Racer v0.9.0 RC10 Released

Yes! Kegetys is the man when it comes to hacks, I remember when he hacked new cars into LFS years ago way before anyone else.
Unfortunately this is probably going to be our only alternative since development has stopped. :(

Alex Forbin

Since you both talking about Kegetys, did you tried his DK2 LFS 0.6G version ?

I recently wrote a post & a big thanks for all these years I've been massively using his surround DX9 hack app, but now everything works fine with EyeFinity with DisplayGroup.

If you like me, using multi-screen, I recommend using in parallel, Custom Resolution Utility, which just somehow changes in reg the refresh rate, so I'm now have my 75Hz which for sure, makes a huge difference when gaming !

Stupid AMD CCC which somehow 'caps' the refresh rate...I was hallucinating some weeks ago when I saw he didn't accepted my rates.

Hope that helps some of you...

I told Jaron Lanier the same thing many many years ago after he showed me his new eyephone (no, not iphone), VR was just (we thought) taking off and the equipment was way overpriced. I told him my concerns about VR not being able to survive in the long run without an entry level product that could achieve market penetration and feed a development base. It turned out that a movie had as much to do with it's initial failure as much as anything else.
Lawnmower Man was a B-grade movie about a professor using VR to radically enhance the IQ of a lawnmower man. It was horrible timing for the fledgling VR business since it depicted VR in a VERY advanced state and WAY oversold its capabilities. Unfortunately, this was the film that introduced the world to VR. It seemed that everyone I knew told me how VR was going to change the world, and it was soooo real! I tried desperately to explain that the movie was nothing but hype and that it wasn't anywhere near that developed yet. They pushed the movie hard in the press and people clamored to know more. As expected however, as soon as they actually saw VR in real life and got a look at the price they were immediately turned off. Since then no major company has been willing to be the first out of the gate with a product and as I predicted it's been a "chicken or the egg" scenario ever since.
This time I'm not waiting, I did my bit to support it early on and now Mark Zuckerberg (ugh) has jumped in with his young demographic and all the money in the world. If it fails now, it was just never meant to be.

P.S. I agree with you Dave, I am not usually an early adopter, this case is special. :)

Alex Forbin

I remember playing on a VR machine in Meadow Hall shopping centre near Sheffield in the mid 90's.

It was some kinda 3D shooter, but about a generation back for the time, so just polygons in solid colours, no textures/filtering and all that stuff.

I'd say it was rather ok all considered... but ultimately given the games looked no better than PC ones at the time, and the idea was to stand up with those gloves and big headsets in a donut shaped restraining barrier thingy, it just wouldn't have ever made sense except as a novelty for people to play on at public events etc.

But since the console boom was just happening too, Megadrive, textured/shaded 3D graphics on PC, and PS1 some years later too, I think any VR stuff anyone bought would be promptly left out-dated before it even made a fraction of it's initial investment.

Today is completely different though, since the market is stupidly wide in comparison to back then. Everyone and his dog will go buy a PC wheel for there now much cheaper PC, and even console buyers are buying expensive peripherals.
The visuals are now so far along that generational jumps are not so severe to make old kit look out-dated immediately.

Right now is the time for it to come I'm sure... it'll still improve with every generation appreciably I'm sure too...
Any flight sim or driving game will be a complete revelation with a well set up VR system in the next 5 years imo!

Dave

Interesting link about the DK2 :
[URL='http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2rn029/is_the_oculus_rift_dk2_worth_it/']Is the Oculus Rift DK2 worth it? [/URL]

Here's some other related stuff after some research I done :

Google Cardboard Virtual Reality
vrAse: The Smartphone Virtual Reality Case
Archos VR Glass
Durovis Dive VR Glass
DelanClip - TrackIR DIY
EDTracker - TrackIR DIY
Trinus Gyre - Trinus Gyre, PC gaming VR with your phone
Nimble VR / Leap Motion [Hands Movements in VR]

To me, all this VR is just a mix of surround gaming + TrackIR.

+ in virtuality/simulation, we are maybe the best placed persons to talk about it, since we all develop for this amazing racing simulator with the intend of being close to what it could be in reality. Still, we all know, how complex the world is & how many variables it has, to really feel it, reproduce it & simulate it . Even with a steering wheel or simulation seat, simulating +2G forces on a 6 axis system, that can't replace the real joy of actually experiencing it for real.

Yep, having the visual sensations and 3D with a VR headset is still missing all the visceral feelings of accelerations etc.

I can drive in Racer for a few hours and my real car suddenly feels very fast/accelerative and weird. It takes a minute or so to fully re-acclimatise to the sensations that were missing when playing a computer sim!

It's quite interesting to see where it all might end up in say 40-50 years time.

Dave

OK, I just tried this version and it loaded first time.

Visually at least I'm still concerned by the mix of sky systems we have at present.

• The new background sky itself, which houses the sun spot and dome colourings and intensity, is not editable with the TOD curves or special.ini settings. The only influence you can have upon it is the time/lat/long and the sun diffuse colour TOD curves. There is no way to impact the sky's three fundamental tunable parameters, rayleigh, mie and extinction amount (colour tinting, diffusion of the sun spot, size of the sun spot etc) This was possible in the old Racer sky. I assume these parameters are now hard coded elsewhere in the sky rendering shaders, and the TOD parameters are not yet tied to these new variables.
  • The old TOD settings impact the scene object extinction and scene object lighting completely, but now you end up tuning the settings there to match the fixed sky appearance, rather than the other way around. Ideally you'd set how the sky looks (we're half way there, just need mie, ray and extinction controls), and then everything would cascade down from there naturally and automatically.
  • The current extinction/fog for scene objects seems overly bright in many situations, or the incorrect colour tint to what you expect. It blends well with the new sky rendering however, but how this occurs when the sky itself cannot have the mie/ray tuned isn't clear to me right now. I'm still thinking (need to look over the shaders to clarify) that the old mie/ray system is present and used for scene object extinction, and then the new sky system is also taking some of these parameters but not others, and rendering itself independently over the top again. This behaviour was evident in past Racer versions with the new sky system. It seems better here but it still feels like scene object extinctions are too intense and oddly coloured to me.

Car flares also seem to be not working, along with the projected headlights causing some bugs. Since an entire new z-depth system appears to be in these new beta versions I'm assuming that some old hard-coded shaders or rarely used ones (such as flares and projected headlights?) haven't been updated to the latest specifications.

This new sky system does seem fundamentally good as a basis. Side by side with the old one, it looks much more vividly coloured and 'real'
However getting the scene objects to light in response to it properly still seems a struggle. The fact the new sky is not properly tunable via mie/ray and extinction, and yet the old system seems to be running underneath still, I'd probably say that is the cause of most of the problems.

With this new system cleaned up and formalised it'd be a definite upgrade. More so if we could automate TOD diffuse rgb and ambient rgb values from the final rendered sky dome values!

I'm not too sure about any other problems yet.

The ATI issue is a shame. Comparing the renderer folders for a working version and a non-working version would be interesting.
It'd be great for some clarity from Ruud on if this is an accident or purposeful omission, and why.

Cheers

Dave

Other things I found out (like I said in my thread) are these:

-(has already been said but whatever) the starter sound gets played twice.
-you have no control over the car shadow's intensity from car.ini but just via alpha channel.
-it seems like the light cone textures for projected lights need SUPER CLEAN borders, else random light stripes are scattered around the cone.

I just downloaded Racer 0.9.rc10 and have the same graphics issues that others are having with ATI/AMD cards. Now downloading rc8 so will see if that works.

Mine is a Sapphire HD 7770 OC 1gb and I just have a bunch of colored polygons, I can actually drive the car but would like to have the track looking like the screenshots. Also I have no sound at all from my AMD High Definition audio device.

I did have a bunch of flickering but turned off the Render Once and that got rid of that.

UPDATE:

rc8 didn't work either but went back to rc6 and the graphics are fine and I have sound, I get 90+fps in 1080p and all setting on highest, so will now look into extra tracks and cars, thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I bet that the old sound system (single sample for engine sound etc.) was discarded in newer releases, that's why you have no car sounds on some cars... but it's pretty weird.

Do you get sounds with the original Lamborghini which comes with the game?

I bet that the old sound system (single sample for engine sound etc.) was discarded in newer releases, that's why you have no car sounds on some cars... but it's pretty weird.

Do you get sounds with the original Lamborghini which comes with the game?
Strange. No i don't have engine sound with the original Lamborghini. I will install old version :(

The sound system has been re-organised a bit from a car.ini layout perspective.

I think the issue is that the old default car sound entries/syntax have been removed and so you need to make sure old content is updated.

I think any way.

Or it could be the racer.ini audio auto-detect having problems, try change from none/mono/stereo/quad speakers.

Also double check the volume setting.

Cheers

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back