RaceRoom Racing Experience | Cupra Leon e-Racer Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have released a new car for their RaceRoom Racing Experience simulation - the self-proclaimed world's first fully electric racing car - the Cupra Leon e-Racer.
  • Cupra e-Racer DLC now available.
  • New free to enter esport competition released alongside DLC.
  • 1 model, 26 liveries, £3.63
Cupra e-racer middle 2.jpg

Available now as both a standalone piece of DLC content and as part of a new esport competition within the sim, the new car is available to purchase for around £3.63 and comes with 26 unique liveries - adding another very different driving experience to a title that is packed full of varied and interesting content from historic to modern prototype racing vehicles.

Cupra e-racer middle.jpg

According to the Sector3 Studios release notes, the new car has some impressive performance statistics, with acceleration offering an impressive 0 to 100 in just over 3 seconds, with top speeds up to 270 km/h - in a touring car!

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now, exclusive to PC.

Check out the RaceRoom Racing Experience Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversations about this awesome sim.

Cupra e-racer footer.jpg

Attachments

• Cupra e-racer header.jpg
    Cupra e-racer header.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Not to forget, you don’t have to change gears. How bloody boring that is. Once E-racing is the mainstream I will quit simracing. Or just play old games with V10 and V8 engines Like RRRE, AMS2,Pcars2, rFactor etc. :roflmao:

I have an expensive H pattern shifter on my rig so I can row gears and I use my clutch for those cars obviously.

Many people come to the house and have never used a stick, but are happy to use paddles.

Some day people won't understand why you would want to shift gears.

Even among the people who are used to using a clutch. How many are matching rev's and heel toe'ing?

What people consider fun changes.

As long as people care about shifting and engine noises in sim games those features will be there.

Last edited:
Yeah but even using paddles are more fun than literally just pressing one pedal, then the other, then the other. These cars are clearly still going to take a lot of skill to drive fast, but for me all the things that make it exhilarating and so much fun just aren't there. Even driving a great car slowly (because you're rubbish in it) can be good fun, but driving these things at any speed just feels boring.

Last edited:
After getting used to not downshifting, the car was pretty good to toss around Macau. I'm no expert at the track so there were plenty of mistakes on my part. The difference in torque did come across in R3E. I ran the Leon e-Racer, and Leon WTCR back to back. While I felt a heck of a lot more confident while braking in the WTCR, the Leon e-Racer just went like stink. Holy hell, the WTCR felt slow after getting use to the e-Racer's speed. I still struggle with not downshifting when braking, so I need to warm up a bit before I run the car, but once I'm ready the car is a lot of fun.

My only issues are, changing the battery during a pitstop. It's all types of wrong to hear fuel being pumped into the car. And the off throttle sounds like a blow off valve for the world's tiniest turbo. I am not sure if that is right, or if that is supposed to be the drive shaft compressing? Either way it's weird. Other than that, the car is excellent. Just remember to turn fuel use off if you take it to the Nordschleife. Or else you are only good for 1 lap per refill/swap. BTW, that's where I discovered the fueling issue. :laugh:

I enjoy the sound of these electronic cars, its different, not better or worse than traditional powered cars, just different.
on 15% regeneration, a little nudge does seem to help it get around corners. I am surprised at how few laps you can do before needing a pit stop, it turns quick races in to pit stop races, which I have found to be nice.
I hope the other three cars from PureETC get added at some point along with the push to pass button.
PureETC will be using a hydrogen generator for refueling not a diesel generator.

Last edited:
I hope the other three cars from PureETC get added at some point along with the push to pass button.

That would be nice. S3 is certainly considering this. It would not surprise me when the first e-sports championship will come up next year.

The specs of the car are crazy. Not only talking of the 650hp and 900+Nm, especially the 1,680kg weight including driver is outstanding. In comparison to the WTCR Cupra, although it's a complete different car under the hood, i.e. approx. 500kg more.

It's clear that the electric race cars and many modern race cars are drawing a frontier between the motorsport fans generations.

Most of the young guys I meet in the rallies and hillclimbs in my region don't care at all about the sound the cars make.
They even don't understand the pleasure to listen to some noisy cars or what is a "nice" engine sound.
For them, electric or silent ICE engine (like most of the current R5 rally cars) don't make any difference, it just feels normal.

I often said that the electric race cars will kill motorsport and that they are a calamity.

Actually, it's probably true for most people from my generation and the one after mine (I'm 49), but a lot of guys from the next generations just live with it and some of them even like these horrible sounds !

From there, we probably can say that motorsport will go on, but with a different audience and some different points of interest than the 60s, 70s, 80s and 80s motorsport.

From my point of view, I migrated towards the historic racing events since a long time.
Though, I certainly find it sad that I can't see my favorite sports cars racing in their original championships anymore (especially in hillclimbs), but I still can hear their sound and feel the vibrations of their engines like in the era.
And cherry on the cake, I can drive these cars in my favorite racing games :inlove:

Too bad for the new generations, but let's keep on making noise with our old petrol bolids, real or virtual ! :D

Last edited:
If this is the future, my interest in motor sport will be coming to an end soon.

The only constant in life is change.

In 1985, four percent of Americans named horse racing as their favorite sport; in rank it was in 8th place overall that year.

Fast forward over 30 years. A Harris poll in January of 2016 found that only one percent of Americans claimed horse racing as their sport of choice. It ranked just behind swimming and track and field as the 13th most popular sport.

Just saying everything has a season.

I used to be a hard core slalom skier with a tournament ski boat and we had slalom courses and jumps on area lakes.
In the mid-90's there were a pile of companies making closed bow tournament ski boats. Then everything changed and wakeboarding took over.

The jumps went away first, trick skiers were no more, and the average age of competition slalom skiers started to increase year after year.

I've moved on and haven't been on the lake in a while. Before that I played a lot of racquetball. Before that I raced bicycles.

Last edited:
@anthony monteil
What are your fav sounds in R3E? I guess, it's difficult to chose as there are so many great. But one of the very best I actually experienced because of the silence of the e-cupra, is the DTM 92 M3. When this car is around you, it's just a joy listening what it creates.

If I need to pick only one, that would definitely be the FR90 V12.
I saw two 412 T2 blasted in the 2008 Monaco Historic GP (during the Ferrari parade), and that was a shock, even though I had seen some actual F1 races before. The noise level and the harmonic's beauty of this engine, full throttle in the Monaco streets is something I can't even describe. It's simply the motorsport sound Pinnacle for me.

The FR90 V12 engine sounds different than the 412 T2, it's sampled from the 1991 Ferrari 642, so the exhaust doesn't contain as many harmonics, but it's so representative of the Formula 1 in this era :
extremely loud and musical.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Ford Cosworth DFV engines and its derivates, DFL, DFR, DFY etc.

This passion for the engine sounds comes from my childhood, when I was going to see some hillclimbs races with my uncles. I immediately fell in love with the Formula 2 and the Gr.6 prototypes sounds. mostly powered by BMW 12/7 engines at that time (late 70's), as well as the Simca 1000 Rallye (2,3) and Alpine A110 which represented the main part of the grids in France.
All I remembered then was that it was spectacular, loud and screamy as hell, but I loved it ! :D

Last edited:
The beauty of simracing is that petrol engines will NEVER die.

AS LONG as there are people still buying the software in enough volume.

If people lose interest, than one day the software houses will stop making the software.

Then some day after that when people are running Windows 20 that isn't backwards compatible to play games written for Windows 10, people will either have to keep old computers running, or it will become no more.

Never is a very long time.

From my Avatar you can see that I'm into RC Helicopters. That hobby peaked around 2013 and has been spiraling downwards. Drones came in, FPV racing started. Flybars have all but been replaced with flybarless controllers. Many manufacturers have fallen off the map and the FAA has tightened down where they will let people fly.

I haven't flown at all in 2020 and my helis are collecting dust.

Last edited:
The community is capable enough of writing their own software. I don't worry about that.

And if people massively loose interest in petrol engines it means electric engines aren't so bad. I mean an electric touring car with 270km top speed is pretty epic isn't it?

I haven't driven a Taycan yet.
The last Porsche I drove was a Panamera Turbo and it felt anemic compared to a Tesla Model S.

Self-driving cars can not get here fast enough for me.

Notice how many F1 drivers have an SUV as a daily driver and not a sports car? A streetable car of any kind is so completely mundane next to an F1 car that there is no exhilaration from it. So why bother?

I sort of feel that way with my sim rig. My car will never perform as well as the cars I drive in sims, so I no longer see the point in wanting a car that goes varoom.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back