RaceRoom Racing Experience | DTM 2020 Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have released a new RaceRoom Racing Experience update - including the 2020 specification DTM car pack for the simulation.
  • DTM 2020 released - BMW and AUDI.
  • Push to Pass functionality now included.
  • Many varied updates and improvements.

A new RaceRoom update is here folks - and frankly it comes with a nice collection of fixes and improvements to the title, plus the very newest version of the sadly declining but still incredibly awesome DTM championship.

Of the update highlights, the addition of Push 2 Pass specific to the DTM regulations this year, some further tweaks and improvements to various tracks within the title and the addition of anti-lag simulation, although this is currently only available in the new DTM cars.

Update Notes:

• DTM 2020 uses a specific Push to Pass regulation:
    One activation per lap for a maximum of 24 race laps.
    Push to Pass is not available in the first lap.
    Push to Pass is not available to the race leader. (A race leader is determined at the crossing of each track sector and not only at the start/finish line)
    Push to Pass is available regardless of the gap to the car in front of you.
  • DTM 2020 uses a specific DRS regulation: 3 activations per lap for a maximum number of activations set to half the expected amount of race laps (rounded up). (i.e.: a 18 laps race will give you a maximum of 9 activations, and since you can activate it 3 times per lap, you can run out of DRS within only 3 laps).
    DRS is not available in the first lap.
    DRS is not available to the race leader. (A race leader is determined at the crossing of each track sector and not only at the start/finish line)
    DRS is available regardless of the gap to the car in front of you.
  • DTM 2020 Physics evolution after driver feedback.
  • DTM 2020 drivers now have real helmets designs and racing suits.
  • Physics engine - Added simulation of Anti-Lag System, used in DTM 2020 for now. This comes with specific sound samples triggered under coasting. The system will propagate to relevant cars in future updates.
  • Launch Control logic modification - Launch Control will no longer automatically upshift for the player.
  • Options menu - Added a toggle for TV Camera tracking lag.
  • Shared Memory - Added Pit Stop Minimum Duration and Pit Stop Minimum Duration Time left
  • Shared Memory - Added the Incident Point limit before DQ.
  • Shared Memory - Removed information from opponents current incident points as it could lead to behavioral change near players close to limit
  • Shared Memory - Player’s Incident points suffers from a known issue where it’s not updating properly. It will be fixed soon™
  • Sounds - Reduce volume of sound effects from underbody scraping the tarmac, improved their variety.
  • Fixed DRS regulation that affected other cars equipped with the system and limited the amount of activations since the last update.
  • Formula RaceRoom 90 - Added some backfires that were missing
  • Brands Hatch - Updated the track to its 2020 state.
  • Circuit Zandvoort - Moved the time attack spawn location further back to better allow reaching of maximum speed.
  • Dubai GP & Club - Some track limit adjustments to make it more strict. (Cleared leaderboard laptimes for those)
  • Motorland Aragón - AI improvements
  • Red Bull Ring - Updated the track to its 2020 state
  • Suzuka - Updated the track to its 2020 state

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, exclusively on PC.

Check the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest community news and discussions - it's a great place to get your burning questions answered - so post away now!

r3e footer.jpg

Last edited:
You could've tried to explain, why the throttle map and torque delivery, like also the narrow operation window of the tyres, high range of aero and necessarily usage of it is so important. Instead, we got this on the top. Well...

Based on my interpretation what i read about the "complain" posts maybe i got the feeling, that these guys are so far in (sim) racing, that they already know what is important and how to deal with different type of racecars.

Sorry, my bad

Given that R3E is a simulator, I want it to provide a realistic experience... or as close to one as it's features and technology allows. That being the case, I think I'll trust the feedback of real DTM 2020 drivers about the car's characteristics, rather than the opinions of sim-racers who have never driven such a car in real-life, or anything close to it.

That's not a slight against sim-racers or their opinions. I just don't see the point in "complaining" about a simulated car which has been designed in close cooperation with those who actually drive it for real.

R3E AI is certainly as good as any other.
You made me smile when you mention "perfect" AI, as it would take Artificial Inteligence to make them "perfect" because humans will never agree on what the "perfect" AI should look like.:roflmao:
As for having AI behaving like humans, hopefully those humans are not the usual humans racing online or the one racing F1 at Mugello.:roflmao::roflmao:
Anyone watched last weekends F1 race? If Ai would behave like that we would al complain the hell out of the dev's. :D

Very positive feedback on the 2020 DTM here.

They are harder to drive and the operating window is smaller, but when you do manage to find that window, it feels really great.

I gave it a 2nd try this morning on a track that i'm more familiar at (Sachsenring) and it's a pretty cool experience.

The first lap on cold tires and cold brakes you have to be careful, but as soon as they come up to temperature, there's so much grip available. The margin of steering angle you can use and still can get away with activating DRS has been reduced to almost zero.

Compared to the older DTM versions, this cars looks to more compact from the inside and feels more like you are actually sitting in the car when driving in VR.

Love the P2P, but this also means you to have to push 2 buttons at once when coming out the corner.

I agree, that the DTM 2020 cars are completely believeable and check many boxes for their technical specifications, translated to actual driving behaviour...but:
After all, this is pointless and contraproductive, what you are writing here, guys. You will definetly not bring someone closer to the understanding of why such cars behave differently, by mocking other peoples perceptions and habits.

You could've tried to explain, why the throttle map and torque delivery, like also the narrow operation window of the tyres, high range of aero and necessarily usage of it is so important. Instead, we got this on the top. Well...

I was being facetious..... ;)

Are the 2020 cars that much different to the 2016 versions in Raceroom?
Thinking about getting the pack after all this praise but without the Merc I’m hesitating a bit. DTM always was Merc vs BMW vs Audi for me.

Are the 2020 cars that much different to the 2016 versions in Raceroom?
Thinking about getting the pack after all this praise but without the Merc I’m hesitating a bit. DTM always was Merc vs BMW vs Audi for me.
They definitely feel different, but you can simply test drive them in the store.

Reactions: F_B
Problem is I/We are so used to driving so many different cars that sometimes we forget that some require more TLC than others. We are definately spoiled in the amount of amazing sims at the moment. Personally I am so used to TC/ABS that I probably set myself up to fail when running these DTM 20's knowing that it was going to happen. Props to the RL drivers for handling these beasts. I have been sim racing for forever and appreciate the feedback, we are always learning and nobody is perfect....

• Deleted member 197115

So it was tuned by feel based on someone's feedback, not just real numbers from ECU throttle map?

I'm mostly driving cars without assists and love challenging cars, but IMO the tyre on/off-grip in RR in general and specially with those cars on-throttle seems exaggerated difficult and less natural compare to AMS2 or rF2 in similar beefy cars. Feels more like driving on a wet track than super-grippy slick tyres in perfect weather-conditions. I'm not saying the cars should be more tame, just that this slightly over-the-limit-tyre-slip should be more drifting and less iceRacing. When I spin I certainly blame it more often on the tyre-model rather my driving:D

I personally have no issue with those 2020 DTM cars, but I find them very different from other R3E cars and think they are a little odd in the way they loose control in a very abrupt way. Apparently I am not the only one which brings me to the point of my post.
I we are to believe a post earlier, they have been made to behave that way on purpose because some driver (s) who is competing in 2020 DTM ( knowing who he is/they are would add credibility) recommended that it is more realistic.
It would be all good if R3E intent to sell that DLC to actual 2020 DTM driver who have any interest in SIM driving in general and R3E in particular. But, and this a big but, if the targeted audience are ( presumably) SIM racers ( yes the one who know nothing about nothing) and those sim racers are finding those 2020 DTM difficult to recommend since they feel odd ( to put it nicely), then I think it is a bad decision and would suggest to listen to what the actual customer are saying ( as ignorant as they might be).
What good is a product (SIM) if their customers are not appreciating what they feel when using the product?

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 106 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing