RaceRoom Racing Experience | Massive Update, Loads Of New Content

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have released a mega new December update for the RaceRoom Racing Experience simulation - adding plenty of fixes, new physics, new cars and new tracks - it must be Christmas!
  • 5 new cars released.
  • 2 new tracks.
  • New tyre model and physics updates.
Big dose of happiness for fans of RaceRoom Racing Experience fans today as Sector3 Studios have released a massive new update in time for the holiday season, bringing several pieces of premium DLC content alongside a healthy dose of fixes, tweaks and physics developments.

50694337098_99f5510ead_k.jpg

In terms of content we've already shared links to the various announcements, but just to recap briefly the new releases as part of today's build are as follows:

• Audi R8 LMS GT4 (2020)
  • Audi R8 LMS GT3 EVO
  • Audi R8 LMS GT2
  • Volkswagen Scirocco Group 2 (1976)
  • Volkswagen ID. R
  • Brands Hatch Grand Prix layout
  • Watkins Glen International, with four layouts.
The update itself weighs in at a healthy 5.3gb in size and comes with a nice range of new features that arrive within the simulation for the first time. Chief amongst these are a brand-new tyre model that has been applied to a number of vehicles within the simulation, including several of the older cars loved by the community.

Also very cool for the latest build is the addition of engine and throttle maps for various cars, something that has been requested for a long time by the R3E community, and many improvements to the audio on a number of the cars.

You can check out the full update notes below:

Physics engine:
  • Physics engine - Added support for engine maps. Cars featuring these will have special settings in the car setup menu. Control bindings are also added to alter the map from inside the cockpit, which not all cars support.
  • Physics engine - Added support for modifying the amount of Engine Braking from the car setup.
  • Physics engine - Added support for throttle maps. Those are not tweakable in car setup but are specific to each car.
  • Physics engine - Revamp of the turbo simulation for better realism of spool / throttle management.
  • Physics engine - Added support for Energy recovery system, which is adjustable for electric & hybrid engines in the car setup menu as well as through a key bind from the cockpit.
    [Read More about those physics engine updates here]
  • Physics engine - Revamp of the aerodynamics simulation of the diffuser to better simulate diffuser stalls when too close to the ground.
    [Read More about the diffuser stalls here]
50722514706_1b3750dfaf_k.jpg

Tyre model updates:
The following cars are brought to v4.1:
[Read more here about the full details on tyre models in RaceRoom]
  • Audi Sport TT Cup
  • Audi TT RS VLN
  • CUPRA eRacer
  • DTM 1992
  • Formula RaceRoom 90
  • Formula RaceRoom Junior
  • Group 2 (new class)
  • Group 4
  • Group 5
  • GT2
  • GT3
  • GT4
  • GTE
  • Hillclimb Icons
  • Mercedes DTM 2003 and 2005
  • NSU TTS
  • Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (sprint & endurance specs)
  • Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964)
  • Silhouettes
  • Touring Classics
  • Volkswagen ID.R
  • WTCC 14-15-16-17
  • WTCR 18-19

Engine maps
The following cars are featuring engine maps:
  • Audi TT RS VLN
  • CUPRA eRacer
  • Formula RaceRoom 90
  • Formula RaceRoom U.S.
  • Formula RaceRoom X-17
  • Group 5
  • Group C
  • GT3 classes
  • GTE
  • GTR2 class
  • Nissan Skyline (Touring Classics) has 2 engine maps
  • P1
  • P2
  • Mercedes DTM 2003 and 2005
  • Volkswagen ID.R

Dedicated server:
  • Added “Skip Qualifying” option. If this is enabled, the server will fetch leaderboard laptimes of all connected players for the current track layout and the performance index of the car they’re driving. The starting grid of the race will be defined by those lap times.
  • Added “Prevent false start” option. If set to off, players will be able to jump the start of the race and receive a penalty for doing so.
  • Added support for race duration in laps.
  • Added an option for rolling or standing starts for each race session. A rolling start is right now still AI controlled, but we aim for human control rolling starts in 2021.

Changelog:
  • New replay menu
  • Spectator - New data is available through the API. All changes are listed on the github page.
  • New data in shared memory API for Traction Control level, Engine Map and Engine Braking settings.
  • Unification of cut detections between the reputation system and the cut corridors. Previously, an incident point for an off-track would not always result in the invalidation of the lap.
  • Added a key bind to override traction control and allow for that quick 180 recovery from a spin.
  • Pitstops - WTCR car classes are now using the same pitstop timers as the GT4 car class.
  • Physics - Tweaks to behaviour of gravel and grass.
  • Physics - WTCR car classes now make use of the Anti-Lag System that had been developed for DTM 2020.
  • Physics - Fixed tyre pressure that wasn’t being set properly on preheated tyres which affected leaderboards.
  • Physics - Launch control logic change where it will now disengage when upshifting from 1st gear.
  • Sounds - ALS sound effects added to WTCR cars
  • Sounds - New external sounds for the Alfa Romeo Giulietta TCR (18&19)
  • Sounds - New external sounds for the Radical SR9 AER
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the BMW M4 DTM 2020
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the Peugeot 308 TCR
  • Sounds - Improved cockpit and external sounds of the Porsche 962C
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport
  • Sounds - New cockpit sounds recording for the Audi RS 5 DTM 2020
  • Sounds - New cockpit sounds recording for the Chevrolet Dekon Monza
  • AI - Countless tweaks and improvements to AI behaviour and their racelines around tracks
  • Added support for 32:9 monitor ratios
  • Art - Bathurst updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Imola updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Portimao updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Oschersleben - Added a missing brake marker at turn 1 and a bump in the road that was missing after turn 3.
  • Added support for manual inlaps at the end of the race session. This option is currently accessible through Gameplay Settings, but we eventually plan to make it a server option just like driving assists so it can be forced on or off.

Original Source: Sector3 Studios.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, exclusively to PC.

Want to get the most from your installation? Start a thread and ask a question in the R3E Sub Forum right here at RaceDepartment!

50678779282_0bd9c3c444_k.jpg

Last edited:
Just saying, but the driver model is tied to the livery. So different liveries also feature different gloves, see here and here.
I understand that, but from what I saw in the two videos you linked...they were both generic no name brand gloves....some better than others
The first video uses the same liverie as I have and it honestly looks like a brand new tennis ball with finger's lol

It would be nice to see a little more detail/branding in the gloves.....if some have them why can't they all? :)

• Deleted member 197115

That's a good thing. I hate it when sims put things on the windscreen as it's distracting and often looks crap, especially in VR. AMS 2 is a great example.
Personal preferences aside, has anyone from Sector 3 confirmed that this is intentional and not just shortcut content creators took?
What about Scirocco, same problem? It drives pretty terrible with some gaps in FFB but I've failed pay attention to the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that, but from what I saw in the two videos you linked...they were both generic no name brand gloves....some better than others
The first video uses the same liverie as I have and it honestly looks like a brand new tennis ball with finger's lol

It would be nice to see a little more detail/branding in the gloves.....if some have them why can't they all? :)
I guess it comes down to licensing. This is the real racing suit, and they would probably need to get permission of all the individual sponsors if they wanted to replicate it. You have to keep in mind that most of the GT4 liveries are customer teams. The GT2 Audi on the other hand only has fictional liveries because the car didn't even race in real life yet.

Last edited:
The FFB on my G27 is quite bad... can you suggest some good settings for it (too many parameters for my taste)?

S3's default G2x profiles have very odd default values for some reason.

What I did (G920 here) was that I looked up the key values from Fanatac/Thrustmaster/etc. RCS profiles, and I found that they were all very different compared to Logitech, but surprisingly close to each other - and they give a much better experience on Logitech as well.

They are very similar to what CrimsonEminence proposed above - vertical 50%, lateral 50% everywhere, steering rack very low (I personally have it on 0%, like Crimson), understeer also very low (I used to have it at 20%, lately 15%, now about to try 10% and 5% as I still feel excessively light front during understeer compared to rF2, etc.)

Last edited:
Have you played iRacing? Because the way dirt and grime builds up on the windshield over time in that game is excellent and one of my favorite little minor features in it. Baffling how many sims don't have that feature.

I'll never forget the first time I saw that in iRacing, I went ape-**** thinking my Monitor had developed a sudden mass Black Dot malfunction, so much so I nearly crashed. Got to the end of the race and...yep...you guessed it, I tried to wipe it with my finger.....
I went back to menu and everything was fine, so went to the Forums to investigate, learnt about dirt build up, laughed to myself "what a dickhead!" whilst still sensing a massive relief that my monitor wasn't dying after all!

Nowadays in VR this is a brilliant little immersion detail, I especially like it in AMS2 with rocks and chunks of rubber being thrown up by the car in front, it's the little things that add a lot.

S3's default G2x profiles have very odd default values for some reason.

What I did (G920 here) was that I looked up the key values from Fanatac/Thrustmaster/etc. RCS profiles, and I found that they were all very different compared to Logitech, but surprisingly close to each other - and they give a much better experience on Logitech as well.

They are very similar to what CrimsonEminence proposed above - vertical 50%, lateral 50% everywhere, steering rack very low (I personally have it on 0%, like Crimson), understeer also very low (I used to have it at 20%, lately 15%, now about to try 10% and 5% as I still feel excessively light front during understeer compared to rF2, etc.)

Lateral versus vertical: I am getting more greatness out of 70 vertical on that setting - huge 'feel' improvements and its not throwing anything off. Lateral still 50. Tx wheel and a shed-ton of more feedback and information from the car. Its providing [as per what I expect it does] a lot more forward movement information.

All settings

Game is already great at showing lateral, and of course forward if you allow for it. Even at 50 its not a complaint, but at 70 its way more apparent in your driving style versus what you expect - so you feel the propulsion/velocity. There's elevations, turns, bumps, etc, so I like sensing this in the wheel and accommodating it.

You probably won't regret it and nothing lost in trying it.

100 intensity, then 0, 0, 0

100 intensity (again for turning)
Then 3 min force (but maybe you like 5, in Rf2 I keep this at 2 though and others like it off; for this 'blend' think smooth coffee, its at 3 and present...but nothing is ever sticking its ugly head out),

20 understeer, vert 70, lat 50, steering rack 35 (tx is a good wheelbase not great but a positive-adequate; it can roll with some punches and so 35 is good and you will probably get a sense of the vert movement)

slip 15 (too high and it can affect the whole spectrum I think)

engine 60 (I do like to feel it in the wheel as per a motorbike and some cars I have driven, numb hands are a part of not "glamping" = camping with amenities)... if you do not put this up high you won't experience any engine feel to a decent degree and FYI at 60 its not overdone.

curb 40, shift 30, collision default at 200. Curbs should literally spaz you out - especially in the lower arms! lol ever tried going over a speed bump fast? No... it does not jump your arms, or any bumps fast - it unsettles your suspension potentially and rattles the underbody. So I like to accept simulation for that. But if you don't appreciate those things you can turn it down and it won't ruin your day.

On a tx wheel - my experience across all games, this and custom AMS2 - brilliant. I won't lie, I love it. And it goes across most cars, maybe the f90's you need to turn it up because those are a little too smooth, but apart from that, the weight and feel and detail and movement, etc as you would expect is there. And importantly it helps you drive rather than tries to impress you with jitters and whatnot, like in AMS2

Last edited:
Lateral versus vertical: I am getting more greatness out of 70 vertical on that setting - huge 'feel' improvements and its not throwing anything off. Lateral still 50. Tx wheel and a shed-ton of more feedback and information from the car. Its providing [as per what I expect it does] a lot more forward movement information.

All settings

Game is already great at showing lateral, and of course forward if you allow for it. Even at 50 its not a complaint, but at 70 its way more apparent in your driving style versus what you expect - so you feel the propulsion/velocity. There's elevations, turns, bumps, etc, so I like sensing this in the wheel and accommodating it.

You probably won't regret it and nothing lost in trying it.

100 intensity, then 0, 0, 0

100 intensity (again for turning)
Then 3 min force (but maybe you like 5, in Rf2 I keep this at 2 though and others like it off; for this 'blend' think smooth coffee, its at 3 and present...but nothing is ever sticking its ugly head out),

20 understeer, vert 70, lat 50, steering rack 35 (tx is a good wheelbase not great but a positive-adequate; it can roll with some punches and so 35 is good and you will probably get a sense of the vert movement)

slip 15 (too high and it can affect the whole spectrum I think)

engine 60 (I do like to feel it in the wheel as per a motorbike and some cars I have driven, numb hands are a part of not "glamping" = camping with amenities)... if you do not put this up high you won't experience any engine feel to a decent degree and FYI at 60 its not overdone.

curb 40, shift 30, collision default at 200. Curbs should literally spaz you out - especially in the lower arms! lol ever tried going over a speed bump fast? No... it does not jump your arms, or any bumps fast - it unsettles your suspension potentially and rattles the underbody. So I like to accept simulation for that. But if you don't appreciate those things you can turn it down and it won't ruin your day.

On a tx wheel - my experience across all games, this and custom AMS2 - brilliant. I won't lie, I love it. And it goes across most cars, maybe the f90's you need to turn it up because those are a little too smooth, but apart from that, the weight and feel and detail and movement, etc as you would expect is there. And importantly it helps you drive rather than tries to impress you with jitters and whatnot, like in AMS2
Not much different than what I run on my TX.
Regarding 35steering rack.
Alex a sector3 dev has suggested using 0 steering rack as the setting is currently not functioning properly atm.
Some say it helps, some say it's currently better at zero?
I use to use it but atm using zero too.

Not much different than what I run on my TX.
Regarding 35steering rack.
Alex a sector3 dev has suggested using 0 steering rack as the setting is currently not functioning properly atm.
Some say it helps, some say it's currently better at zero?
I use to use it but atm using zero too.

ok sorry it did not benefit you/get something out of it mate. I think someone elsewhere also told me yes about the 0. I will be trying that next time I fire it up - so I am sure I had an improvement to an already decent set up but maybe I did the rack to that for some reason and never changed it back, because it was one setting that was lower.

oh well, you must have had it going pretty good anyway and the big one for me above what I had seemingly was the vertical adjustment.

But I am happy to be corrected there from someone as well regarding if they think a 55 on lateral is a better ratio overall for turn feel - but I am pretty happy with the FFB, its not over or under done. [in the game and the settings]

Last edited:
Small update with a bunch of fixes released today.

Changelog:
  • Missed from December patch notes: After an exploit had been found with pit lane speed limit tolerances (where players would be seen in the pit lane without the limiter on to gain a small advantage by going slightly above the limit), that tolerance was reduced. This has caused some reports of harsher pit speed penalties, which have felt unfair at times. While we look into improving on those cases, players can seek to adapt and adjust their techniques: be careful to enter the pitlane under the limit and make sure not to turn off the limiter too soon when leaving the pitlane. While driving down a slope, avoid giving your engine too much torque as it will be more likely to cause your car to speed above the limit. (using 1st gear with full throttle is more likely to make you bounce above the limit)
  • Fixed Hillclimb stages start phase that failed to hand over control to player
  • Fixed a case where certain replay files could fail to load
  • Fixed -triScr parameters that could conflict with a prototype for a new interface that is still in development.
  • Fixed dedicated server getting stuck in a session when the “Stay in Practice if empty” option was disabled.
  • Physics - BMW M4 GT4 - Increased suspension travel
  • Physics - Formula RaceRoom 3 - Lowered minimum diffuser operating height
  • Physics - Formula RaceRoom U.S. - Increased suspension travel
  • Physics - GT2 cars - BOP work to nerf the Audi a bit
  • Physics - GT3 cars - Tuned ABS & TC so all cars hold more similar slip ratios while TC & ABS are active. Fixed automatic gearbox that could be spotted failing to downshift under 4th gear.
  • Physics - Scirocco Gr2 - Fixed incorrect placement of the fuel cell
  • Cars - Audi R8 LMS GT3 Evo - Improved position of hood / bonnet / rear cameras
  • Cars - Audi R8 LMS GT4 - Improved visuals of the cockpit data display and LED’s
  • Tracks - Bathurst - Fixed an issue with a Pirtek sponsor
  • Tracks - Brands Hatch GP - Visual tweaks. Fixed an art material present on the exit of turn 8 that could trigger a lap invalidation.
  • Tracks - Portimao - Fixed HUD track maps that were no longer centered
  • Tracks - RaceRoom Hillclimb - Fixed HUD track maps that were no longer centered
  • Tracks - Sepang - Fixed some cut corridors
  • AI - Bathurst - Improved AI behaviour
  • AI - Falkenberg - Improved AI behaviour during race starts
  • AI - Mantorp - Improved AI behaviour
  • AI - Scandinavian Raceway (Anderstorp) - Improved AI behaviour

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline