Racer support coming ...

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Racer support is coming ...

http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/news.aspx

So long ago I committed to making an export for Racer since it seems to be a popular free game.

Much as happened since then, mostly I have been waiting to complete the BTB features that have an impact on file formats. The number of these types of features has grown over time with the addition of SObjects and the yet-to-be-released Complex Objects. Now that they are implemented I can work on supporting another game format.

Racer is created by Ruud van Gaal and he's been answering dozens of questions in order to help me get the format right. There are some limitations such as blending not working, nor do the more complex shaders such as bump/spec mapping work. Because Racer works a bit differently to the other games currently supported by BTB, I'm not sure whether these advanced features will make it, without creating a version of BTB specific for Racer.

Like usual there's still more things to add which will come over the next few patches. I won't elaborate on them because right now I don't know what will be possible to support and I've yet to explore all the features Racer has to offer.

Great to see BTB expanding on more games and support non-commercial project. I would like to see BTB compatibility with F1 Challenge '99-'02. Okay, I know this game is a little old, but still the best F1 game yet on the market and it's also made by ISI so maybe would not be that hard to implement such feature ? Don't know... just a though. Personally, I like more F1 physics from this game than rFactor, but it's just a personal choice, so I suppose not everyone agree with that. Anyway, F1 challenge is still a great simulation.

Wow thats very nice, glad to see BTB is allways expanding.

I love "Live for speed" sim, hope some day I found a way to export my stages to LFS.

i try to export every of my work to every platform in HQ, so you will see my stages for Racer players, of course.

Thanks Brendon, I remember getting you and Ruud together but I was
afraid it wasn't going to happen.
I've made a few tracks with BTB and converted them to Racer through DX
but it's a tedious process since the objects wouldn't retain their textures
through the process.
I think you will find a great reception for your program from the community.

Thanks Again
Alex Forbin

Yes I am using the latest version.

Hi Brendon,
I wouldn't worry too much about getting the shaders perfect since they are
still in development, a simple texture that also uses one of the standard
cg shaders would work fine for most things. If you can think of anything you
need for Racer I've been working with it for around 8 years. It has a LOT of
flexibility.
One oddity is that it has trouble with collision detection when two surfaces
are close together (close being ~.4m).

Alex Forbin