RaceDepartment Rally Championship - Season 3 Draft Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Rick in that we should use realistic damage but I think that if you retire from a stage you should receive a penalty for each stage missed up to a designated mid event service where you can rejoin (Super Rally). Maybe you get given the slowest stage time plus 5 to 10 minutes for each stage missed?

Am I correct in believing that in the RD Rally Championship rounds that the service is after every four stages? Maybe we could designate a mid rally service (like end of day in real life) and anyone can rejoin after this service (Day Two super rally rule if you will) but if you crash out again after this you can only get the derived slowest time plus penalties like it would be in real life? This is how we do it in the Targa Championship so you can at least rejoin and keep rallying after each day but there are severe time penalties for each stage you miss.

Cheers Al

There is probably little point in me offering more comments here, but I'll give it one more try.
Purely my opinions, just ignore as you see fit.

I'm still getting mixed messages about what the aims of this Championship are. On one hand we want ultimate realism and severe penalties, but then we say we want to encourage more drivers to join, especially newer drivers (eg. "I'd rather lose one alien than lose 10 normal drivers" ).
I'm all for realism, BUT, if we go overboard in the pursuit of extreme penalties, it may well result in deterring the "normal" drivers from participating.

This is especially so if you design the rules in a way that basically says "if you make one mistake and get a DNF, you should quit the Rally at that point". We already have a points system that heavily penalises a DNF, because basically if you get one DNF, you are highly unlikely to get a point. Fair enough, but at least drivers are encouraged to continue in the Rally to see how their later Stage times compare to others (maybe even get a Stage win). This may at least help to give drivers some enjoyment and desire to continue the Rally.
Having a rule that says says a DNF means you forfeit the entire Rally is a huge deterrent and enjoyment killer. (Even in real Rallys, mechanics can often repair damage and drivers can re-join the Rally).

Realistic Damage, Cumulative Damage, and the current RSRBR built in rules are pretty damned tough and realistic enough as it is, do we really need to go even further, by imposing additional manually manipulated rules, and risk limiting the numbers?

So, basically you need to decide which of the goals is the most important. I suspect that there is a reasonable compromise balance that satisfies those wanting high realism, but doesn't limit the Series to only the super hard core enthusiasts.

BTW, just to clear up any thought that I might be looking for personal advantage, the extremely severe penalties would highly likely favour my cleaner style of driving, but I'm always trying to consider the newer guys or those who join for fun.

As for computer issues and disconnections Warren, we can't do anything about that and I don't think we should be worrying about them. This has to be seen as any mechanical retirement in real life motorsport. I think people are seeing the rally championship as different to other leagues. If you are in the middle of a circut race and you loose your connection or have a computer issue you are out of the race, what do other leagues do about this problem?

Yep, other on-line Racing sims are different and a disconnect during the race results in a DNF for that Race (although you can re-enter during qualy, or many on-line races are two race format and you can re-join for Race 2 in the event).
The difference here though is that we CAN allow people to rejoin after the disconnected stage, they can't. We are suggesting a rule to prevent them re-joining (or at least discourage it).
I think that is harsh, based on my comments above.

I'll happily live with whatever rules the RDRC Staff wish to use, but we need to decide what the aims are and be consistent to that aim.

I'll happily live with whatever rules the RDRC Staff wish to use, but we need to decide what the aims are and be consistent to that aim.

Yes, me too. It was just an idea I was thinking about and I want to share with you, but we can keep the rules like in this season.

Rick, did you have feedback from the drivers who quit the championship ?

BTW, just to clear up any thought that I might be looking for personal advantage, the extremely severe penalties would highly likely favour my cleaner style of driving, but I'm always trying to consider the newer guys or those who join for fun.

Same think for me, my idea was not to gave me more advantages because I think that severe penalties will gave me more advantages.

I'm new to this forum, RBR and these Rallies. In real life, if you go out on a stage then that's your rally over but this situation isn't real life, it's competitive but it should also be enjoyable. I don't know exactly what happens now but I would be more than happy to do a championship round where if I retired and therefore DNF a stage then I wouldn't score points in that round of the championship. However I would like to continue on the remaining stages in the round and have my times shown on the bottom of the results sheet so that I could compare my times with fellow competitors at the end of that round.

Pete

I don't know exactly what happens now but I would be more than happy to do a championship round where if I retired and therefore DNF a stage then I wouldn't score points in that round of the championship. However I would like to continue on the remaining stages in the round and have my times shown on the bottom of the results sheet so that I could compare my times with fellow competitors at the end of that round.

Pete

That's how this works now ;)

If you have a retired in a stage, you have a penalty given by the game and it is almost impossible to score points

I'm new to this forum, RBR and these Rallies. In real life, if you go out on a stage then that's your rally over but this situation isn't real life, it's competitive but it should also be enjoyable. I don't know exactly what happens now but I would be more than happy to do a championship round where if I retired and therefore DNF a stage then I wouldn't score points in that round of the championship. However I would like to continue on the remaining stages in the round and have my times shown on the bottom of the results sheet so that I could compare my times with fellow competitors at the end of that round.

Pete

afaik after you have retired/got disconnected you can always rejoin any available session BUT your time won't be counted anymore. That way you can still compare your time with the others.

I'm totally agree with Warren.

The actual system seems to be good for me, I think it is a good balanced between the simulation and the enjoyable game.
I have test it in the third round with one mistakes = one DNF (in reduced damaged where I just hit a tree at 40-50 km/h, maybe I'm unlucky). I have done my best for finishing the round with the target to try to finish in top 10 but only 16th.
So, no point but my first stage win and the opportunity to show my best.

Now, I'm opened mind about some change in the rules if it is for having more battle and a best challenge for all competitor (like I can understand about all the class).

I'm not sure it is really necessary to changed this part (realistic or reduced damaged with more penality), RBR is already really difficult like this (that's why it is so recognized).

The question is now what is the aim of the staff for the next season (more driver, more competition, trying to stop the winning of my teammate) ?

Ok, I may have confused things with my last post so i'll try and be clear here.

First of all, we are discussing a change that DIDN'T HAPPEN. Funny in one respect but a little silly in another, lol.

I'm still getting mixed messages about what the aims of this Championship are. On one hand we want ultimate realism and severe penalties, but then we say we want to encourage more drivers to join, especially newer drivers (eg. "I'd rather lose one alien than lose 10 normal drivers" ).
I'm all for realism, BUT, if we go overboard in the pursuit of extreme penalties, it may well result in deterring the "normal" drivers from participating.

We are trying to have both these things, yes. It is not a mixed message, it is the balancing act we are trying to get right. If we make it very easy for those coming in for the first time to be fast, then would it be challenging enough for the drivers with experience to keep them interested? Both are equally as important.

The team CONSIDERED having more extream penalties but it was thought that it would discourage new comers too much and would make life difficult for the score keepers. We decided to stay with the current system (reduced damage/RSRBR stage penalties only) as it seams to offer to best mix of making it difficult enough to be challenging for those that are fast and clean but not TOO hard for those learning. If anyone can come up with a better idea please let us know, its the best we have right now.

This is especially so if you design the rules in a way that basically says "if you make one mistake and get a DNF, you should quit the Rally at that point". We already have a points system that heavily penalises a DNF, because basically if you get one DNF, you are highly unlikely to get a point. Fair enough, but at least drivers are encouraged to continue in the Rally to see how their later Stage times compare to others (maybe even get a Stage win). This may at least help to give drivers some enjoyment and desire to continue the Rally.
Having a rule that says says a DNF means you forfeit the entire Rally is a huge deterrent and enjoyment killer. (Even in real Rallys, mechanics can often repair damage and drivers can re-join the Rally).

Ok, here is where my "hardcore" approach seams to be at odds with others. Maybe if I explain the reasons behind my thoughts a little better it will become clearer. I think making the penalties harder and introducing realistic damage would INCREASE the likelyhood that a driver would try and finish an event instead of just driving like a mad man and HOPING they finish. What is more fun, driving at 90%, finishing and scoring points while you learn and develop or driving at 110% and crashing every second corner?

I know what I would prefer and I believe it is the best way to learn. I think that SHOULD encourage more drivers and help them to become faster and enjoy the game more in the long term but.........as I said before, i understand not everyone argees and that is why we have made the rules less harsh than ABSOLUTE realistic. This is the balancing act we are working with.

As a side note, The FIA is currntly looking at scraping the super rally rules in the WRC. Personally i have never liked them for the following reason an it is why i don't want to encourage it in our championship as well.

As an example, in the last round this season, Jakub (sorry to use you mate but you make the best argument here:wink:) retired on SS2, if he had have then not retired from 2 more stages he would have still finished 7th, in front of 10 other drivers that didn't make a mistake. We are then penalising 10 drivers for what reason? It is why I also mentioned the idea of offering extra points to grade 3 & 4 drivers for each stage they finish as an incentive to keep driving and learning.

Yep, other on-line Racing sims are different and a disconnect during the race results in a DNF for that Race (although you can re-enter during qualy, or many on-line races are two race format and you can re-join for Race 2 in the event).
The difference here though is that we CAN allow people to rejoin after the disconnected stage, they can't. We are suggesting a rule to prevent them re-joining (or at least discourage it).
I think that is harsh, based on my comments above.

Running 2 "heats" or legs on different days was also discused but was thought to be to difficult to maintain from both the scoring side and the drivers side.

If we use accumulating damage then I don't think it is possible (I could be wrong) to make it possible to rejoin if you are disconnected. But if we could it rasies another issue. What if a driver that is having a really good rally crashes once during ss8 (example), it doesn't even have to be a retirement, it could just put him behind his rival. He can then claim his connection dropped out or had a system failure and we would let him restart the rally and have a second chance to win? Even if the driver is being honest, no-one can be sure and it can cause arguments and other drivers to leave feeling the championship isn't fair. Again, if you have an idea of how to solve both of these issues then let us know.

I said at the start here that BOTH making it difficult for the fast guys and not too hard and encouraging those learning are important. Neither is more important than the other. I think the rules as we wrote them give the balance of doing that. But if you can give any suggestions we are MORE than willing to listen.

Thank you also to Sebastien, Ludovic, Pete and Terri. I would have included your quotes in this but I don't know how to get them from more than one in a reply;)

Hi,
I'm reading through the draft rules for Season 3 and it appears that whatever my background I would be a Grade 4 driver limited to Rookie and Lights Trophy classes. I don't want to have an unfair advantage over other drivers new these Championships but I would also appreciate not being thrown in at the deep end and have to compete on equal terms with your top flight drivers.

I would be more than happy for the event organizers to slot me in at the level they saw fit. I would be more than happy to provide seeding information (which I will do below) just as an exercise for members to say where they think I should start in the Championship. Obviously before this championship starts my experiences will have changed.

Anyway, here goes:

I'm 67 years old and have competed in Restricted and National Rallies in the UK as a driver and co-driver and also as an official on the organising side of things. In December 2010 I decided that I wanted to get back to doing some rally driving so I bought an Xbox and Dirt2 and competed in the Rally Championships organized on the CM forums. I won an award for being the most improved driver in the final series and I would say that I finished in the middle of the field as far my overall performance went. Different cars were used in the Championship and there weren't any car classes but I was near the top for some of the cars that I drove. I haven't had any experience with RBR as I've only just installed it.

I do want to compete and be competitive and also enjoy what I'm doing. I wouldn't call myself a Rookie but by the same token I wouldn't suggest that I'm a Grade 1 Driver. Given the above, where you think I should really start the Championship?

Does it need some optional pre-event seeding system for drivers?

Pete

And here is my second clarification post, hopefuly lol.

There is a pre-event/season seeding system, it uses the RallyClub events and this seasons RDRC. It is possible for a driver new to RaceDepartment to be driving in Grade 1 and in a WRC08 car very quickly.

1/ A driver runs in 3 RallyClub events here, there are I think 6 more before Season 3 starts. They become grade 3 at this point. In their first RDRC they run an S2000 or N4 car and finish in the top 10 outright. For their second RDRC event they can then be moved to grade 1 and drive a WRC08 car.

or

2/ Win 3 Rally club events (again there are 6 chances before the season starts) and you become Grade 1.

These 2 methods assume the driver is very fast in the first place.

or

3/ Enter the RDRC in Season 2 for any of the last 3 rounds and finish in the top 10 outright JUST ONCE. You can drive either WRC or N4/S2000 this season. You are grade 1 now for season 3.

4/ Drive in 3 rallies. You move to Grade 3 here and can drive an S2000/N4 car. You then finish among the top 10 grade 2 drivers in the next event and you become grade 2 where you can drive an outright 2 car. Finish in the top 10 outright and there you are, Grade 1 again.

We have had a number of drivers new to RaceDepartment and RBR arrive thinking they are fast, choosing a WRC car and finishing a long way down the order and leaving because they don't want to or feel embarissed to move back to group N cars. Making them move through this system, they can see how fast they really are and move up as they progress. It is hoped this system will allow for drivers to learn as they go and not have to compete with the "aliens" before they are ready. If someone can prove they are fast enough, and I think the above ideas show that it really isn't that hard to move up, it won't be long untill they are winning rallies.

I hope this clears up some things for some people.

On another note: as a guide for new drivers. If you can win the championship on the hardest level in the origial RBR game then you should be fast enough to compete with the future grade 2 drivers. The Grade 1 guys a a lot faster than that.

Sooooooo just to help me get caught up:

We are discussing, correct me if I have this wrong, that we have a few (was it 20%??) rounds of the c'ship that we do go up to full real.

This should surely be fine for all, as it is not always full real, only selected rounds.

I for one, seldom drove full real until here, and it penalises me big stlye as im so untidy(which is suuuuurely the point), but I definately see it as spicing things up and helping me get better, rather than anything negative.

This also offers no extra work to those who volunteer their time free of charge so we can have fun.

I think many are either forgeting or are loosing the point that it was only proposed for limted rounds of full real.

The issuses I see being discussed here are now how to keep the noobs (or even those who only just drive for fun very occasionally due to life commitments etc) from not being put off, as well as catering for all the skill levels up to 'blow-your-pants-off' Seb style. That is too complex an ask for just one sessions settings

If we are actually looking to address such a complicated task on a constant round basis, which appears to be what is now being discussed then the only answer would be that the realism should go up a notch for each class:
Eg:
safe for rookie session
reduced for group n etc session
and full real for a wrc session

SO as you get better you have to get safer, starting of as a rookie in a 'safe' slow car by finally winning in the fastest cars at 100% realism

This is then a multiple championship with the admins living free of charge 24/7 at their polluters just to keep it going. For sure the most important thing in the c'ship is the admins.

So I for one say, yup, I am more than happy to have a few rounds at full real,

and who knows the 'rookies' might just win.

jc

(In my rookie RdRBR year =o)

I am absolutely fine with the way things work now, it's a superb series with a great team of admins and some fine players in both classes: some 25 dedicated players and 50 odd occasional players. That, in comparison to other tournaments, is a fair result.
Why do people drop out? Because the internet is at best a medium for a three week timespan, anything beyond is not genuinely internet. Check out how many guys are signed on at RD (about 10,000) and how many players actually play for two to three months in any one of the dedicated championships (about 150?) Of the 9.850 others some will join a championship, find out they are not top five material after all and leave to pursue some other interest (poker, ego-shooters, flickr, you name it). The dedicated few are just that: FEW and I suppose no amount of rule fine-tuning will make their number grow.
At STC we now have the fifth (or sixth?) championship in more or less the same format and it's just fine.
That said, I will happily go along with any change whatsoever.

We were talking about changing to realistic for all rounds, but that will NOT happen for season 3. I am also reconsidering if it should be for season 4 , but that will be decided later, lol.

If we are actually looking to address such a complicated task on a constant round basis, which appears to be what is now being discussed then the only answer would be that the realism should go up a notch for each class:
Eg:
safe for rookie session
reduced for group n etc session
and full real for a wrc session

SO as you get better you have to get safer, starting of as a rookie in a 'safe' slow car by finally winning in the fastest cars at 100% realism

LOL, that would be perfect to me. But you are right that it would mean a MASSIVE amount of work for the team and each driver grade would have to run seperately. I even thought about having grade 3&4 run reduced as we do now, and grade 1 & 2 run realistic, but even that would mean 24 sessions per round instead of the already 12. We would need at least one more admin guys to work as hard as Senad does with session creation and I already think he does a special job.

Eckhart, you are also right. But if we can find a way to keep more drivers in the championship then it would be best. My thought is to try and give them the tools and rewards to help them improve so one day we can have LOTS drivers fighting for the top five. But as my dad used to tell me, "you can keep some poeple happy some of the time. But you can't keep ALL of the people happy ALL of the time" :wink:

If we use accumulating damage then I don't think it is possible (I could be wrong) to make it possible to rejoin if you are disconnected. But if we could it rasies another issue. What if a driver that is having a really good rally crashes once during ss8 (example), it doesn't even have to be a retirement, it could just put him behind his rival. He can then claim his connection dropped out or had a system failure and we would let him restart the rally and have a second chance to win? Even if the driver is being honest, no-one can be sure and it can cause arguments and other drivers to leave feeling the championship isn't fair. Again, if you have an idea of how to solve both of these issues then let us know.

Rick, just to clarify, I was mainly referring to the example where a driver starts the Stage, and gets dumped back to RSCenter before he finishes the Stage. If you recall, this has happened many times to drivers in Season 1 and Season 2 (even to you, Mlynky :wink:), and is more likely when using BTB Stages.
In these cases, the driver gets a DNF but can continue the Rally. That should be a severe enough penalty, but if we have a rule that says a DNF for a Stage means you retire from the entire Rally, then I repeat, I think that is harsh and will be a huge deterrent.

I realise that this rule hasn't been adopted yet, but I thought we were encouraging feedback on proposed options, and this option (if you retire from one stage then you retire from the entire rally) seems to be favoured by many here including some Staff (and you). All I did was to point out that this proposal might be harsh for someone who has a PC glitch. :confused:

As I have said, I'll live with whatever is decided, but I think the severity of the rules and penalties needs to be balanced with what is reasonable to allow some enjoyment, and not create admin headaches.

As for the "cheating" example quoted, the current game rules should already cover that, the driver gets a DNF and that will most likely mean no points. But if you have to introduce special rejoin rules because of an introduced and overly severe penalty system, then you just open pandoras box for admin nightmares. That is why I oppose manual manipulation of in-game rules. So far, I haven't seen any signs of anyone trying to "cheat" that way and would not expect to see such behaviour here anyway.

Again, if you have an idea of how to solve both of these issues then let us know.

The best idea I can offer to solve it would be to not adopt the "retire once - retire the entire rally" proposal. :wink:

We are discussing, correct me if I have this wrong, that we have a few (was it 20%??) rounds of the c'ship that we do go up to full real.

John, that proposal is what we are considering for the Rally Club Events, not the Championship Series. Even in the Club Rallys, we will decide on something more permanent only after we have tried some more extensive testing of Realistic Damage..

What to Expect from the Club Events and Rally Championship

:offtopic: I just just wondering if a thread on what to expect from the Club Events and the Rally Championship might be help to new people looking to join us.

Also, would it be any help if we had our own Rally School or a number of the top drivers who were willing to help newcomers develop their driving skills. I know in Dirt2 it was possible to run a stage where two drivers could start the stage together and the faster driver run behind the other driver and give them tips.

Just some thoughts,

Pete

Edit: Just came across this thread - I may have spoken too soon? http://www.racedepartment.com/rbr-mods/49690-download-rbr-training-day-plugin-2-7-a.html

Thanks for the clarification warren. I was starting to get confused with all the sites/pages I scan with limited time on a daily basis. I have only ever driven and not co-piloted, this then reflects my limited mental capacity... =0)

Anywhoo, as a system where we have limited realism on club and full real on c'ship, then im still happy with that, again, surely this allows anyone to compete at their desired level. With the club feeding into the c'ship. Sounds good to me.

Good luck with the decisions chaps!

jc

(I am away to stand about in a rubber suit at the local beach.)

Ok, we have had three weeks of discusion but the only thing we have been asked for has been clarifications of the rules, noone has any suggestions on things they think NEED to be changed?

Cool!!!

I will post the rules formally this weekend unless anyone else brings up something we need to address. Thanks for your help guys.

There will be a delay with posting the final rules for Season 3. Further issues have been rasied and are being discussed by the team regarding the drivers grading system and car classes. Please continue with posting suggestions and thoughts on what you think should be in place for Season 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%