Racer v0.8.38 released

Ruud

RACER Developer
Racer v0.8.38 is now available at http://www.mediafire.com/file/a9z1omd6rmhzymb/racer0.8.38b.7z

Enjoy!
Ruud

Changelist:
- Look_up/look_down controls added for to make TrackIR devices possible.
That makes head tracking possible, although currently a bit crude.
- In your controller file you can add global.up_down_velocity to set up/down look velocity (default=250)
- In your controller file you can add global.up_down_look_max to set the max up/down look angle (default=45)
- Removed energy conserving diffuse/specular lighting for version 0.9.
- Auto exposure turned back on. It can cause dips in framerate on some systems (every second, a grab is mipmapped to obtain the scene brightness).
- Added shader .mipmap_bias for the global shader and optionally for separate layers.
- Added cubemap mipmapping to all reflection shaders for environment mapping.
Requires a good graphics card; otherwise, turn off envmap.generate_mipmaps (set to 0).
- Fixed keep_aspect (dials/views.ini) for multi-monitor setups.
- Setting up graphics settings and starting a race would crash.
- Added dev.collisions setting to globally turn off collision checking.
- Wireframe mode gave bad texturing for the rest of the graphics.
- Trackcam FOV clamped to zoom range indicated by the camera
- Newton solver parameters reverted in the hopes of fixing now & then hangups (10-200 seconds each, after several hours of play)
- Car camera offset seems back working; the FIXED camera type should now work correctly again.
- Shadowmapping in car camera mode focuses on the car, even if the camera from/to positions are some distance away from the car.
- Reverted back to FMod 4.30 (was v4.36) since some people had volume problems at startup.
- Differential power_ratio warnings were mistakenly given for non-LSD type diffs.

I reread the Readme file (v0.0838) and noted the "Good graphics card reguired" or turn off "generate mipmaps." That was the source of one of my problems.
I have an nVidia GTX285 graphics card running ver 6.14.11.8206 driver. So why didn't it work? Do I possibly have some obscure setting wrong? What is now considered a "Good" graphics card? My GTX285 is only 2 years old, purchased 1-2010.
The sky was ok in ver 0.0837 so something chabged and I haven't figured out just what yet.

When I did the Sugo update I did the shadows selectivly by putting in a shadow and then checking the effect for each of over 100 textures.
Killed the battery in my mouse twice. LOL

I have the same card and no problems. I'm running 6.14.12.* something...

Perhaps try to upgrade your drivers?

Thanks camsinny, ok it works on Carlswood ;)
Same for the reload track command.

Rechecking the whole & trying to understand what's happening !

Anyone with a decent explanation ? There should, logically speaking, be a common denominator in our tracks & probably a common & quick fix for all of us running reload commands, hm.

Thanks Some1 I'll look into updating my nVidia driver.
Camsinny, got EFIN working by deleteing the cg/ and noted that the sky shader in the renerer folder changed from 0.0837 to 0.0838.
Also noted that Ruud got over 600 FPS on his gsl version of Zandvoort on his blog on racer nl.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The cameras are still broken, when using SMD cameras and turning the car, the cameras will pivot around the cars point of origin making you move closer and farther away from the dash.:confused:

Ruud here is a camera that demonstrates the effect...

Code:
camera0
{
  offset
  {
    x=0.398438
    y=0.9258
    z=-0.2407
  }
  offset_to
  {
    x=0.398438
    y=0.9258
    z=2.407
  }
  src
  {
    mass=5
    k=1150
    damping=695
    maxdist=0.23
  }
  dst
  {
    mass=10
    k=1000
    damping=1000
    maxdist=.0
  }
  model=1
  wheels=0
  view=1
fov=60
  name=driver
}

Alex Forbin

How can I get system parameter working on scripts ?

Code:
get system (string)
Returns:
float
Comment:
Get system parameter or signal.

set system (string) to (float)
Comment:
Set system parameter (signals can't be set).

echo (string)
Comment:
Prints a message to the console.

get node (string)
Returns:
rnode
Comment:
Get node with given name (is usually trackdir+"/"+doffilename).

hide (rnode)
Comment:
Hide given node.

show (rnode)
Comment:
Show given node.

scale motion (float)
Comment:
Scale motion.

Thanks camsinny, ok it works on Carlswood ;)
Same for the reload track command.

Rechecking the whole & trying to understand what's happening !

Anyone with a decent explanation ? There should, logically speaking, be a common denominator in our tracks & probably a common & quick fix for all of us running reload commands, hm.

Weird, it works for me too on SwissStroll (Cg).

I see you have good FPS Ruud, I assume that's because everything's in the early stages and there's no shadowmapping and everything...can we expect comparable framerates when GLSL fully implemented or do you expect a slight or large increase in the FPS we get?

I would say similar, as it all maps to the same hardware anyway. It might get a bit faster when UBO's are used, taking less parameter changing. The weird thing is that Cg uses separate vertex/fragment paths (you can select them independently), where GLSL takes 1 program for the entire pipeline, which complicates some things (such as shadowmapping fragment shaders, which currently are much simpler and would require a variant of all the programs where the vertex shader is the same, but the fragment shader a simpler one).

I would say similar, as it all maps to the same hardware anyway. It might get a bit faster when UBO's are used, taking less parameter changing. The weird thing is that Cg uses separate vertex/fragment paths (you can select them independently), where GLSL takes 1 program for the entire pipeline, which complicates some things (such as shadowmapping fragment shaders, which currently are much simpler and would require a variant of all the programs where the vertex shader is the same, but the fragment shader a simpler one).

Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to bring back the "render to texture" motion blur we had before VBOs in GLSL. It was by far the best looking in my opinion. (for what that's worth ;)).

Alex Forbin

Hehe, sweet :D

This should be fairly interesting for testing out tyre failures etc... set the a2/b2 pacejka coeffs too and you could try your luck at saving your car from spinning out etc :)

Hmmmm, the possibilities!!!

Dave

Hehe, sweet :D

This should be fairly interesting for testing out tyre failures etc... set the a2/b2 pacejka coeffs too and you could try your luck at saving your car from spinning out etc :)

Hmmmm, the possibilities!!!

Dave

Damage IS part of a good fun simulation. Another convert.;)
You could also replace the wheel model while you were at it. One with an appropriate geometry shader, of course.

Alex Forbin

Damage IS part of a good fun simulation. Another convert.;)
You could also replace the wheel model while you were at it. One with an appropriate geometry shader, of course.
Hmm... a vertex shader that draws the flat tire? I guess you could use world coordinates to just flatten the bottom of it (grab object position out of modelMatrix,, check if posW is some amount lower, if so, pull the vertex up). Seems like incorporating tire deformation's better left to Ruud though.

Another fun one would be to break a tie rod, set wheel0.lock=0, toe value to the old angle it was at, then wobble it around out of control.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back