RaceRoom down for update 4/04/19

I do follow the general rule of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I still follow this general rule for Nvidia drivers, Ross .... as we're never sure it's not a crap one. :(
Maybe it brings something better for newer GPU .... but is it the same for another previous less recent one ? .... that's mostly the question I'm asking myself nowadays.

Sometimes I wonder if everything is not released in Early Access ! :D

But in case of problems, that's surely one of the first steps to consider.

The problem is the frequency, every other bloody day, would rather they took a leaf out of S3's book and updated once a month or soon™ there after.
It is generally the hotfix released a couple day's after any update that produces the best results for me, with the very last hotfix, 425.25 seems to maintain my very high fps (for me), regularly over 100, running 3 x 27" at 1080p, using a nVidia GTX1080, really have nothing to complain about, at the moment.
The "if it ain't broke, don't fix" analogy doesn't really cut it when talking about the modern PC. So many bug fixes with every update for every driver that you are far better trying it, any problems and just get rid and put the previous one back on, little effort for something that could well invigorate your system. Else, as I said previously, just wait a couple day's, google it and any problems will be flashing like a Neon sign at the top of the list.

Well the latest driver 425.31 has given me by far best performance in most games and benchmarks (scoring 10157 in Superposition 4k compared to 10048 previously) but doesn't help R3E in the slightest!

Jesus wept, another one! :confused:
Struggling to keep up, well at least by updating you have had benefits in other titles, I noticed when I had the issue that if I turned all the effects off in display settings in RR, bloom, AA etc, restarted the sim, it made absolutely no difference, which doesn't make sense, that was the route I was going to take in trying to work out what was going on but then an update cured the lot, so never pursued this avenue any further. Good luck!

Have you tried talking to S3 about this directly? Start a ticket, someone will ask for some logs, then hopefully be able to let you know what's occurring. I only install 3 parts of the nVidia driver and no experience, junk all the 3dvision guff. I also noticed that Bloom was causing issues recently and dumped that as well, not sure if that's a RR or nVidia issue. Trouble is there are just so many avenues to try, it can turn into a bit of a marathon. Still don't really know why mine sorted itself out, Windows is on the update path again, :rolleyes: so I'd get that on and hope that helps to start. You need someone in the know to check your logs, so you know what is actually happening, badger someone at S3.

Crazy that I had exactly what you describe and that just a driver update seemed to be the cure, so hard to single things out when hardware/software being updated at an ever increasing rate. Have read a couple threads where it appears the link is with steering wheel drivers/firmware but guessing you've tried all that. Might be an idea if you have another controller to swap it for your usual kit and see if anything improves. Just remembered I had a similar issue a couple years back and if I swapped the usb for wheel to another slot and rebooted all was well. Gonna be a real bummer but it's gonna be down to something real simple and probably bloody obvious! :rolleyes: Good luck, will keep ear to ground for similar threads.

I think i fixed it ! Go to Win 10 settings and search background apps and turn any off ! I had 3 on (cant remember what they where as ive done so many thing in my pursuit of 4k60 again) and turned them off and i can play R3E again :)
Its really weird because in Task Manager i had no usage when idle or gaming other that the game running and pretty much nothing else. Even with my previous install of Win 10 i never even looked at this background apps part of settings so i definitely never turned any off previously !
Have a look if anything is on in there and just turn them off and try running R3E !
I also turned dwm.exe down from High priority to Normal in task manager ! Dont know if that helped or not as i did both these things at the same time ,lol

I also turned dwm.exe down from High priority to Normal in task manager
That's a really bad idea. Unless you like unresponsive Windows. That's the Windows desktop manager process.

You really shouldn't be messing with priorities unless you really know what you're doing, which you apparently don't. And especially when it comes to system processes.

That's a really bad idea. Unless you like unresponsive Windows. That's the Windows desktop manager process.

You really shouldn't be messing with priorities unless you really know what you're doing, which you apparently don't. And especially when it comes to system processes.
Well windows is responding just the same as before but my game is running as it did before all this mess started!
Just so you know, I do have next to no idea about PC's other than what I've learnt from hands on, I wasn't born knowing everything about everything like most people on forums seem too!
But all I do know is R3E got stuffed up from some update and I fixed it doing exactly what I posted about ;)

I expected a similar response. Just so you know.

Nevertheless, it's still important to warn others not to follow your example, which is why I posted the above in the first place. Messing with system processes' priority is playing with fire, plain and simple.

I expected a similar response. Just so you know.

Nevertheless, it's still important to warn others not to follow your example, which is why I posted the above in the first place. Messing with system processes' priority is playing with fire, plain and simple.
lol, my just so you know was telling you exactly what you did say! I have no idea about PC's so in actual fact I was saying you were right ;) but doing what I did fixed my issue plain and simple where it is the right thing to do or not.
If dropping the process from high to normal makes windows slow just switch it back ;)

I have just been informed that upon every restart priorities get reset back to default and I've since looked at dwm.exe and it is indeed back to high priority! So that wasn't my issue and certainly didn't effect my system performance by dropping it down to normal,and in any event the system reset it back anyway.
So me not knowing what I was doing seems like I'm not the only one, lol

(If that is supposed to be a jab at me, then I'll just note that I am absolutely aware of the fact priority normally gets reset by restart, but a) there are ways to make them stick which you might or might not have done, and b) it doesn't change the fact messing with the priority of a process such as DWM is a terrible idea.)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 418 16.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 281 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 276 10.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 191 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 323 12.8%