 20% is FFB, which I could improve with the settings, but never could get it right. Still, with the good group of guys on the grid, it can be a blast (just as most sims). Not perfect, but not irritating either. At least for me. But I might be too addicted to WTCC, Race07, GTR2, GTL... Oh wait... I'm getting too old and too sentimental! :D

I picked up the WTCC 2015 content last night. I couldn't bring myself to spend over $10 (USD) for Nordschleife though...that's steep for a single track in my opinion.

It's all about perspective I guess. I could spend $10 on a couple pints or a couple Mocha Grande Latte Foo-Foo Starbucks drinks and I'd only get maybe an hour of enjoyment out of them. Or I could spend $10 on the R3E Nords and have dozens and dozens of hours of enjoyment. The latter is a far better bang for your buck. Sure, it's twice as much as a normal R3E track, but it's also twice the track and probably took twice the work.

Great version of Nords - having driven it in real life I can say that this is the first version (and I think have driven every sim version in existence starting from GPL etc etc) that gets the Karussel spot on or as real as it gets in a sim
Big pity is that the AI are rubbish, ran 36 of the idiots at Red Bull Ring and they were dumber than ever - brake in wrong places, traffic jam to a standstill.

I picked up the WTCC 2015 content last night. I couldn't bring myself to spend over $10 (USD) for Nordschleife though...that's steep for a single track in my opinion.
It's almost the same price of a laser scanned iRacing track...
I think it's the price of this kind of quality... and this is not an ordinary track, it's huge monster...
IMO the price is not abusive...

It's all about perspective I guess. I could spend $10 on a couple pints or a couple Mocha Grande Latte Foo-Foo Starbucks drinks and I'd only get maybe an hour of enjoyment out of them. Or I could spend $10 on the R3E Nords and have dozens and dozens of hours of enjoyment. The latter is a far better bang for your buck. Sure, it's twice as much as a normal R3E track, but it's also twice the track and probably took twice the work.

IKR?!
I started tracking all the stuff that nickel and dimes you to death.
Copenhagen ($600.00)
Netflix ($120.00)
Gym membership ($120.00 no gym here for that company)
Cable tv ($1200.00)
Starbucks ($500)
That's $2540.00 a year!??? :confused:
Then I quit/canceled them.
That doesn't even include saving money by not eating out as often.

I could build a top of the line computer for the money I saved.....or that sim cockpit.
I'm fed up with my wheel/servo sliding all over my table, while driving and my chair sliding backwards when I press my brake pedal. :rolleyes:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back