Raceroom Practice Mode Question

In "Practice", I see transparent red circles with exclamation points in them on track. I assume that these denote the entry points on turns?

If so, hitting entry points, apexes, etc is something that I need a LOT of practice on. So I have a few questions:

1. Are these red circles turned on by default? Are there other "turning points" (ie - braking points, apexes. exit points etc) that can be turned on for training purposes as well?

2. Is some sort of "Score" kept regarding how many of these points you "hit" (and miss)?

3. Is there a particular track/car combo that you would recommend as a general good starting point in practicing staying on the racing line by hitting these "points"?

Thanks!

The exclamation marks are not targets, they're braking points. The racing line they're hovering above also changes colour to reflect this, green for accelerate and red for slow down. Turning the racing line off will also remove the braking markers.

Majuh, are you sure the racing line is of your fastest lap in practice mode, and not the "ideal line"? I'm not sure myself as a rarely use it. I know that in racing practice (ie, the practice session before qualifying) it definitely isn't my own line, as I've used it to find better lines than my own before now.

Also Newbert, if you want to find faster ways around a track you should try the leaderboard challenge mode. Pick a driver a bit faster than you on the leaderboard list and "challenge" them. Then you'll get their racing line, their braking points, and a ghost car of them as you drive, allowing you to see what they're doing and how. It's a really good learning tool. Once you beat the person you challenge, pick someone even higher... rinse and repeat. :)

Also Newbert, if you want to find faster ways around a track you should try the leaderboard challenge mode. Pick a driver a bit faster than you on the leaderboard list and "challenge" them. Then you'll get their racing line, their braking points, and a ghost car of them as you drive, allowing you to see what they're doing and how. It's a really good learning tool. Once you beat the person you challenge, pick someone even higher... rinse and repeat. :)
OK that could be a reason to try that racing line thing out - for the first time :)
Thanks Ross have never tried that.:thumbsup:

@Ross Garland laid it all out perfectly, just one thing to add on my side:

In the Gameplay settings menu, for "Raceline", you have various settings: Off, Ideal, Own / Challenged

At the beginning, when learning a new track, it can be useful to use "Ideal" as it will show you where you should be and where you should look out for a braking zone.

Own/Challenged will show the raceline of the player you are challenging, and if you're not challenging leaderboard entry, then it will show your own raceline from your best recorded laptime.

Good info J-F:thumbsup:
Hehe eventhough Ill admit I have never used the "ideal" racing line to anything in any sim.
Back to the pre-iRacing sim NR2003 and mods most published racing lines were only something either the creator of the track or some modder considered "ideal".

Latest: I just tried both the challenge driving line and ghost car for the first time.
In the beginning I thought it was great suddenly to see the braking points.:)
I did choose to challenge a guy about 1 sec faster than me.
And to about half lap on Nord I was for the first time faster than the PB I untill now hasnt been able to undercut.
But then I made a minor fault and the ghost overtook me.:poop:
And then disaster because I tried panicly to get up to this fu**ng challenge ghost.
And ended up on some destroying curbs.:poop::poop:
Bummer.

Then I tried with only the challenge driving line.
But now I could feel that my natural rytm/flow got destroyed because the braking points often didnt correlate to mine.
But now come the surprising end.
Because when I then without any ghost or driving line gave Nordschleife a try I was suddenly about 1 sec faster than before.
So... what happened?
It was probably some combination of concentration, placebo:p and relaxation having no challenging ghost and patronizing racing line.:sneaky:
Or mayb it was just a proof that you cannot learn an old dog new tricks:)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 128 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 471 39.0%