RaceRoom Racing Experience | DTM 2020 Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have released a new RaceRoom Racing Experience update - including the 2020 specification DTM car pack for the simulation.
  • DTM 2020 released - BMW and AUDI.
  • Push to Pass functionality now included.
  • Many varied updates and improvements.

A new RaceRoom update is here folks - and frankly it comes with a nice collection of fixes and improvements to the title, plus the very newest version of the sadly declining but still incredibly awesome DTM championship.

Of the update highlights, the addition of Push 2 Pass specific to the DTM regulations this year, some further tweaks and improvements to various tracks within the title and the addition of anti-lag simulation, although this is currently only available in the new DTM cars.

Update Notes:

• DTM 2020 uses a specific Push to Pass regulation:
    One activation per lap for a maximum of 24 race laps.
    Push to Pass is not available in the first lap.
    Push to Pass is not available to the race leader. (A race leader is determined at the crossing of each track sector and not only at the start/finish line)
    Push to Pass is available regardless of the gap to the car in front of you.
  • DTM 2020 uses a specific DRS regulation: 3 activations per lap for a maximum number of activations set to half the expected amount of race laps (rounded up). (i.e.: a 18 laps race will give you a maximum of 9 activations, and since you can activate it 3 times per lap, you can run out of DRS within only 3 laps).
    DRS is not available in the first lap.
    DRS is not available to the race leader. (A race leader is determined at the crossing of each track sector and not only at the start/finish line)
    DRS is available regardless of the gap to the car in front of you.
  • DTM 2020 Physics evolution after driver feedback.
  • DTM 2020 drivers now have real helmets designs and racing suits.
  • Physics engine - Added simulation of Anti-Lag System, used in DTM 2020 for now. This comes with specific sound samples triggered under coasting. The system will propagate to relevant cars in future updates.
  • Launch Control logic modification - Launch Control will no longer automatically upshift for the player.
  • Options menu - Added a toggle for TV Camera tracking lag.
  • Shared Memory - Added Pit Stop Minimum Duration and Pit Stop Minimum Duration Time left
  • Shared Memory - Added the Incident Point limit before DQ.
  • Shared Memory - Removed information from opponents current incident points as it could lead to behavioral change near players close to limit
  • Shared Memory - Player’s Incident points suffers from a known issue where it’s not updating properly. It will be fixed soon™
  • Sounds - Reduce volume of sound effects from underbody scraping the tarmac, improved their variety.
  • Fixed DRS regulation that affected other cars equipped with the system and limited the amount of activations since the last update.
  • Formula RaceRoom 90 - Added some backfires that were missing
  • Brands Hatch - Updated the track to its 2020 state.
  • Circuit Zandvoort - Moved the time attack spawn location further back to better allow reaching of maximum speed.
  • Dubai GP & Club - Some track limit adjustments to make it more strict. (Cleared leaderboard laptimes for those)
  • Motorland Aragón - AI improvements
  • Red Bull Ring - Updated the track to its 2020 state
  • Suzuka - Updated the track to its 2020 state

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest community news and discussions - it's a great place to get your burning questions answered - so post away now!

r3e footer.jpg

Last edited:
it feels an awful lot like a really polished GT Legends or GTR2 with great content that you can play in VR.
To an extent...I guess?
until you realize all the track tech, day to night transition, weather and race features that GTR2 offers that Raceroom doesn't.

Regarding the DTM cars...looking forward to picking up the Audi once the mirrors are fixed if that is indeed an issue and running a single player season.

On driveability, not sure why it was brought up at all. Should have tried them first before reading the comments. :redface:
Exactly what i did...tried them after "true" release on test drive at RaceRoom Raceway before buying.

My attitude was like: "meh...another modern aero car, i'm not even that much into driving DTM, but it was okay fun i guess. Whatever, this will probably bore me big time, i will probably give it a pass this ti.......W-WHAT the actual f...this is awesome". :D

• Deleted member 197115

The AC DRM Revival cars are fairly easy to drive, compared to the R3E Gr.5 in the first 2-3 laps, tbh...after the 3 warmup laps (provided, that tyres are properly warmed up in R3E), they are comparable, though.
Hmm, had no issues with R3E Gr.5 at all, not even remotely challenging or interesting after DRM.
But DRM Revival individual cars driveability is all over the board, some are nice and easy, some are literally ice skating for the first lap or two, with DTM 2020 you just need not to mash the throttle when car is unbalanced, that's all.
I've tried Porsche 935 K2 3.0 DRM 77 from Revival pack today after DTM 2020, just to see how they compare. Hats off to whoever was brave enough to drive that skiddy beast IRL.

• Deleted member 197115

When have you last tested them? They received a (big) physics update not thaaat long ago (almost 4 months or so)...
Sounds pretty much as if you have tested them before that :O_o:
Right after their physics update, specifically wanted to see how it compares to AC.
But I have to admit that R3E is not something I invest a lot of time in, mostly just kicking tires from time to time as FFB feels a bit lethargic and not as intuitive as in Kunos titles to me, so it's possible I have missed something.
Will give it another try today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right after their physics update, specifically wanted to see how it compares to AC.
But I have to admit that R3E is not something I invest a lot of time in, mostly just kicking tires from time to time as FFB feels a bit lethargic and not as intuitive as in Kunos titles to me, so it's possible I have missed something.
Will give it another try today.
Try comparing something like Zakspeed Capri and Silvia Turbo and you should notice quite some difference...

Small update and hotfix
Changelist:
  • DTM 2020 - Modified DRS activation limits regulation, following this formula:
    ([Expected amount of laps] / 2 ) x 3
    If the driver chooses to use DRS in a lap but does not use all 3 activations, the remaining activations will go to waste and be withdrawn from the total.

The data display will show:
    [DRS available this lap] / [Maximum activations for the race]

Here is an example scenario for a 60 laps race:
    --- Lap 2 ---
    3 / 90 // Activates DRS
    2 / 89
    ---- Lap 3 ---
    3 / 87 // Activates DRS
    2 / 86 // Activates DRS
    1 / 85
    --- Lap 4 ---
    3 / 84
    --- Lap 5 ---
    3 / 84 // Activates DRS
    2 / 83 // Activates DRS
    1 / 82 // Activates DRS
    0 / 81
    --- Lap 6 ---
    3 / 81
    etc.
  • AI - In DTM 2020, if the AI chooses to use DRS once in a lap, it will try and use all 3 activations in the same lap.
  • Audi RS 5 DTM 2020 - Fixed flipped image in side mirror.
  • Modified some in-game advertising banners and liveries in preparation for upcoming events.
  • Suzuka - Fixed a TV camera located above the bridge that was not properly triggering

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Try comparing something like Zakspeed Capri and Silvia Turbo and you should notice quite some difference...
Did lots of back and forth with Zakspeed Capri between AC and R3E.
R3E is quite impressive but still less challenging and interesting to drive than DRM Revival counterpart, esp. before tires and brakes fully warm up.
R3E feels more like domesticated version, may it's more historically accurate, can't say anything on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am DTM Fan and bought the BMW (nice sound!) and love the way it drives. No problem with oversteer coming out of corners if you gently push the gas pedal. Has a very good road feel and possibility to drive on the limit. Is it like real life? No idea, but I trust R3E has done everything to get there and I am happy they did. Please don't make it "easier"

Still driving on a sheet of ice, No bumps in road that I feel......not impressed. The suspension is not getting a workout like I feel In RF2 at Sonoma with the 911 R

Yeah I feel this (or rather don't feel it). Whilst the FF may be communicative when turning, it's certainly not immersive. There is a real lack of road feel, whether than is a problem in the FF or in the track models I don't know but I too find it very off putting.

Yeah I feel this (or rather don't feel it). Whilst the FF may be communicative when turning, it's certainly not immersive. There is a real lack of road feel, whether than is a problem in the FF or in the track models I don't know but I too find it very off putting.

It's horses for courses. Sometimes I like the road feel of ACC or AC, sometimes I like the pure and responsive feel of R3E. They're different flavours and I enjoy both depending on my mood.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.7%