EU * RaceDepartment Setup Academy - Fri 06Jul18 *

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by Ross Garland, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    R3E & AMS Club Manager Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,460
    #RD Setup Academy.jpg
    Want to learn all about setting up your (sim) car for best handling and performance? Look no further, this new academy could be for you!

What is toe and camber? What difference do hard or soft springs make? Why does my car feel like a boat with no rudder? Why do I do the twist every time I touch the throttle? Does anybody actually know what a differential is and what the hell it does?!

If you've been asking these kinds of questions then you've come to the right place. Welcome to the RaceDepartment Setup Academy! Here you will learn the answer to the above mysteries and more. Instead of downloading setups from others and hoping they work for you, you will be learning how to make setups for yourself. We will help you to understand your car's behaviour and determine what to tweak and how, in order to bring it more in line with your personal driving style.

The RD Setup Academy is open to all premium members. The sessions will last 90 minutes and will be run on a monthly basis. Our resident setup guru @Calvyn White will be your host, taking you through the finer points of car setups in a simple and easy to understand manner. Places are limited so be sure to book your spot!

Note that due to the nature of this event, TeamSpeak is absolutely mandatory!
    The server password will be sent to participants via PM on the day of the event.

Friday 06/07/18
    Server Name:
    RaceDepartment.com Setup Academy
    Cars: Silhouette Series, FR 3, Aquila CR1 GT, P1 Prototype
    Track: Hockenheimring - GP
    Time: 19:00 GMT (90 minutes)
    1. Martin Fiala
    2. Mr. Plow
    3. NL-Jos
    4. Lars Hansen
    5. Ranj1977
    6. Free slot
    7. Free slot
    8. Free slot

UTP#1

2. Calvyn White

Calvyn White
    Calv Killmore Premium

Ratings:
    +1,297
    If anybody confirm that they've received a post regarding the event and password etc that would be appreciated.
    I know I haven't received mine and I've been unable to get in touch with Ross.
    And because of this I feel the event may be cancelled.:( but I'm not sure.

3. Andrew

Andrew
    Out of my mind ! Back in five minutes. Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Calvyn White

Calvyn White
    Calv Killmore Premium

Ratings:
    +1,297
  5. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +3,460
    Hey guys! Sorry I didn't manage to get the PM sent this time around. But we're all good and the event is on. The server is already up and running and the password is the same as usual for our club events. You will find a dedicated Academy chat channel on TS within the R3E channel.

See you there guys!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  6. Andrew

Andrew
    Out of my mind ! Back in five minutes. Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,020
    I know that. I've just tagged him, so that he can answer your post. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Calvyn White

Calvyn White
    Calv Killmore Premium

Ratings:
    +1,297
    It was the question mark made me think that you are asking.:)

• Love Love x 1
  8. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,501
    Funny thing with the setup academy yesterday - I've been thinking long and hard about which car to pick, and then decided I've probably been having the most problems with the Silhouette cars, so I picked one of those...and as soon as I went on track, I found out it I actually quite like the default Hockenheim setup :D

Another funny thing for me was that I basically went about setting my cars the completely opposite way :) I always adjust first things Calvyn mentioned he rarely touches, and I rarely touch the stuff Calvyn pointed out as the most important he starts with :) I guess that might explain a few things :) So even from this perspective, it was quite interesting.

So again, thank you.

As a side note, I did indeed record the entire session yesterday. As always, I have the TS channel separated on a different audio track from the game (and my own mic on yet another one, though that one was barely used ;) ), so I can easily edit it. I will (as time allows - no ETAs) edit out the dead air and stuff like that (and my driving ;) ) and when I have some sort of edited version ready, I'll get back to you (provided there's interest, of course).

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +3,460
    Definitely! I did record the whole session but I'm simply not going to have the time to edit it for a while yet. We'll see who gets there first. Hopefully you, because yours will probably end up much better than mine! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  10. stefCr

stefCr

Ratings:
    +0
    is premium needed?

11. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +4,955
    Yes, but the academy is closed just now.

12. Yetch

Yetch
    GooseCreature Premium

Ratings:
    +350
    Great idea chaps, just wish it wasn't a Friday :( Have a few chaps around every week (Married mans sanctuary), costs me a fortune in tea & munchies. Will have far too much distraction to attend. Enjoy!
    Rate my mates are dropping dead should be able to make it next year! :D If repeated of course.

13. Calvyn White

Calvyn White
    Calv Killmore Premium

Ratings:
    +1,297
    My opinion on this is in short- form. Total lack of communication, cooperation and understanding basically been told to go f*** myself. Without it being said or anything being said to me whatsoever it just died for no apparent reason that I know of. Which I find inexcusable and unforgivable.
    I say thank you for the students that took the time to take the course in understanding in how to set up your car for raceroom . I hope I made you will go a little faster.:)

P.s. I strongly recommend closing this thread and all relevant threads to the race room setup academy if any questions are asked of me in any shape or form I will give and only give my honest opinion and I feel for some individuals they will not want to hear it. I only have one thing to state further I have been poorly treated for reasons I do not know as nothing has been said to me as I have stated earlier. I had tried my best to improve club atmosphere and people's capabilities of setting up their car of choice. But only to be ignored and treated with contempt with the suggestions of improvement. And being insulted in such a manner I do not wish to continue but I can only say sorry for the ones that wish they had time and could have and want to take a little course in learning how, the simple way.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  14. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,501
    Not sure if it's a good idea to mention right now, but I'll just say that the recording of our session certainly took me a lot longer to edit than I would've liked, but it's been done for a while now, though I won't make it publicly available without a consent from both Calvyn and RD staff, which I'm sure anyone interested in it will understand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.