Raceroom didn`t start anymore....

Hello everybody,
I have a problem with Raceroom lately. Since the last update of November Raceroom does not start anymore, I only get a black screen. I've already installed the latest video driver, cleared the cache, changed the screen resolution, but that did not help. I have also reinstalled raceroom, but no change. Can you help me, please. Thanks in advance.
Greetings Ralf :)

Rollback option is only present if you're not using an automatic driver update and don't save the previous driver version ... or don't create a restore point before installing the new one.

One of the 1st reason why I never allow automatic updates for such important PC applications.

I'm too on latest Nvidia driver with no issues but if they are causing problems and you don't have a copy of the old, whip to www.guru3d.com/ and grab them, uninstall the old, you may need to use a specific uninstaller (available from same place) if you are still having problems or wait 5 minutes and Nvidia will release another driver, as there appears to be an update every other day.

I'm too on latest Nvidia driver with no issues but if they are causing problems and you don't have a copy of the old, whip to www.guru3d.com/ and grab them, uninstall the old, you may need to use a specific uninstaller (available from same place) if you are still having problems or wait 5 minutes and Nvidia will release another driver, as there appears to be an update every other day.
Cheers !!
And no sh%$ on the Nvidia updates, RR3 is the only affected sim out of the many I run, as well video editing programs are fine too. Just seems such a coincidence that I just got back into RR3 and created a few championships to run, as well turned on a friend to it. Next day this happened.

One only thing that's not said yet .... are you sure your antivirus did not consider an important RRE file as a trojan or I don't know which one that some idiot security system might name for a false positive .... and simply deleted it !?

Well known case ( before I did the necessary ) with Norton Security ... with some sims when they got an update.
It's what happened for me with RF2 exe, Automobilista exe and even Fanaleds. Some were placed in quarantine, some simply erased.... sometimes might be restored, sometimes not.
When restored or redownloaded, they needed to be exempted from analysis, else with the next update, the same happened.

Have a look at your antivirus history ... maybe you'll find your answer to your problem

Mostly the kind of problem that may happen with Norton, Kaspersky, Avast, McAfee for example ( +- 6 or 7 but I don't remember all of them ).

From one day to the other, a game may have worked and suddenly no longer works.
1st thing to look at.... the culprit might be the antivirus, except if you had another big update for your OS.

NB but when I install an update, I'm always near the PC ... so I immediately see a AV message and may react quickly. .....
Most are false positives problems.

Last edited:
One only thing that's not said yet .... are you sure your antivirus did not consider an important RRE file as a trojan or I don't know which one that some idiot security system might name for a false positive .... and simply deleted it !?

Well known case ( before I did the necessary ) with Norton Security ... with some sims when they got an update.
It's what happened for me with RF2 exe, Automobilista exe and even Fanaleds. Some were placed in quarantine, some simply erased.... sometimes might be restored, sometimes not.
When restored or redownloaded, they needed to be exempted from analysis, else with the next update, the same happened.

Have a look at your antivirus history ... maybe you'll find your answer to your problem

Mostly the kind of problem that may happen with Norton, Kaspersky, Avast, McAfee for example ( +- 6 or 7 but I don't remember all of them ).

From one day to the other, a game may have worked and suddenly no longer works.
1st thing to look at.... the culprit might be the antivirus, except if you had another big update for your OS.

NB but when I install an update, I'm always near the PC ... so I immediately see a AV message and may react quickly. .....
Most are false positives problems.
I run Kaspersky and don't usually run into that issue. Worth looking into though...Cheers!

I run Kaspersky and don't usually run into that issue. Worth looking into though...Cheers!
Definitely worth a look, I was always on Bitdefender but a recent update (can't remember which) for one or the other, stopped me being able to log Leaderboard times, tried everything but could not get it to work. Priorities adjusted, Bitdefender uninstalled and me back on the Leaderboards! :thumbsup: Yeah, so you have to scroll down a fair old way but there is a time logged.

Not sure any longer but Bitdefender must be in the lot of the 6-7 AV I mentioned.

From what I concluded, it seems to be done by the heuristic analysis ... maybe not done by all other AVs... as those 6-7 AV have those kinds of false positives while they are not detected by the other ones .... when looking at the list at Virus Total.

I'm aware that it's done for a better security ... but sometimes it's really annoying when a real safe exe is detected while that's not a real risk.
A better consciousness of the user is the most important thing ... but we never can be fully sure.

Reinstalled the game today and have the same black screen issue with the intro music playing in the background. The game is only having issues when launching in vr.....non vr launches fine.
Fresh game install
No anti-virus or malware running
Not running the latest Nvidia driver.....currently using 416.34
windows 10 up to date

Any suggestions? how far are you guys rolling back the drivers?

Edit: using a Lenovo explorer wmr

Edit: sorted the issue, seems to only be effecting WMR headsets....launch the game in normal monitor view, go to controls and map a vr recenter button, exit sim, go to steam launch controls add -vr, exit launch the Sim in x64 bit steam vr, wait the background music than hit your mapped recenter button and the image will appear.

Took a few hrs to figure this out....sadly vr image was blurry and performance was terrible on my system....could not get it to run without asw kicking in. 45fps was too nauseating and was a little dissapointed to only see 3 servers running with a total of 10 people in mp at 7pm MT :(

Last edited:
I tried to launch it last night; I got the pop up that says 'starting' but it just hung there for mins. Finally ran task manager to kill it, tried it again and it did the same thing. It worked fine a couple weeks ago.

I tried to launch it last night; I got the pop up that says 'starting' but it just hung there for mins. Finally ran task manager to kill it, tried it again and it did the same thing. It worked fine a couple weeks ago.

This often happens when the game cannot communicate with the servers. Try again today and see how it goes.

Definitely worth a look, I was always on Bitdefender but a recent update (can't remember which) for one or the other, stopped me being able to log Leaderboard times, tried everything but could not get it to work. Priorities adjusted, Bitdefender uninstalled and me back on the Leaderboards! :thumbsup: Yeah, so you have to scroll down a fair old way but there is a time logged.
Well after a complete domino effect of RR3 black screening on me. I reinstalled older driver for Nvidia (finally) Window 10 had many errors and turned into a BSOD contest of reboots and system restore points. So I brought it in to my local shop, and even he was amazed of how badly corrupt Windows 10 was after this "domino" of errors compiled. Wiped ssd and hd with new Windows 10.............. He said this must have been an issue before, I told him only when Nvidia update and RR3 was the only thing that didn't run until the FUBAR situation. Anyways getting it back today and hopefully that's the end of my issues for now.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 405 40.1%