RaceDepartment vs Wham! The 2019 Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Allington

Wham!ming into Spanish rocks
RACEDEPARTMENT vs WHAM! The 2019 Edition

I feel like I'm hearing Christmas music in the shops far too early again... It can only mean one thing - it's time for another rendition of RaceDepartment vs Wham! As previous players will know, the aim of the game is to make it to next year (2019) in your time zone without hearing any of the song Last Christmas by Wham!

This year the waters will be just as treacherous to navigate as every other year, seeing as the most successful Christmas single of all time (in Germany, at least) remains inexplicably popular, having been certified 2-times multi-platinum last Christmas!

Keep your wits about you, this song will be everywhere (I say, having managed to avoid a Whamming! so far). Give us your tales of daring escapes and amazing Whammings!

Rules:
  • You must make it to new year in your time zone, this is the end point.
  • The original Wham! version is the only one that eliminates you. If you hear a cover version or a remix, it doesn't count as an elimination.
  • When you hear the song, it counts as being Whammed! and you must post that you were eliminated and how.
  • No bait and trapping on this thread. Any links to the video not clearly marked on this thread mean an instant disqualification for the user linking.
  • You have until Wednesday 18th December to sign up - this is later than previous years, seeing as this thread's up a bit later than in it has done in previous years - but the competition starts from when you sign up.
  • If you are Whammed! before the entry deadline, you may try again if you wish, but you will be highlighted as such forever more.
  • Be honest. If you have been Whammed! don't hide it.
  • This thread is a safe zone. Listening to the song on this thread doesn't count as a Whamming. Use it to check if what you heard was the original version or not.
Tips:
  • Don't trust anyone. If you tell someone you are doing this and they aren't, they will try to Wham! you - do not trust your family, friends, spouses, co-workers, strangers, that guy you haven't spoken to since high school who happens to bump into you and, most importantly do not trust any other RD members! :confused:
  • If you do hear it start to play, you are out, so keep listening to see if it is the Wham! version or a cover, you could be lucky*.
  • Radio stations, TV channels and shops are all danger zones, be prepared to turn it off/leave/cover your ears and go "lalalalalalala" or "I'MMM DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS". :whistling:
  • Turn the volume off before clicking links, there is no penalty for seeing the video.
*However, don't do what I did in 2017 and assume that the next song in the playlist won't be the Wham! version - as they say, "assumption is the mother of all ****-ups!"

All in all, enjoy and don't get Whammed!

Last edited:
Signed-Up Users

Whammed! Users
  • ??/11 @Frank - Whammed! so long ago I'm surprised that anyone remembered!
  • 27/11 @Matthew Allington - As the host, I just wanted to demonstrate the game, I totally didn't just do some ill-advised festive shopping!
  • 28/11 @Bram Hengeveld - Once again being Whammed! before he even signed up.
  • ??/12 @Jimlaad43 - Listening to the chart show at this time of year... did you want to lose the game?!
  • 02/12 @Aidan Keranen - Would it have been worth taking the long way around?
  • 12/12 @Rui F. Martins - Here at RaceDepartment, we do not condone such dangerous driving habits.
  • 13/12 @Oscar Hardwick - Wasn't much of a party if you could hear the music.
  • 15/12 @Andrew - Last Christmas I gave you ETS2, the very next day you threw it away...
  • 16/12 @TTupsi - If you can't beat them, join them ...as they say!
  • 17/12 @Stig Bidstrup - Coming home to the girlfriend and tunes from the super hot stero combo ....it's almost a perfect scenario to walk into!
  • 17/12 @M D Gourley - Now this is the conspiracy we've all been waiting for (Welcome to the NHK)!
  • 18/12 @Paul Jeffrey - Ah, the Work Christmas Party, otherwise known as "have a seat whilst we Wham! you against your will"!
  • 22/12 @Jonathan Young - Hey Siri, please play "Last Christmas" by Wham!
  • 22/12 @Sasha Jednak - Are you Leeroy Jenkins?
  • 23/12 @Azabadaza - Pop goes the Wham!sel?
  • 23/12 @Matthew327 - Being Whammed has never looked so good!
  • 24/12 @Matthew Allington (again) - Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
  • 24/12 @Meff28s - Between you and me, we've established that mothers should not be allowed control of the music.
Total Whammed!: 18

Last edited:

Tips:
  • Don't trust anyone. If you tell someone you are doing this and they aren't, they will try to Wham! you - do not trust your family, friends, spouses, co-workers, strangers, that guy you haven't spoken to since high school who happens to bump into you and, most importantly do not trust any other RD members! :confused:
  • If you do hear it start to play, you are out, so keep listening to see if it is the Wham! version or a cover, you could be lucky*.
  • Radio stations, TV channels and shops are all danger zones, be prepared to turn it off/leave/cover your ears and go "lalalalalalala" or "I'MMM DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS". :whistling:
  • Turn the volume off before clicking links, there is no penalty for seeing the video.

All in all, enjoy and don't get Whammed!
Hi, I have a question about bolded part, let me explain first. I never participated in this game, but I thought about it for this year. So I was joking about it with my wife and told her "this will be easy, I don't remember I heard it last year in malls/shops/radio". To which she said: "Are you for real, it was all over the place". :roflmao: So long story short, I don't really register music when I'm out. What if song plays in full in a shop that I am in and I don't even realize? Do I need to "raise priority" of song listening to other things during this time?

I mean, at least I will have judge next to me, that will make sure that I hear it. :D

@Sasha Jednak what you do is to listen to the song in this thread over and over again until you start to recognise the faintest hint of Last Christmas on instinct :p

Now for the serious reply - if nobody (including yourself) there at the time realises that you're listening to Wham!, then I say you're still in the game :)

Situation in France is different as many many shops only play french classic pop music. However, last year I've been Whammed! at work when I really thought it would never happen to me ^^
Anyway, I'm in !

I'm out and it's not even December! :cry:

I was shopping for festive accessories for my model railway layout and I got Wham!rolled by a link - those responsible had made a YouTube video showing off one of these accessories and used Last Christmas as the background music.

I'm the host yet I'm the first victim - the shame!! :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 105 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%