RaceDepartment Review: Fanatec CSL Elite Loadcell Pedals

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceDepartment take the Fanatec CSL Elite Loadcell pedal set on a long term review.

Over the next few weeks and months you can expect quite a few more hardware reviews here at RaceDepartment, where we will be trying a wide variety of different sim racing equipment and giving you our honest opinion on how they stack up from a sim racer perspective.

If you are looking for us to take them apart and review the quality and materials of the individual parts, then you are probably going to be disappointed. The aim of our reviews will be to try and give you a clear, honest and fair opinion of the products in question, from quality, feel and performance right down to value for money.

I can clearly remember when I started out in sim racing and found the whole hardware scene somewhat overwhelming - with plenty of contradictory information available (or none at all in some cases), and this is what has inspired us to pick up the baton and hopefully give you a bit of entertainment, whilst at the same time shining a light on the good, and bad, features of a wide variety of different products - from entry level to high end, we've got quite a bit to get through already!

First of our new series will be the Fanatec CSL Elite Loadcell Pedals. We've got the three pedal set strapped to the rig for these tests, with a loadcell brake, and we've been running them for quite a long time in various different sims to give a solid overall picture on how they perform in competitive racing environments.

I sincerely hope you find the review both enjoyable and informative, and I'm looking forward to bringing you plenty more of this type of thing into 2019 and beyond!

Like what we do here at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I sincerely hope you find the review both enjoyable and informative, and I'm looking forward to bringing you plenty more of this type of thing into 2019 and beyond!
Nice review, and although I am more than happy with my ECCI Trackstar 6000 pedals for the last 8 years I do like to keep up with the latest Sim racing hardware, just in case there's something that appeals.
...nice foot work on the pedals Mr Jeffery:)

Upvote 0
Word to the wise for those watching...

For some strange reason I keep calling them the "Clubsport Elite Loadcell Pedals". No idea why, because they are called CSL Elite.. damn me and my stupid mouth! :D

Upvote 0
Despite your above mentioned minor 'brush your mouth' little mistake this review was fun to watch and above all an informative review. Worth watching and looking forward to your next hardware review.

As also mentioned in the YT comments --> This pedals set with LC brake has a 16 bit resolution. It is best to connect directly to a PC USB port (if available). Oherwise via a Fanatec wheelbase and if you connect to a console it is mandatoryto connect via wheelbase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm on my second year with these, and had to replace two potentiometers, since it's plastic gears grind against the metal gears of the pedals. It's also awkward to heal-toe with these, I wish there was a full-height throttle pedal option. Still a good price for a load-cell.

Upvote 0
This pedals set with LC brake has a 16 bit resolution. It is best to connect directly to a PC USB port (if available). Oherwise via a Fanatec wheelbase and if you connect to a console it is mandatoryto connect via wheelbase.
Not that you will ever be able to tell the difference between a 16bit and a 12bit pedal resolution.

Upvote 0
they suck for heel and toe, pedals faces are flat on the same plane, they should've added a possibility to move the brake pedal or gas pedal back or front and then they would've been the best pedals for its price.
Personally I love them but if I'd buy them I would mount them separately from that base which only allows one axis movement.

Upvote 0
i havfe these, i hope fanatec fired the guy who designed the mounting, theya re awful to mount with them front holes, all it would have taken was a hole that went all the way through the top, and a small cap to cover it after

Upvote 0
Yeah.and decent tool less fasteners.

Like how much would wingnuts cost them :barefoot:

nut-types-of-wing-nuts.jpg

Upvote 0
Very good review for sure! Been thinking of getting these pedals for some time to replace my G27 GTEYE modded pedals. Also have CSP V1's however they have never really worked so well on the throttle & brake "spiking" Assuming the CSL pedals are potentiometer except for the load cell?

Also looking forward to the CSL wheel review you mentioned.

Upvote 0
I've been considering to replace my T300 twin pedals for the T3PA pedals, but I might just get these CSL Elite pedals instead. Will probably just get the twin pedals first and then update to the load cell at a later date.
From the video it looks like the twin pedals will be a good upgrade from the Thrustmaster pedals. My main problem with the Thrustmasters is the springs are just not stiff enough.

Upvote 0
I bought these a couple of months ago when I upgraded to Fanatec from my ropey old G920.

The difference is huge. Nothing awkward to set up, excellent feel, and I’m so much more consistent with braking now. Wholly recommended.

The load cell brake is just so much more precise.

Upvote 0
I've been considering to replace my T300 twin pedals for the T3PA pedals, but I might just get these CSL Elite pedals instead. Will probably just get the twin pedals first and then update to the load cell at a later date.
From the video it looks like the twin pedals will be a good upgrade from the Thrustmaster pedals. My main problem with the Thrustmasters is the springs are just not stiff enough.
That would be a smart move imho: I made directly the jump from the T300 twin pedals to the CSL Elite 3 pedals set with LC, and like Paul the first thing I noticed was the much better accelerator pedal! That was already giving me a much better control: the TM pedals felt a lot more on or off, with the Fanatec you can modulate much better (both accelerating or lifting off).
I didn't try myself but I would think the non-LC brake pedal would already be an improvement also. (But ultimately the LC is really an another level! ;))

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing