RaceRoom | New Patch And Sector3 Developer Notes

Looks gorgeous in VR.

In my opinion it looks worse in VR than on the screen. The lighting inside the car is - compared to AC - way too bright and lacks of shadows and correct shading. And the most disturbing things in VR are the 2D-mirrors. It's like watching LCD displays mounted in your mirror housings. AC with CSP is much better when it comes to real 3D mirrors in VR. Nevertheless I find myself more often in the cockpit of a R3E car then in AC. The FFB with my DD1 ist WAY better than AC since the last FFB update and the new tire physics. R3E simply is all about driving.

Ryan Soucy

Premium
It always was in the game, they can't fool us!!! :sneaky: :whistling:

Btw., amazing how fast he adapts to the driving behaviour and actually drives decent after 2 laps on a videogame device :D

First off, how cool to see Nige rip it up like that.

Second: WHAT?!! ? Get me that fricking Brands layout. I've bought the Legends, Pro, then Premium pack over the years. I long for Brands GP!!! Even if it doesn't look perfect. Heck, I paid actual money for iRacing's wireframe "Tech" track at NJMP.

Looks gorgeous in VR.
I also think RRE looks great in VR, mostly because of texturing and details are so well done that compensates a lot the old technology. Additionally, the color palette is well balanced and looks very realistic to me. Big thumbs up to the team.
Looking forward the new features and improvements, perhaps this cockpit sound update will be followed by cockpit animations (ACC style ;))

Andrew_WOT

Premium
In my opinion it looks worse in VR than on the screen. The lighting inside the car is - compared to AC - way too bright and lacks of shadows and correct shading. And the most disturbing things in VR are the 2D-mirrors. It's like watching LCD displays mounted in your mirror housings. AC with CSP is much better when it comes to real 3D mirrors in VR. Nevertheless I find myself more often in the cockpit of a R3E car then in AC. The FFB with my DD1 ist WAY better than AC since the last FFB update and the new tire physics. R3E simply is all about driving.
AC has better cockpits, and with SOL better weather effects, R3E sharper, with better textures, and more photo realistic. I wouldn't say there is an absolute winner out of two.
On FFB side, AC makes more sense physics wise, R3E can feel GOOD with all the extra effects esp. on lower wheels, but hardly a serious contender to Kunos.

In think it's very easy to say that in 2020, they each get the very most out of their engines graphically wise. The bones of both sims have been around since early 2010's. I just spent time in Raceroom tonight after an AGE away from the sim, probably 6 months. Suzuka, looked great. Imagine some sort of weather effect. Is there time of day change in RR? I can't remember. Like actually when you're on track.

RaceNut

Premium
Central Wisconsin
I'm curious to hear what they're doing with the cockpit audio. Perhaps S3 is inspired by ACC audio(?) I guess that's how the best get to that point, they just keep evolving and getting better.

anthony monteil

Sector3 Studios
I'm curious to hear what they're doing with the cockpit audio. Perhaps S3 is inspired by ACC audio(?) I guess that's how the best get to that point, they just keep evolving and getting better.
Not inspired by ACC audio, but more adding in R3E a functionality it's been missing since the beginning, or more exactly, missing in a proper realistic way. The only thing I can say for now is that the immersion in cockpit is significantly enhanced, there is no way back for sure, and externals are not left alone either as the new said functionality works for all kinds of cameras. This thing is simply addictive, it almost makes you forget to drive :D .And replays got even more spectacular once again. I'm pretty sure you guys will enjoy this ;)

Andrew_WOT

Premium
Not inspired by ACC audio, but more adding in R3E a functionality it's been missing since the beginning, or more exactly, missing in a proper realistic way. The only thing I can say for now is that the immersion in cockpit is significantly enhanced, there is no way back for sure, and externals are not left alone either as the new said functionality works for all kinds of cameras. This thing is simply addictive, it almost makes you forget to drive :D .And replays got even more spectacular once again. I'm pretty sure you guys will enjoy this ;)
Is it gonna be better than ACC, is all content updated, any ETA on that patch?

anthony monteil

Sector3 Studios
Is it gonna be better than ACC, is all content updated, any ETA on that patch?
I won't compare ACC and R3E, we're working with totally different tools and budgets.
Let's say ACC did it a different way, but you really need to hear it in R3E to understand what I mean.
I think I've never heard such a thing in another game before but I could be wrong.
And yes, all the cars are updated soundwise.

No precise ETA about the patch yet, the DTM 2020 cars need to be ready for the same patch.
That shouldn't take more than a handful of weeks, as our producer Jean-François Chardon said. ;)

Last edited:

Dave Thayer

Premium
Man this is great with all the updates the developers are doing for RaceRoom.

Reading the text about cheaters in this game, I am glad the developers, STEAM
or whoever is cracking down on those that want to cheat in a game just to win or whatever.
No matter what it is in our lives, people want to cheat to get ahead.

Anyway, looking forward to trying all the new updates and using VR in the game.
Keep up the great work for this game.

take care.

RaceNut

Premium
Central Wisconsin
The updates sound like they will be great Anthony. I can't help but to be impressed with your pursuit of excellence. I look forward to experiencing the results. :thumbsup:

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Staff
Premium
are you kidding? he drives it like a nutjob. :D
Haha, love that video! :D

It's funny how he's talking and laughing at first, then the moment the driving starts he's dead quiet with no smiles. Total concentration. First question when qualy ends, "Is that pole or what?" :laugh: Then the race and it's back to total concentration... and when he finishes first he's bouncing in his seat with his fists in the air like a kid! :roflmao:

Just goes to show... once a racer, always a racer... no matter what the circumstances! :cool: