RaceRoom Racing Experience | Significant Sound Improvements Headline New Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have today dropped a new update for their RaceRoom Racing Experience simulation - adding plenty of new improvements as well as adding the LADA Vesta to the growing list of free content.
  • Lada Vesta touring car now available as free content.
  • Significant sound improvements across the game.
  • Various AI fixes and art updates.

A new and substantial update has been released for RaceRoom Racing Experience today. Weighing in at no less than 5.7GB, the update contains a mix of both content and quality of life improvements to the simulation - the undisputed headline of which has to be yet more improvements to the already outstanding audio within the title. Yes, the racing game with arguably the best audio experience in the business has somehow been improved even further - with Sector3 having added various new effects and samples to R3E in what should be a nice step up in immersion for players to experience when out on track.

RaceRoom Middle.jpg

Although this is a sizeable update and we alluded to new content at the start of the article, that content isn't quite in a playable yet. This update has added the 2020 specification DTM cars from Audi and BMW, however these are still being worked on by the Studio and will only immediately be available in competitions, with single player content DLC release expected later in the year.

Other highlights from the new build include various art passes to update select tracks within the title, AI improvements at some tracks and more minor tweaks and adjustments across the game.

You can check out the full update notes from Sector3 Studios below:

RaceRoom Update Notes (26.08.20)

• Lada Vesta is now free to play with 2 liveries, playable against WTCR car classes.
  • Prepared content for upcoming DTM 2020 competitions
  • Sounds - Cockpit cameras now feature backfire samples specific to the interior of the car, bringing extra life and vibrance.
  • Sounds - New lot of samples for backfires and made their patterns richer. Amount of backfire is car dependant and much more diverse than before.
  • Sounds - Brake disk whine samples volume is now affected by the brake disk temperature. New recordings of brake whines for GT cars.
  • Sounds - New fuel pumps samples
  • Sounds - New gravel sound samples.
  • Sounds - Porsche 911 GT3 Cup - New sound recordings
  • Drag Reduction System and Push to Pass are now split in two unique control bindings
  • Added a key binding for FFB Multiplier, allowing to adjust this setting from inside the car.
  • Moved some old HUD overlays to the butterHUD system (Traction Control, Brake Bias)
  • Disabled the in-game screenshot capture system, as it caused conflicts with and was inferior in quality to Steam’s own screenshot capturing. Visit your Steam client settings menu to bind a key and select a folder for your screenshots.
  • Changed so the graphics_options.xml located in your Documents folder now contains variable names, making it easier to edit some settings through notepad.
  • Dedicated server - Scheduler - Improvements to handling of different time zones between browser and host machine
  • AI - Porsche 911 GT3 Cup + Sprint - Tweaks to improve their handling of slow turns
  • AI - DEKRA Lausitzring - Fixed AI braking later than the pit lane entrance gate.
  • AI - Dubai - Fixed some broken waypoint that was causing AI’s to stop driving
  • AI - Nordschleife - Calmed down some AI’s around the Adenauer forest.
  • Art - DEKRA Lausitzring - Fixed the sudden disappearance of certain track objects while sitting in the gravel in turns 8 and 10.
  • Art - Sachsenring - Updates to bring it to 2020 visuals.
  • Art - Spa-Francorchamps - Updates to bring it to 2020 visuals
  • Renamed Mazda Laguna Seca into Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, available exclusively on PC.

Want to get the most from the sim? Head over to the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread - get involved with the community today!

RaceRoom Footer.jpg

Yes, it could very well be caused by the VR setup.
I'm not VR equiped yet, but I'll still advice you to check in your VR device settings if you have a "delay compensation" or something similar. It could help you to get rid of the problem.
Also check if some extra FX is not enabled in your Windows sound settings ;)

I am experiencing the same issue in VR as well, driving over curbs the sound effect doesn't kick in until I am nearly in the center of the track.
Tire lock-ups and screeches are also randomly delayed and kicking after you've come off the brakes.
I am also having issues with simhub not putting out any signals? I realize that has nothing to do with you guys but any advice would help.

All my other sims work fine...just launch the app and game, done.

Also, has anything come up with the random Thrustmaster users having issues with car damage after driving over curbs?
There's a thread on the sector3 form about it.
Seems the only fix is to turn damage down to limited.

Regarding AI do they follow blue flags when exiting the pits in practice?
Done several practices and they just come flying out onto the racing line.

Another thing I noticed...
Zolder with TC Cup cars if your on the racing line going into the 2nd last turn before the start/finish line, if there is an AI behind you going to the pits they will just smash into the rear of you while your braking for the corner to go to the pits.

Last edited:
I am experiencing the same issue in VR as well, driving over curbs the sound effect doesn't kick in until I am nearly in the center of the track.
Are either of you routing audio through another source? The only time I've had a very slight audio delay was when I had audio routed via VoiceMeeter when trying to separate game audio from TeamSpeak for streaming.

Regarding AI do they follow blue flags when exiting the pits in practice?
I don't think they respect blues at all during practice, do they? Feels like they're actually racing/defending even when they're on an outlap.

There is no such thing and other titles, including audio benchmark ACC, has no issues.
Suspect something with mixer in R3E as it seems started happening after the update.

ACC is good, maybe on par with R3E, but SimBin/Sector 3 has been nailing sound since Race 07:

It's bothersome no sim takes engine sounds seriously.

I've always thought engines sound like vacuum cleaners in racing titles.

• Deleted member 197115

Are either of you routing audio through another source? The only time I've had a very slight audio delay was when I had audio routed via VoiceMeeter when trying to separate game audio from TeamSpeak for streaming.

I don't think they respect blues at all during practice, do they? Feels like they're actually racing/defending even when they're on an outlap.
Nope, OEM speakers on Odyssey plus, and no delays with either AC or ACC, tested them all back to back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the racing game with arguably the best audio experience in the business has somehow been improved even further - with Sector3 having added various new effects and samples to R3E in what should be a nice step up in immersion for players to experience when out on track.

No argument from me. The best audio in the business, and they don't rest on their laurels. Thank you Sector3 :thumbsup:

• Deleted member 197115

What au
That combo is fine for me on an Index. Do like those brake squeals !
What audio preset do you use. So far I've only tested Aragon with PORSCHE 911 CARRERA CUP, but I do remember delayed sound from curbs even before update. I think I am on 5.1 preset, need to double check.

• Deleted member 197115

Seems like I was able to fix the delay.
Deleted Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\audio_options.xml"
and chose Dolby Surround as audio output option, not sure if this is the right speaker configuration for WMR with Windows Sonic for Headphones enabled, but it sounds awesome.
What is recommended preset for VR anyway, headphones?

ACC is good, maybe on par with R3E, but SimBin/Sector 3 has been nailing sound since Race 07:

It's bothersome no sim takes engine sounds seriously.

I've always thought engines sound like vacuum cleaners in racing titles.
In particular Reiza games have vacuum sounding cars. So irritating as other parts of their games are done so well. Just the engine stuff is so thin, and tinny sounding with zero depth to them. AMS 1 I was able to replace them with better comminunity produced material, with AMS2 no such luck.

• Deleted member 197115

So what speaker configuration is recommended for VR headset? Headphones or something else? Technically they are headphones but the VR audio driver does 3D spatial positioning, so not sure really.
Seems like I had good results with both headphones and Dolby Surround.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%