Racer v0.8.32 released!

Ruud

RACER Developer
After a small break (where I broke nothing except 1 snowscooter), a new Racer.

Get it at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.32.zip

Changes:
- The Lambo differential ratio was a bit low (1.75) - reverted to 2.53.
- Differential could become unstable when the 2 wheels got opposite reaction forces.
- Removed obsolete wheel<n>.friction_road values from data/cars/default/car.ini.
- Replay audio (replay.wav) was empty when recorded.
- Multiplayer fixes (billboard nodes/car names)
- Smoke tweaks (soft particles, improved motion)
- Shadowmapping normal dependency improved for shadow acne reduction

Crossing splines is really a no go - Racer will at best alternately see one spline quad, then the other. We got that a few weeks ago when spline sections overlapped at start/finish and it would see the first (s/f) and overlapping spline sections randomly.

How does the AI search for splines. I assumed it used them like a list, and just went linearly up the spline numbers... so seeing splines 100 sections ahead or behind wouldn't have mattered?!

Dave

It does depend what the chrome's reflecting. The scene needs the right brightness in order for the chrome to reflect the right thing. I've found chrome to look pretty good on the whole. Though it would benefit from being able to use mipmap blurred versions of the reflection map for sure (real chrome's generally not a perfect smooth surface, it has small level imperfections that blur stuff slightly. And the Aronde's hubcaps aren't supposed to be fully chrome, they're a much less shiny surface).
RCP2n.jpg

I said before that I'd post the code for my chrome so here it is. (vf_reflect is standard, as seen in Lamborghini etc.)
Code:
vf_chrome~vf_reflect
{  
  fresnel
  {
    bias=0.8
    scale=0.2
    power=2.0
  }
}
Code:
shader_chrome~vf_chrome
{
  reflect=0.9
  shininess=15
  specular=0.2 0.2 0.2
  layer0
  {
    map=chrome.tga 
  }
  layer1
  {
    map=$trackenvmap
  }
}
chrome.tga is #00000d, a very very dark blue. Could just as easily be black.

I guess I'll look at the mini's shaders a bit later, it does seem a little off in the pictures.

Can you tell me how to add your chrome settings to QCM shader? https://rapidshare.com/files/459920217/mini_cooper_s.7z

In that case, open car.shd and drop the first code segment somewhere at the top (with the other vf_ bits)

Then scroll down to where the metal's defined - shader_metal
Change it to read shader_metal~vf_chrome, and replace the shader code
Code:
reflect=1
ambient=
fresnel
{
}
With what's in the chrome shader I said
Code:
  reflect=0.9
  shininess=15
  specular=0.2 0.2 0.2
  ambient=0.1 0.1 0.1
That should pretty much cover it. Modify the shader_wheels similarly. I went with this, which isn't really ideal but decent:
Code:
shader_wheels~vf_chrome
{
  motion_blur=1
  cast_shadows=1
  compression=0
  reflect=0.05
  diffuse=.4 .4 .42
  specular=.3 .3 .3
  shininess=45
  emission=0 0 0
  cull=none