RaceRoom Racing Experience: Porsche 934 Turbo and Update Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Porsche Update.jpg

Sector3 Studios have released not only the epic Group 4 Porsche 934 Turbo RSR, but also a new update that finally adds selectable AI!

RaceRoom Racing Experience has been updated today, adding a rather pleasing new list of updates and fixes to the title, including after much, much, much discussion within the community - selectable AI cars, drivers and liveries within the offline portion of the game!

Yes, you heard it right - from now on players setting up a single player race within the simulation will be able to choose which AI drivers join them on the grid - at last!

Every patch, we have had the same question in the comments: "When will the AI Selector come?". Well this time we're glad to finally bring it to you! You have control over the selection of cars you will race against on the track, down to the livery the AI will use. We've also worked on the AI behaviour to allow them to manage the slower traffic in multiclass conditions. said Sector3 Studios of the release notes announcement earlier today.

Of course the new build isn't the only news coming from everyone's favourite (only?) Swedish sim racing development team.. oh no, far from it in fact. Also released today comes a new piece of content, the first of three planned "new" Porsche models set to be deployed to RaceRoom Racing Experience in the coming months. Today we now get hold of the Porsche 934 Turbo RSR of Group 4 fame. Looking resplendent with no less than 37 liveries as part of the release, the latest Porsche to be added to R3E retails for around £3.59, and can be purchased HERE.

Update Notes - December 19th

Download size = 313.5 MB
Client version = 0.3.0.6526
Client BuildID = 3411532
Dedi version = 48.0.779
Dedi BuildID = 3411541

Game
  • Added AI Selector to Single Player event menus. Allows to pick and choose what AI's will drive, down to the livery. You can save and load AI selections.
  • AI - Various improvements to AI behavior when navigating through slower traffic in a multiclass event.
  • Test Drive from the store now allow free choice of driving assists, and also allow access to the car setup.
  • Default driving assist preset is now Amateur instead of Novice.
  • Improved the Challenge Ghost download procedure to reduce download failure errors.
  • Fixed a mis-alignement of the text in the position bar after cycling through the position bar styles.
  • Fixed the multiplayer server list that wasn't always updating even though new server information was available.
  • Fixed a Driving Asssist issue where disabling the factory traction control in car setup had the result of enabling the artificial traction control.
  • Fixed the wear / fuel multiplier 'X4' icon in the MP server list that was showing greyed out.
  • Fixed a motion blur issue with triple screen when vehicle was moving backwards.
  • Fixed a crash on startup when the servers were in maintenance mode
  • Fixed a crash occuring while browsing through trackside cameras
  • Fixed a crash occuring upon multiple track loading sequences
Physics / Sounds / AI / Cameras
  • Porsche Cayman CS and MR : default car setup modified for better stability. Reduced the drop of downforce occuring when airflow isn't directed straight on the rearwing (ie: when going sideways, rearwings are less efficient). / Smoothed out the upshifts to closer replicate the PDK gearbox. / Improved AI behavior all around.
  • Callaway C7 R : Car was bottoming out a lot at turns like Eau Rouge, so moved the splitter feeler up a bit, increased high speed bumping, allowed another 5mm of ride height adjustment on the front.
  • Modified tyre change times for GT1, GT2, GT3 and GT4 classes
  • Added specific pitstop timers for GTO, Touring Classics, Group 4 and Group 5.
  • Formula RaceRoom X-17 : Added track specific gear ratios
  • GT2 : Improved AI behavior all around
  • Ruf RT12R GT2 : BOP adjustment (leaderboard entries were cleared for this car)
  • GT4 : added functional handbrake (because sometimes it's useful)
  • Mercedes DTM 1995, 2003 and 2005 : Improved AI behavior all around
  • BMW M235i Racing : Fixed AI sometimes struggling to leave the pitbox
  • Group 5 cars : Fixed AI sometimes struggling to leave the pitbox
  • GTO : Fixed AI sometimes struggling to leave the pitbox
RaceRoom Porsche Update 3.jpg

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play racing simulation from Sector3 Studios.

If you like RaceRoom and want to keep up to date with all the latest news and discussions, head on over to the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum. We host a whole range of top quality club racing events in our Racing Club, plus we offer a great place to hang out and discuss the game with your fellow R3E fans. Pop over and say hello today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Agreed.
Bought it, went straight to Road America on stock setup hmm let's see...
Come out of the pits wide open, jabbed the brakes for turn one ready to start my right turn, the car dives hard left and straight into the wall.
WTF?
Brake balance needs tuned straight away or you've had it.
Much better now I can push a little without dying.

Huh...

I tried the car for the first time on the Nordschleiffe. At the beginning of the lap I noticed a tendency to rotate into the turn on braking. Not an issue as I do this with Porsche's in sims as the heavy rear is good for that. What I did not expect was the instability under compression (Kottenborn, Fuchsrohre and Tiergarten) and when the wheels got light over certain downhill starts such as Pflanzgarten and Sprunghugel.

I immediately changed the bias to reflect what I saw as the problem and also adjusted the rear springs and anti-sway bars (harder). I also gave the rear camber a kick up to 3.0.

It seemed to help but in all of the above areas I still had problems. I would think that it was due to a physics issue until I saw a video of Leh Keen wrestling the same type of car around Sebring recently. Keen was sawing the wheel back and forth throughout the whole lap of the track. I thought he was going to lose it a few times.

I knew that the Semi-Trailing arm suspensions in these model cars were troublesome (lift off oversteer seemed to be the biggest issue) but I had no idea how badly.

I just figure if that car can give Keen fits while he is driving it, my efforts were herculean in comparison, thus ended as should be expected.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.6%