Racer DOF exporter plugin for 3DS Max

There was a thread in RSC about my DOF exporter plugin for 3DS Max. I recently did some work on the plugin and improved a few things, so I decided to release a new version as well as create a new thread.

Changelog:
28-08-2010
– General code refactoring and small optimizations
– Fixed some UI bugs, where sometimes the plugin thinks user canceled the operation right
after export was clicked.
– It is now possible to cancel the current export process.
– Plugin verified to work in 3DS MAX 2010 32-bit under Windows 7 64-bit

08-05-2011
– Fixed bug: 64-bit Max2010 version exported a bad DOF where the material names were messed up
– Fixed a few minor bugs.
– Improved the exporter dialog progress bars to increment progress more precisely

Download:
Version 0.4 - includes 32-bit versions for Max7, Max8, Max9, Max2010 and 64-bit version for Max2010.

(Feel free to post mirrors, if Mediafire doesn't cut it for you)

EDIT: 08-01-2014 -- Updated download link

Last edited:
I tried with all the dlu's in your release. Both in "plugins" and "stdplugs".
They all died with a "Failed to initialize"..

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 554
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 507
Just tested in XP in Max 2010, and it appears to be working ok here with a quick test.

Will do a more thorough test tomorrow but so far so good!

I've been developing my track in Max 9 just for this tool, so glad it's updated to 2010 now, can start doing some work at lunch times at work to speed up finishing it off :D

Many thanks Some1!

Dave

all i can say is thankyou, this update works great, in respect to exporting, it however doesnt export textures (if you have used gmt import)...thats the gmt import script fault, not sure why....

but thanks for your hard work and efforts in this thing...it works great

I don't think I can make this thing work for GMax. It looks like there is no easy way to create additional plugins for it.

http://www.modtheater.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3493
yea, gmax isn't really like most other modeling apps. its basically a toned down 3dmax(wich i'm sure you all know by now). but the thing is, gmax has its import/export restricted. this hard coded so even if a plugin was made it wouldn't export(or a max script for that matter). the game packs are kind of like a TC mod for a game. and they include the import/export features needed.what'd you expect for free.... and the game packs do cost a ton to liscence. maybe not 10,000$ in all cases. i think they start near 4,000$. i found all this out from a guy who worked for discreet. met him in a bf42 modding forum. gmax was made for big companies, nut us lowly individuals. well, thats what i remeber. hope it helps.

I'd just 'get' 3DS Max elsewhere.

It's well worth learning how to use, and then buy it if you ever do commercial work with it, or get a job using it :D

Dave

errm, (insert disclaimer here) for the post above,

you can get a demo version of this app and then at least you can try it for 30 days just my 2 bits worth

Of course MAX is the best there is (I tried a 60 day(!) demo, and loved it).
But there are lots of freely available 3D apps, so there is, IMNSHO, no need
to "get" it, but thanks anyway.. ;)

Below is the list of freeware 3D apps that I have posted at the bottom of
my Racer pages (http://alge.anart.no/projects/racer/):

FREE 3D APPS
DeleD - free, open source - Very promising!
Blender - free, open source
Art of Illusion - free, open source
Wings3D - subdivision modeler
4D Blue - modeling, animation, and rendering suite
Zmodeler - free version
TrueSpace - free version
GMAX - free version (req. reg.)

2011 works fine as well. as i said, it doesnt like gmt's as in, i use a gmt import script to import some of my cars i'm working on, for some reason it dumps the textures when i export not sure why...but no matter

dof export works great otherwise
cheers

I have tried and it says "DLL <D:\3DS MAX\stdplugs\dofexp.dlu> is not made for this version of the program - not loading". I thought that max9 is not the same that max 2009. I also tried to put dofexp.dlu from max8 and max2010 folders and max showed the same error in both cases.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 76 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.8%