Racer v0.8.11 is out

Ruud

RACER Developer
Yep, another version. Get it at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.11.zip (60Mb)

To testdrive, also check out Swiss Stroll Cg at http://www.racerdownloads.com/uploads_view.php?type=T&cmd=latest

Enjoy!
Ruud

The changes:

- Added standard_wave_banner_v.g for waving banners, see http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/waving_flag.html#banners
- Skidmark painting more robust (texture usage and render state could cause transparent or black renders)
- Non-Cg version still tried to load shadowmapping Cg shaders when renderer.shadowmapping.enable was 1
- Projected lights intensity back from 1.1 to 0.6( data/renderer/shaders_*/projected_texture_f.cg)
- Default shader_<x>.reflect value is now 1.0 (was 0)
- Modified per shader layer reading of .ambient a little; otherwise the global shader_<x>.ambient
did not default to the global shader_<x>.diffuse. This only really influences non-Cg .shd files.
- dyn_standard_reflect_window_v/f.cg improved to do per-pixel fresnel.
- Reflection shaders fixed to respond to ambient/diffuse more accurately ('diffuse=0 0 0' still gave a shadow).
- The Lambo brakediscs now heat up through an alpha layer, looks better
- shadowmapping.shadowintensity removed - shadows are ambient and need not be softened (would only include false diffuse lighting)
- Shader directories combined into data/renderer/shaders/*. Compilation uses -DCSM for shadowmapped variety.
- Shadowmapping optimized a little bit in the .cg shaders.

As per your problem Stereo, the ambient shading is now also impacted by normals (too aggressively imo), so your 0.6 ambient is actually 0.3 ish on the horizontal normals, and pure black on the downward pointing ones... I find 1 1 1 ideal for ambient, for matte paint covered in clear coat lacquer...
Ah yeah, that'd do it. I wonder if there's some way (for the car at least) to pick a colour from the envmap that corresponds to "straight down" and interpolate between that and ambient instead (when a car's on a white beach, it's not gonna have zero ambient light from below). I guess that'd be float3(0.0, -1.0, 0.0)? I'll have to look it up.

I'm not sure how that is impacting chrome, which should just be pure reflection.

If 100% reflection is anything but 100% reflection, then the fresnel addition/mixing isn't working right.

Either way, your chrome is broken right now... I'm pretty sure it worked perfectly fine here, so mess with the ambient values and see if that gets intensity back. It shouldn't but it'll be a good logic check to see if it has influence (which it shouldn't I don't think as it's pure envmap that should be seen)

Hmmmm

Dave

Yeah, time for another fiddle and trace through how the standard reflection shader is using fresnel values I guess. I had reflection < 1 because (as in the 0.8.10 screenshot) it was blooming up fine anyway.

Yep, that faked ambient stuff could be pretty powerful with some good logic applied!

I see 0.8.12 is using the values I suggested which really makes ambient only lighting conditions look really nice... I guess in time using the live envmap 'contrast' could help determine the 'contrast' in the falloff of this faked ambient occlusion... a really nice simple but effective tweak by using normals to fake AO... :D

Kudos to whoever added it!

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back