Racer Car Classifieds

I Second that.. not only did I get bored but utterly frustrated. I love the SIMBIN titles and
when I have time to spare I drive a couple of laps on IOM or Machwerk2013 (both being
heavily modified to suit my own taste of course). They just work, and driving is really
smooth. That is what I want for Racer.

Hm. Sounds like a good reason to brush the dust off my old 440 Barracuda..

That's the problem. We're not playing a complete game, 'back in the day' things were a bit simpler, if you just wanted to go for a drive you could. Now you've got compatibility issues, hardware issues and bugs in the game. Not everyone has the patience for it.

It doesn't stop me from taking out a few of Skybe's Renaults for a drive every now and again though :) (I like diesels)

I'm not so sure it's that bad.

I have an old GTX275 here, I bought it used for £135 about 3 years ago.

Before that I ran a GTX8800 or something and I ran the current versions of Racer on that fine too.

There is the ATI issue which is a pain I will agree... but well made user content can alleviate most of those issues from what I know.

Most of the bugs don't stop me and Cosmo having a good drive around either, with good handling content etc. If there were a few good tracks and cars and a server set up and it was all optimised for the latest version I'm sure we could have a real hoot on there and not see half the bugs/problems if we didn't go looking!

That isn't to say Racer is full of seemingly simple bugbears that could be fixed with 5 minutes in the source code.
Things like script scope in multiplayer situations (how hard to just make scripts in a car belong to that car only by default?)
Things like point to point track logic not being finished.
Things like having sounds being modular chunks we build together rather than being hard coded... easiest thing would be to just have the main audio chunk split (basically a duplicate in/out define with ALL sounds having in/out options if you wanted)

Millions of little tweaks that really are probably not even on Ruud's priority list I suppose.

But Free Racer is all about contributing just as much as it is taking it and enjoying it so there is a lot of stuff we can 'fix' too...

Like I said, with the right content (which takes time to get right), Cosmo and I have a real good time driving on some tracks! Better than any other driving sim/game imo for me at least, and the bugs and problems don't matter in those moments :)

So I say we can fix half these problems ourselves!

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back