RaceDepartment virtual Isle of Man Time Trials.

Discussion in 'TT Isle of Man - The Game' started by Andy_J, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Andy_J

Andy_J
    PC Veteran Gamer and Biker. Premium

Ratings:
    +3,485
    [​IMG]
    I was wondering if we can set up a virtual Isle of Man TT competition. I don't know how it would work except for uploading the actual video of your fastest time for all to see.
    I would have different classes. I would only use 1st person view as per real life and that makes it harder than using a 3rd person view. Obviously rider aids would have to be sorted too.

But if everyone who wanted to compete rode to the same rules it could be fantastic. Even watching someones lap from the screen view would be great.
    For me the rules would be as follows:
    1. 1st person view only
    2. No track guide/corner markers
    3. Medium rider aids allowed, eg: joint brakes and traction control, anti wheelie allowed as per real bikes.
    4. Obviously different bike classes like superstock, superbike 600's etc.

What do people think about this? Is it possible? Anyone interested on the staff side in organising something like this?
    Cheers
    Andy

• Like Like x 3
  2. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    @Kenny Paton you up for organising it in your semi retirement mate? :whistling:;):)

3. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,865
    If senior staff approve I would be happy to, and there is a MP element in the game as well. I'm assuming you mean the pc version?

4. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    There is for only 8 people but thats for racing, not time trial. Yes PC version.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  5. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,865
    Yes time trial would be the main thing and
    I would think it would run in a similar way to the rally clubs but the odd get together for some fun and TS banter would help cement a club atmosphere.

6. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    [​IMG] and agree.....[​IMG]

7. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,877
    Why would it have to be for PC only? Couldn't a cross-platform TT competition be organised?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    I don't know Peter. If it could be cross platform it would be good. But their would have to be rules like only cockpit/helmet cam and certain aids, no track or corner guides etc. A level playing field so to speak. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,877
    Totally agree with that. That's how I roll in car racing although it would be a totally new thing on a bike lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BECKS

BECKS

Ratings:
    +1

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon

Ratings:
    +51
    Anybody still interested in doing a competition?

12. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    I'm out. It's impossible to steward and stop people cheating. Some will say one thing and do another. That's the nature of it. If only the MP server could be set up so all doing the same, but alas it can't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BECKS

BECKS

Ratings:
    +1
    Only way would be everyone live streaming to twitch in the same discord and having a time limit for the time trials.

14. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon

Ratings:
    +51
    wouldn't a video like this be good enough to prove what settings are used?

this is just an example. a legit submission would have to show the entire lap.

• Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    I suppose it would work to record helmet cam during a race and upload a full lap. But how do we know that is you riding? :whistling: Your best mate could have done it for you who is better.;)

Any how I am still not interested in competition in this game any more, I just do the TT for my own enjoyment and I tend to have a bit more self preservation when riding due to me being a real life biker I suppose. I ride the bikes in game like I would in real life, with a sense that a crash might hurt me. I can't help it.:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,865
    I think this genuinely a sp game at heart, of course every game nowadays feels the need to include a MP element. I imagine that real bikers like you @Andy_J will only want to test themselves against the real life times and that is where the challenge lies.
    Fortunately the games provides fun for us fearties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +49
    You could rig up a camera to record you recording your lap and put them side-by-side in the YouTube video. But then what happens if it’s your fast mate wearing a mask of your face, pretending to ride as you?! We’ll need DNA testing.

I joke, but I can’t help but feel you’re taking this a little too seriously. A streamed video to show the aids and the use of helmet cam would surely be enough, and mean us console plebeians can participate too.

18. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Not worth the hassle.

19. s00zster

s00zster

Ratings:
    +11
    I remember this was done on the GTPlanet forums every time a new version of Gran Turismo came out. Just a leaderboard with people's times on for a specific track (I think it changed weekly), and we just took each other's word for it because it was a community and a bit of fun.

Although with GT, it was smaller tracks so it was easier to tell when someone had unnatural gains on their time, but we were able to upload our replays as proof. We can do that with screen capture tools, as mentioned above.

Personally, I wish it was possible for us to arrange a time where we could all join in a multiplayer session. I went into a random 1 lap around Snaefell the other night against some random guy from Italy. It was enjoyable and I didn't suffer from any lag or other issues.

Although I'm forgetting we're all on different platforms aren't we? I'm on PC. My idea was to stick all our IDs in a thread, we all add each other on Steam, and then arrange a specific weekly time for us to take part in a full blown 4 or 6 lap TT. But apparently it's an 8 player limit? Hmm.

20. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +49
    Yeah the multiplayer scene on Xbox is very good. I get a game or two in most evenings, usually 6-8 riders in a session. If you want to ride in off peak hours though it’s a nightmare. But 8pm-10.30pm you have no issue finding a game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.