RaceRoom Racing Experience | DTM 2020 Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have released a new RaceRoom Racing Experience update - including the 2020 specification DTM car pack for the simulation.
  • DTM 2020 released - BMW and AUDI.
  • Push to Pass functionality now included.
  • Many varied updates and improvements.

A new RaceRoom update is here folks - and frankly it comes with a nice collection of fixes and improvements to the title, plus the very newest version of the sadly declining but still incredibly awesome DTM championship.

Of the update highlights, the addition of Push 2 Pass specific to the DTM regulations this year, some further tweaks and improvements to various tracks within the title and the addition of anti-lag simulation, although this is currently only available in the new DTM cars.

Update Notes:

• DTM 2020 uses a specific Push to Pass regulation:
    One activation per lap for a maximum of 24 race laps.
    Push to Pass is not available in the first lap.
    Push to Pass is not available to the race leader. (A race leader is determined at the crossing of each track sector and not only at the start/finish line)
    Push to Pass is available regardless of the gap to the car in front of you.
  • DTM 2020 uses a specific DRS regulation: 3 activations per lap for a maximum number of activations set to half the expected amount of race laps (rounded up). (i.e.: a 18 laps race will give you a maximum of 9 activations, and since you can activate it 3 times per lap, you can run out of DRS within only 3 laps).
    DRS is not available in the first lap.
    DRS is not available to the race leader. (A race leader is determined at the crossing of each track sector and not only at the start/finish line)
    DRS is available regardless of the gap to the car in front of you.
  • DTM 2020 Physics evolution after driver feedback.
  • DTM 2020 drivers now have real helmets designs and racing suits.
  • Physics engine - Added simulation of Anti-Lag System, used in DTM 2020 for now. This comes with specific sound samples triggered under coasting. The system will propagate to relevant cars in future updates.
  • Launch Control logic modification - Launch Control will no longer automatically upshift for the player.
  • Options menu - Added a toggle for TV Camera tracking lag.
  • Shared Memory - Added Pit Stop Minimum Duration and Pit Stop Minimum Duration Time left
  • Shared Memory - Added the Incident Point limit before DQ.
  • Shared Memory - Removed information from opponents current incident points as it could lead to behavioral change near players close to limit
  • Shared Memory - Player’s Incident points suffers from a known issue where it’s not updating properly. It will be fixed soon™
  • Sounds - Reduce volume of sound effects from underbody scraping the tarmac, improved their variety.
  • Fixed DRS regulation that affected other cars equipped with the system and limited the amount of activations since the last update.
  • Formula RaceRoom 90 - Added some backfires that were missing
  • Brands Hatch - Updated the track to its 2020 state.
  • Circuit Zandvoort - Moved the time attack spawn location further back to better allow reaching of maximum speed.
  • Dubai GP & Club - Some track limit adjustments to make it more strict. (Cleared leaderboard laptimes for those)
  • Motorland Aragón - AI improvements
  • Red Bull Ring - Updated the track to its 2020 state
  • Suzuka - Updated the track to its 2020 state

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest community news and discussions - it's a great place to get your burning questions answered - so post away now!

r3e footer.jpg

Last edited:
I find those cars insanely hard to drive, even compared to some of the hardest car in the game. The snap grip loss is weird as it felt like the car literally loses grip when you look at it wrongly.
OMG what a spinfest there is no way these cars are that much of a handfull in RL no way, help!
I do lol it’s like I dont want to break an egg when on the throttle, wish I could adjust the lower gears oh well
Definetly warm up your tyres before pushing harder! Actively!! (But drive it hard...really push it, but not "hotlappy" right at the start)
R3E is edgy to start with on the new physics, but these types of cars may support this even further. (And maybe something on the throttle curve is strange, who knows)

You need warm tyres to push and you must kind off yeet it into the corners. The amount of downforce is plain crazy, you have to deal with, there.

I find them less edgy than the Gr.5 or GT3 cars, btw...^^'

Last edited:
Squeeze that throttle....you can't just mash it or even run it at 100% unless you are in a straight line. Tricky but a fun challenge. 600HP turbo! They really do haul. I suck, but its fun trying.....

Also he can adjust the curves of the throttle too. If he has a system that allows for this. You cant race every single car with TC at 0. I know that is a popular game exploit but it's not going to work here.

That doesn't read like overwhelmingly positive feedback.
To be honest...this is one of the few silhoutte high downforce car classes, i actually enjoy.
As soon, as the tyres start to work, you can't even find the limit right from the getgo. I drove a 10 lap stint right now and i feel...alarmingly "satisfyed" :D

My feedback is highly positive...you drive these, as if you have to pee very urgently and bring it home as quick as possible, you have to drive them HARD, to keep them working properly, aero and tyre wise...really hard. I like it way too much right now.

Perhaps the default setup is a little wonky? Wouldn't be the first time. I remember the X17 (or whatever the F1 clone is called) used to be quite a handful, but got a lot more compliant after S3 tweaked the default setup.

The cars are a hand full to keep under control. At least that is the way it is for me. As long as I remember to be gradual with braking and acceleration, I keep the car pointed in the right direction.

As for tracks, I run them on anything German for now.

I'm loving the wheel buttons for FFB adjustment. So much better than stopping and going to the car setup. Too bad I now have to rearrange my wheel buttons.

The cars are a handful, as long as you are not in the effective operation range. (slow corners without much downforce, cold tyres, nervous braking, slow corner entry, overdoing it on throttle, etc.)

Here it actually makes a lot of sense.(no clue if "overdone") Drive them hard and come off the brakes slowly. (Really it becomes way more stable then)

Last edited:
Definetly warm up your tyres before pushing harder! Actively!! (But drive it hard...really push it, but not "hotlappy" right at the start)
R3E is edgy to start with on the new physics, but these types of cars may support this even further. (And maybe something on the throttle curve is strange, who knows)

You need warm tyres to push and you must kind off yeet it into the corners. The amount of downforce is plain crazy, you have to deal with, there.

I find them less edgy than the Gr.5 or GT3 cars, btw...^^'

I know that R3E physics tend to be a bit more snappy when the tires are cold. However, I find that it is difficult to even limp my way to build up the tire heat due to the insane amount of torque of these cars.

I can't even finish a clean lap in the competition and still difficult to get through a clean lap in a race.

The throttle response is really odd with this car. The torque seemed like it literally jumps straight up from zero, even with gentle throttle feathering. There is no torque curve, it is more like a torque jump that even IDR doesn't do that.

I know that R3E physics tend to be a bit more snappy when the tires are cold. However, I find that it is difficult to even limp my way to build up the tire heat due to the insane amount of torque of these cars.

I can't even finish a clean lap in the competition and still difficult to get through a clean lap in a race.

The throttle response is really odd with this car. The torque seemed like it literally jumps straight up from zero, even with gentle throttle feathering. There is no torque curve, it is more like a torque jump that even IDR doesn't do that.
No clue if it's overdone somewhere...

But, like already stated by someone, you have to squeeze the throttle, don't hammer it. It has no TC and 580 HP and 560 Nm. This will jump a lot with these small turbo 4bangers (should even feature anti-lag if i'm not mistaken)....These are handgrenades of an engine.

Also the tyres seem to be a little diva outside of working range...

As soon as you have some temps and reach a good level of corner entry speed, you will be able to act a bit more careless with it.

I have done 2 race weekends with BMW and Audi now and all cases, where i spun where my own fault (mostly underdriving and overdoing it on the pedals).

These cars seem to punish underdriving a lot more, than overdriving.

Last edited:
Yeah right, because some super trained, well experienced SIM RACERS(!!!) find the behaviour strange, it has to be unrealistic. So why asking REAL DTM Drivers for feedback, when you got sim racers ...;)

And i know, some of these sim racers actually drive with real cars on race tracks as well. But i bet no one has ever driven a DTM Car.

If you follow this series for many years, you will have seen a lot of big names from other series, like F1, racing in the DTM and they all failed to become a serious competitor in the DTM.

Last edited:
Yeah right, because some super trained, well experienced SIM RACERS(!!!) find the behaviour strange, it has to be unrealistic. So why asking REAL DTM Drivers for feedback, when you got sim racers ...;)

And i know, some of these sim racers actually drive with real cars on race tracks as well. But i bet no one has ever driven a DTM Car.

If you follow this series for many years, you will have seen a lot of big names from other series, like F1, racing in the DTM and they all failed to become a serious competitor in the DTM.
Yes quite a different beast to drive, but I will keep trying

Yeah right, because some super trained, well experienced SIM RACERS(!!!) find the behaviour strange, it has to be unrealistic.
So why asking REAL DTM Drivers for feedback, when you got sim racers ...;)
"I can't drive it, the physics must be flawed" etc etc
I agree, that the DTM 2020 cars are completely believeable and check many boxes for their technical specifications, translated to actual driving behaviour...but:
After all, this is pointless and contraproductive, what you are writing here, guys. You will definetly not bring someone closer to the understanding of why such cars behave differently, by mocking other peoples perceptions and habits.

You could've tried to explain, why the throttle map and torque delivery, like also the narrow operation window of the tyres, high range of aero and necessarily usage of it is so important. Instead, we got this on the top. Well...

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 71 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 74 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 47 6.2%
  • < 5 years