RaceRoom Racing Experience | Massive Update, Loads Of New Content

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have released a mega new December update for the RaceRoom Racing Experience simulation - adding plenty of fixes, new physics, new cars and new tracks - it must be Christmas!
  • 5 new cars released.
  • 2 new tracks.
  • New tyre model and physics updates.
Big dose of happiness for fans of RaceRoom Racing Experience fans today as Sector3 Studios have released a massive new update in time for the holiday season, bringing several pieces of premium DLC content alongside a healthy dose of fixes, tweaks and physics developments.

50694337098_99f5510ead_k.jpg

In terms of content we've already shared links to the various announcements, but just to recap briefly the new releases as part of today's build are as follows:

• Audi R8 LMS GT4 (2020)
  • Audi R8 LMS GT3 EVO
  • Audi R8 LMS GT2
  • Volkswagen Scirocco Group 2 (1976)
  • Volkswagen ID. R
  • Brands Hatch Grand Prix layout
  • Watkins Glen International, with four layouts.
The update itself weighs in at a healthy 5.3gb in size and comes with a nice range of new features that arrive within the simulation for the first time. Chief amongst these are a brand-new tyre model that has been applied to a number of vehicles within the simulation, including several of the older cars loved by the community.

Also very cool for the latest build is the addition of engine and throttle maps for various cars, something that has been requested for a long time by the R3E community, and many improvements to the audio on a number of the cars.

You can check out the full update notes below:

Physics engine:
  • Physics engine - Added support for engine maps. Cars featuring these will have special settings in the car setup menu. Control bindings are also added to alter the map from inside the cockpit, which not all cars support.
  • Physics engine - Added support for modifying the amount of Engine Braking from the car setup.
  • Physics engine - Added support for throttle maps. Those are not tweakable in car setup but are specific to each car.
  • Physics engine - Revamp of the turbo simulation for better realism of spool / throttle management.
  • Physics engine - Added support for Energy recovery system, which is adjustable for electric & hybrid engines in the car setup menu as well as through a key bind from the cockpit.
    [Read More about those physics engine updates here]
  • Physics engine - Revamp of the aerodynamics simulation of the diffuser to better simulate diffuser stalls when too close to the ground.
    [Read More about the diffuser stalls here]
50722514706_1b3750dfaf_k.jpg

Tyre model updates:
The following cars are brought to v4.1:
[Read more here about the full details on tyre models in RaceRoom]
  • Audi Sport TT Cup
  • Audi TT RS VLN
  • CUPRA eRacer
  • DTM 1992
  • Formula RaceRoom 90
  • Formula RaceRoom Junior
  • Group 2 (new class)
  • Group 4
  • Group 5
  • GT2
  • GT3
  • GT4
  • GTE
  • Hillclimb Icons
  • Mercedes DTM 2003 and 2005
  • NSU TTS
  • Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (sprint & endurance specs)
  • Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964)
  • Silhouettes
  • Touring Classics
  • Volkswagen ID.R
  • WTCC 14-15-16-17
  • WTCR 18-19

Engine maps
The following cars are featuring engine maps:
  • Audi TT RS VLN
  • CUPRA eRacer
  • Formula RaceRoom 90
  • Formula RaceRoom U.S.
  • Formula RaceRoom X-17
  • Group 5
  • Group C
  • GT3 classes
  • GTE
  • GTR2 class
  • Nissan Skyline (Touring Classics) has 2 engine maps
  • P1
  • P2
  • Mercedes DTM 2003 and 2005
  • Volkswagen ID.R

Dedicated server:
  • Added “Skip Qualifying” option. If this is enabled, the server will fetch leaderboard laptimes of all connected players for the current track layout and the performance index of the car they’re driving. The starting grid of the race will be defined by those lap times.
  • Added “Prevent false start” option. If set to off, players will be able to jump the start of the race and receive a penalty for doing so.
  • Added support for race duration in laps.
  • Added an option for rolling or standing starts for each race session. A rolling start is right now still AI controlled, but we aim for human control rolling starts in 2021.

Changelog:
  • New replay menu
  • Spectator - New data is available through the API. All changes are listed on the github page.
  • New data in shared memory API for Traction Control level, Engine Map and Engine Braking settings.
  • Unification of cut detections between the reputation system and the cut corridors. Previously, an incident point for an off-track would not always result in the invalidation of the lap.
  • Added a key bind to override traction control and allow for that quick 180 recovery from a spin.
  • Pitstops - WTCR car classes are now using the same pitstop timers as the GT4 car class.
  • Physics - Tweaks to behaviour of gravel and grass.
  • Physics - WTCR car classes now make use of the Anti-Lag System that had been developed for DTM 2020.
  • Physics - Fixed tyre pressure that wasn’t being set properly on preheated tyres which affected leaderboards.
  • Physics - Launch control logic change where it will now disengage when upshifting from 1st gear.
  • Sounds - ALS sound effects added to WTCR cars
  • Sounds - New external sounds for the Alfa Romeo Giulietta TCR (18&19)
  • Sounds - New external sounds for the Radical SR9 AER
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the BMW M4 DTM 2020
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the Peugeot 308 TCR
  • Sounds - Improved cockpit and external sounds of the Porsche 962C
  • Sounds - Improved external sounds of the Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport
  • Sounds - New cockpit sounds recording for the Audi RS 5 DTM 2020
  • Sounds - New cockpit sounds recording for the Chevrolet Dekon Monza
  • AI - Countless tweaks and improvements to AI behaviour and their racelines around tracks
  • Added support for 32:9 monitor ratios
  • Art - Bathurst updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Imola updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Portimao updated to 2020 specs
  • Art - Oschersleben - Added a missing brake marker at turn 1 and a bump in the road that was missing after turn 3.
  • Added support for manual inlaps at the end of the race session. This option is currently accessible through Gameplay Settings, but we eventually plan to make it a server option just like driving assists so it can be forced on or off.

Original Source: Sector3 Studios.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, exclusively to PC.

Want to get the most from your installation? Start a thread and ask a question in the R3E Sub Forum right here at RaceDepartment!

50678779282_0bd9c3c444_k.jpg

Last edited:
The highlight, for me, is Watkins Glen. It's a great track no matter what car you drive. Brands Hatch is also great, of course.

I still feel like R3E is starting to show its age in certain aspects: the lack of weather effects and no real day/night transition. Also, there are still a few things that could be improved easily like a custom point system for custom championships. It's still a great game, but no longer my #1 choice.

What really sets it apart from other sims is the track selection, which is absolutely superb.

Very happy with this update, lots of new stuff but lots of improvements to the existing stuff too...not just a livery pack and BOP refresh! That said, there's still a few kinks which need working out such as the new menu still being a little rough around the edges and the servers being a bit spotty.

What RaceRoom needs more than anything moving forwards though is a larger player base to fill up the ranked servers. iRacing has such a massive headstart on the online competition system side of things, but the way RaceRoom is headed is really exciting but...the servers are relatively empty at peak times, especially outside of Europe. There are no splits and the field spread can be quite large at times so the races often get quite strung out over time or become an exercise in incident avoidance.

New UI helps with the triple tilt issue as you can fudge the numbers in game now. Not correct to my setup but passable while S3 get the stuff worked out.
-webmenu
Lots of crash to desktop though.

Last edited:
Always had great fun and more than enough people to race when I played on the ranked servers. Will follow up this over the vacation when they are back.

I spent 4 hrs with the update yesterday + 35€ for new content and some liveries, I left out so far. I'm really happy about the progress of R3E. Physics changes are again a step forward and let R3E catch up to the best sims, mapping options enable more tactics during the race and make it more exciting. Really impressive. Group C cars are just brutal, now they show their true soul. BHGP and the Glen are awesome, fantastic job. New cars are second to none.

R3E turns out to become my fav sim. The diversity of tracks and cars combined with these great gaming modes, the best ai on the market and the philosophy to release content only after a high quality standard is reached proves the real passion of this team and how much they are focused on customers requirements. Way to Go, Sector 3!
Together with ACC, my sim of the year!

Briefly tested two random cars (coming back to this sim since several months of inactivity) and, in general, physics seems quite nice.

The only problem I noticed is the inability to recover the car oversteer after a threshold. It feels fun and controllable also drifting a bit but it becomes uncontrollable all of a sudden.

I bit more progressiveness in the high sideslip region would be really appreciated and needed IMHO, at least for the cars I tested: DTM1992 and NSU.

On the NSU the issue is very pronounced and quite unexpected.

I'll try the other cars for understanding see if it's a general characteristic or it's limited to some cases.

The FFB on my G27 is quite bad... can you suggest some good settings for it (too many parameters for my taste)?

Can confirm the understeer, especially on corner exit. Tried the Formula Raceroom 90 and you wouldn't expect such behaviour on this car.

Other than that great update. Love Watkins.

The only problem I noticed is the inability to recover the car oversteer after a threshold. It feels fun and controllable also drifting a bit but it becomes uncontrollable all of a sudden.

I bit more progressiveness in the high sideslip region would be really appreciated and needed IMHO, at least for the cars I tested: DTM1992 and NSU.

On the NSU the issue is very pronounced and quite unexpected.
The new physics actually have an improved version right now, i assume, you would've been outraged by some cars, pre-update, in their slip-grip-fall-off :D

A bit of throttle, or a higher "Engine brake reduction" value (it's idle adjustment basically) often cures the slip-bin now. I was racing the 190E DTM recently and it's actually working well with a bit less diff lock at the power percentage.^^

The newer tyres and/or physics are a bit edgy still, but not at all in comparison, to what it was like, pre-update.

(I actually liked it before already, but it was definetly very edgy, especially some GT3 cars were unbelieveably prone to unrecoveralble spins with the wrong approach and early downshifts)

It's also very sensitive to tyre temperatures for some cars. (The Group 5 can be still "interesting" with colder tyres, for example...it makes sense, though.)

The FFB on my G27 is quite bad... can you suggest some good settings for it (too many parameters for my taste)?
Phew, i hope, i remember my G27 settings from back then at least a bit, but just try these ranges as a baseline for a test (no gospel, FFB settings in R3E are a life-task):

Force Feedback Intensity: 100% (yes 100...it's normal, what you might expect here, is actually adjusted with the "Steering Force Intensity" Value, it ensures, you use all avaiable force, provided by your wheel...such a confusing happy menu it is :D)
Smoothing: 0% (only if the FFB jolts too much for the poor little gears)
Force Feedback Spring: 0% (nono)
Force Feedback Damper: 0-10% (Preference, i don't think, the G27 really need it, it will probably not even start to oscillate)

Steering Force Intensity: 70-75% (basically the multiplicator for the overall steering force mix and affects all settings below.)
Force Feedback Minimum Force: 10-15% to start with (some logitech-Wheels need more, some less, they are like guitars, every model is a bit different :D)
Understeer: 25%
Vertical Load: 55%
Lateral Force: 50%
Steering Rack: 0% (this value is recommended to be left off now)

"Canned", but not useless effect additions:
Slip Effect: 10% (it gives a bit of "life" to the steering, it's a matter of taste, how much)
Engine Vibrations: 0%
Kerb Vibrations: 0-20% (you don't need it, especially for newer track releases, but why not...matter of taste)
Shift Effect: 0% (vertical load also often gives you shift feel, so not really necessary)
Collision Effect: 0% (the notorious ISImotor-JOLT. Highly recommended to leave it off, can even jolt your wheel over higher kerbs)

Last edited:
BTW, has anyone found the default set up now to be very understeery on most of the cars and all of the new content? Or is it me?
Can confirm the understeer, especially on corner exit. Tried the Formula Raceroom 90 and you wouldn't expect such behaviour on this car.
It's setup. You can make the cars way more pointy and prone to turn, if you want. (Tested the FR90 right now and there is plenty of room for it)

The defaults seem generally more on the more tame side now, as long, as you don't have a nervous throttle-foot.

Last edited:
Who needs throttle maps! I'm just a jump in and drive guy! (probably why I can't get near the top times LOL)

Driving-wise it doesn't feel massively different just maybe a bit grippier? My go to testing car is always the Deutschland 2019 911 as the lack of TC and ABS makes it something modern but yet something you can't disrespect. Sometimes it's hard to judge with stuff too easy or too hard to drive.

Who needs throttle maps!
Cars. :p
I think, what you mean, are the engine maps. (Try a group C car with engine mode 5 and tell me, you don't need this!!! :D)
Throttle map/torque map is the thing, that you can now generally experience on your right foot for each car individually.
Driving-wise it doesn't feel massively different just maybe a bit grippier?
Kind of... actually it isn't really grippier IMO (some cars are even harder to push on the same laptimes as before), but the edge of grip falls off more gradually in many cases now. (You will not spin a Porsche GT3-R at Bathurst as fast as before, for example)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing