RaceRoom Racing Experience | Massive Update, Loads Of New Content

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have released a mega new December update for the RaceRoom Racing Experience simulation - adding plenty of fixes, new physics, new cars and new tracks - it must be Christmas!
  • 5 new cars released.
  • 2 new tracks.
  • New tyre model and physics updates.
Big dose of happiness for fans of RaceRoom Racing Experience fans today as Sector3 Studios have released a massive new update in time for the holiday season, bringing several pieces of premium DLC content alongside a healthy dose of fixes, tweaks and physics developments.

50694337098_99f5510ead_k.jpg

In terms of content we've already shared links to the various announcements, but just to recap briefly the new releases as part of today's build are as follows:

• Audi R8 LMS GT4 (2020)
  • Audi R8 LMS GT3 EVO
  • Audi R8 LMS GT2
  • Volkswagen Scirocco Group 2 (1976)
  • Volkswagen ID. R
  • Brands Hatch Grand Prix layout
  • Watkins Glen International, with four layouts.
The update itself weighs in at a healthy 5.3gb in size and comes with a nice range of new features that arrive within the simulation for the first time. Chief amongst these are a brand-new tyre model that has been applied to a number of vehicles within the simulation, including several of the older cars loved by the community.

Also very cool for the latest build is the addition of engine and throttle maps for various cars, something that has been requested for a long time by the R3E community, and many improvements to the audio on a number of the cars.

You can check out the full update notes below:

Physics engine:
  • Physics engine - Added support for engine maps. Cars featuring these will have special settings in the car setup menu. Control bindings are also added to alter the map from inside the cockpit, which not all cars support.
  • Physics engine - Added support for modifying the amount of Engine Braking from the car setup.
  • Physics engine - Added support for throttle maps. Those are not tweakable in car setup but are specific to each car.
  • Physics engine - Revamp of the turbo simulation for better realism of spool / throttle management.
  • Physics engine - Added support for Energy recovery system, which is adjustable for electric & hybrid engines in the car setup menu as well as through a key bind from the cockpit.
    [Read More about those physics engine updates here]
  • Physics engine - Revamp of the aerodynamics simulation of the diffuser to better simulate diffuser stalls when too close to the ground.
    [Read More about the diffuser stalls here]
50722514706_1b3750dfaf_k.jpg

Tyre model updates:
The following cars are brought to v4.1:
[Read more here about the full details on tyre models in RaceRoom]
  • Audi Sport TT Cup
  • Audi TT RS VLN
  • CUPRA eRacer
  • DTM 1992
  • Formula RaceRoom 90
  • Formula RaceRoom Junior
  • Group 2 (new class)
  • Group 4
  • Group 5
  • GT2
  • GT3
  • GT4
  • GTE
  • Hillclimb Icons
  • Mercedes DTM 2003 and 2005
  • NSU TTS
  • Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (sprint & endurance specs)
  • Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964)
  • Silhouettes
  • Touring Classics
  • Volkswagen ID.R
  • WTCC 14-15-16-17
  • WTCR 18-19

Engine maps
The following cars are featuring engine maps:
  • Audi TT RS VLN
  • CUPRA eRacer
  • Formula RaceRoom 90
  • Formula RaceRoom U.S.
  • Formula RaceRoom X-17
  • Group 5
  • Group C
  • GT3 classes
  • GTE
  • GTR2 class
  • Nissan Skyline (Touring Classics) has 2 engine maps
  • P1
  • P2
  • Mercedes DTM 2003 and 2005
  • Volkswagen ID.R

Dedicated server:
  • Added “Skip Qualifying” option. If this is enabled, the server will fetch leaderboard laptimes of all connected players for the current track layout and the performance index of the car they’re driving. The starting grid of the race will be defined by those lap times.
  • Added “Prevent false start” option. If set to off, players will be able to jump the start of the race and receive a penalty for doing so.
  • Added support for race duration in laps.
  • Added an option for rolling or standing starts for each race session. A rolling start is right now still AI controlled, but we aim for human control rolling starts in 2021.

Changelog:
  • New replay menu
  • Spectator - New data is available through the API. All changes are listed on the github page.
  • New data in shared memory API for Traction Control level, Engine Map and Engine Braking settings.
  • Unification of cut detections between the reputation system and the cut corridors. Previously, an incident point for an off-track would not always result in the invalidation of the lap.
  • Added a key bind to override traction control and allow for that quick 180 recovery from a spin.
  • Pitstops - WTCR car classes are now using the same pitstop timers as the GT4 car class.
  • Physics - Tweaks to behaviour of gravel and grass.
  • Physics - WTCR car classes now make use of the Anti-Lag System that had been developed for DTM 2020.
  • Physics - Fixed tyre pressure that wasn’t being set properly on preheated tyres which affected leaderboards.
  • Physics - Launch control logic change where it will now disengage when upshifting from 1st gear.
  • Sounds - ALS sound effects added to WTCR cars
  • Sounds - New external sounds for the Alfa Romeo Giulietta TCR (18&19)
  • Sounds - New external sounds for the Radical SR9 AER
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the BMW M4 DTM 2020
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the Peugeot 308 TCR
  • Sounds - Improved cockpit and external sounds of the Porsche 962C
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport
  • Sounds - New cockpit sounds recording for the Audi RS 5 DTM 2020
  • Sounds - New cockpit sounds recording for the Chevrolet Dekon Monza
  • AI - Countless tweaks and improvements to AI behaviour and their racelines around tracks
  • Added support for 32:9 monitor ratios
  • Art - Bathurst updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Imola updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Portimao updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Oschersleben - Added a missing brake marker at turn 1 and a bump in the road that was missing after turn 3.
  • Added support for manual inlaps at the end of the race session. This option is currently accessible through Gameplay Settings, but we eventually plan to make it a server option just like driving assists so it can be forced on or off.

Original Source: Sector3 Studios.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, exclusively to PC.

Want to get the most from your installation? Start a thread and ask a question in the R3E Sub Forum right here at RaceDepartment!

50678779282_0bd9c3c444_k.jpg

Last edited:
decided to buy the whole lot yesterday was quite enjoying it ,but today the game tells me i only own half of it ,unless they are updating something again but 8 hrs is a fair wait

Interesting Noel, I purchased three Cars this morning (Australia time) and only one of them was available to drive after the vrp's were deducted. The other two very briefly bobbed up at one stage but then disappeared again. I raised a support ticket. After about 6 hours, I started RRE and to my surprise, the missing cars were available again. Not sure what was going on but I suspect they may have been fiddling with the server, or perhaps there is some random lag effect (why one of the three cars worked but not the others is a mystery).
I'm going to check again tomorrow before closing my support ticket.

Last edited:
This used to be my go to sim for casual racing, but when they did the FFB update a while ago I've never gotten the FFB close to liking it again, I tried again last night and had zero feel for oversteer and slides whereas previously it was one of the strengths (using Simucube2 pro)

This used to be my go to sim for casual racing, but when they did the FFB update a while ago I've never gotten the FFB close to liking it again, I tried again last night and had zero feel for oversteer and slides whereas previously it was one of the strengths (using Simucube2 pro)

I'm a big fan of this sim but haven't been able to run it since that issue cropped up with the steering shaking like hell on the straights. I installed this update but it still does it? I've tried near everything. Thrustmaster unit of course.
Have you tried USBDview, I have similar issues but by using this small free software you can uninstall any rogue devices that spring up (this is the cause of the TM issues), try it, costs sod all, takes seconds to use and may very well get you back on the RR wagon, worth it as the latest update is a banger!

Anyone feel that the cars with the updated v4.1 tire model have less grip and base tunes understeer and slide with little feeling during mid corners in the ffb?

I've made a new wheel profile and reset to default all setup tunes.

Any suggestions for tweaks in the ffb file?

Thrustmaster TX

The update also includes (as a sort of public beta I guess, since it's not enabled by default yet) another part of the new UI that was already present in car setup screens before. You have to start the game using the -webmenu launch parameter. And it even includes things like this (among many other changes and improvements):

i-2cnGGTg.png
Used this interface to set up my triples... Sooooooo much better than the stupid launch string of numbers and spaces!!!!!

Oh RaceRoom, my old old love... I have mentioned a couple of times on the forums I get terrible performance, but decreasing the amount of visible cars helps. I was/am secretly an API update is on its way for better utilization of modern hardware. I gave it another go after this update, performance is the same as it was, with around 18 visible cars the sim can be acceptably smooth. Tried the new cars in test drive, the modern ones are pretty good. However, that Scirocco... how can you make such ugly cockpits in 2020? Seriously, if it was a free AC mod I would not keep it solely because of the looks... I know I am hard to satisfy, but still, does it bother anybody else?

Anyway, many core updates, always welcome, I hope those of you currently active with R3E are happy with the updates and the new content. For me, however, it goes "back on the shelf" again. Wish them the best and will follow the updates in the future.

I have mentioned a couple of times on the forums I get terrible performance, but decreasing the amount of visible cars helps. I was/am secretly an API update is on its way for better utilization of modern hardware. I gave it another go after this update, performance is the same as it was, with around 18 visible cars the sim can be acceptably smooth. Tried the new cars in test drive, the modern ones are pretty good. However, that Scirocco... how can you make such ugly cockpits in 2020? Seriously, if it was a free AC mod I would not keep it solely because of the looks... I know I am hard to satisfy, but still, does it bother anybody else?
You have pretty much answered yourself why that is right there...

From a vr user perspective, the interiors are not the greatest compared to some of the other titles, what I do like is all the buttons, gauges and dash are crisp, clean and readable unlike ACC/PC2/AMS2.

What I really dislike, that's stands out like a sore thumb is poor quality detail of the driver's gloves and race suit.

Everything else looks great

Last edited:
From a vr user perspective, the interiors are not the greatest compared to some of the other titles, what I do like is all the buttons, gauges and dash are crisp, clean and readable unlike ACC/PC2/AMS2.

What I really dislike, that's stands out like a sore thumb is poor quality detail of the driver's gloves and race suit.

Could be worse, could look like the driver in Rfactor 2! It's almost PS2 levels!

Same exact experience for me. I was hoping these physics improvements would bring back some feel, but it doesn't sound like it.

Anyone feel that the cars with the updated v4.1 tire model have less grip and base tunes understeer and slide with little feeling during mid corners in the ffb?
Not really, no. The cars I've tried so far feel better to me, and I'm finding slides less snappy and easier to catch too.

No, I am looking for feedback if others think the level of detail present in that car released at the end of 2020 is sufficient.
Yep, looks perfectly fine to me. A bare-bones, stripped out cockpit as you'd expect from a 70's racing car. Not sure what more you expect?

Not really, no. The cars I've tried so far feel better to me, and I'm finding slides less snappy and easier to catch too.

Yep, looks perfectly fine to me. A bare-bones, stripped out cockpit as you'd expect from a 70's racing car. Not sure what more you expect?
Better textures and object detail? Not the art style... Another example, just look at the steering wheel of the Hyundai i30 TCR, the wheel doesn't even have enough polys to look round.

Another example, just look at the steering wheel of the Hyundai i30 TCR, the wheel doesn't even have enough polys to look round.
Again, looks fine to me. I guess I'm not fussy.

Anyway, really enjoying the patch so far. I tried a number of the v4.1 cars and they all felt better to drive to me. Had a blast in the DTM 92's and the new Scirocco around Brands GP. The latter should be great for close racing, if the race I had with the AI was anything to go by. Really good fun, well done S3! :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%