RaceDepartment Rally Championship - Season 3 Draft Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the Grades again, this won't happen (focus on Classes, not Grades classification). The only car class restricted to slower guys is Rookie (N3) and the top driver tier is stripped of any FWD cars, but that's it. No matter what grade you are you can still fight with your rival in N4 for instance, as pretty much anyone can drive it. You can also compete with him in A8 machinery (either strictly A8 or WRC sub-class), as top 2 grades allow using those cars.
This isn't rushed, you know :).
Thanks to your explanation I think my mind is slowly understanding the grade/class changed or completely understand now :D

Terri: About being worried that someones rivals will move and they won't. If they are as fast as the driver moving, then most likely they will be moving as well. We won't limit it to one driver in each class moving:wink:

With Lukasz explanation I think I already understand the Grade change rules, reviewing the conditions, grade 2-4 almost have the same class(except g4) and if ever a grade 4 driver has been promoted to grade 3 he still can drive his rookie/light trophy car to continue the battle with the others.

----

Sorry if I've been a slowpoke understanding the rule(grade changed), now I'm ok with it.

Thank you for understanding and patience on answering my inquiry:)

"Change 1 - Car classes

Rookie :- N3 car packs

Lights Trophy:- A6/A6K/R3 car packs

Production Cup:- N4/N4_S2000 car packs (excluding Skoda Octavia, Audi A3, Renault 5)

Outright 1:- A8/A8W99 to 02 car packs (excluding Audi A3, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 7, 8 and 9)

Outright 2 :-A8W07 & 08 car packs"

"Points System

Points tables will be run for Rookie, Lights Trophy, Pruduction Cup and Outright car classes as well as Grade 1, 2, 3 and 4 driver grades and Teams Championship."

One clarification for me please?
Will there be separate points allocations (separate class) for each of the 5 classes above? ie. top 10 in Outright 2 will score points in addition to the top 10 in Outright 1? Or will Outright 1 and Outright 2 be combined and only top 10 in Outright will score points? Does Outright 1 have a separate class championship to Outright 2?

Where would you start me ?

Hi,
I'm reading through the draft rules for Season 3 and it appears that whatever my background I would be a Grade 4 driver limited to Rookie and Lights Trophy classes. I don't want to have an unfair advantage over other drivers new these Championships but I would also appreciate not being thrown in at the deep end and have to compete on equal terms with your top flight drivers.

I would be more than happy for the event organizers to slot me in at the level they saw fit. I would be more than happy to provide seeding information (which I will do below) just as an exercise for members to say where they think I should start in the Championship. Obviously before this championship starts my experiences will have changed.

Anyway, here goes:

I'm 67 years old and have competed in Restricted and National Rallies in the UK as a driver and co-driver and also as an official on the organising side of things. In December 2010 I decided that I wanted to get back to doing some rally driving so I bought an Xbox and Dirt2 and competed in the Rally Championships organized on the CM forums. I won an award for being the most improved driver in the final series and I would say that I finished in the middle of the field as far my overall performance went. Different cars were used in the Championship and there weren't any car classes but I was near the top for some of the cars that I drove. I haven't had any experience with RBR as I've only just installed it.

I do want to compete and be competitive and also enjoy what I'm doing. I wouldn't call myself a Rookie but by the same token I wouldn't suggest that I'm a Grade 1 Driver. Given the above, where you think I should really start the Championship?

Does it need some optional pre-event seeding system for drivers?

Pete

Hi Pete, welcome to Rallying with Racedepartment. Great to see someone around my age here. :)

I'll let the Rally Championship Staff comment officially about the next Season, but a great place to start would be to join our Rally Club and join our Club Events. We schedule Rallys every week, so you would get to run with many of the Championship drivers in a less formal Rally. It would also give you a good introduction to RBR and the RSRBR2011 mod which is used for on-line Rallying.
Details re the Rally Club can be found here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/richard-burns-rally/

Also, you can join our Season 2 Championship, even though we are up to Round 6 next time, new drivers are free to join at anytime. Championship Rounds are held every 3 weeks.
Details for Season 2 can be found in this Forum.

Look forward to seeing you in our Rally Events as soon as possible.

Thanks for the welcome Warren - I will give the Club Events a run - need to get the basics under my belt first, think I'll do the RBR school first then dive into the Club Events. I'll get a proper look at the Club Rally link in the next couple of days, once I've got the system installed. Almost there, just a couple of bits to do :)

BTW - great tutorial on how to install everything

Pete

Hi,
I'm reading through the draft rules for Season 3 and it appears that whatever my background I would be a Grade 4 driver limited to Rookie and Lights Trophy classes. I don't want to have an unfair advantage over other drivers new these Championships but I would also appreciate not being thrown in at the deep end and have to compete on equal terms with your top flight drivers.

I would be more than happy for the event organizers to slot me in at the level they saw fit. I would be more than happy to provide seeding information (which I will do below) just as an exercise for members to say where they think I should start in the Championship. Obviously before this championship starts my experiences will have changed.

Anyway, here goes:

I'm 67 years old and have competed in Restricted and National Rallies in the UK as a driver and co-driver and also as an official on the organising side of things. In December 2010 I decided that I wanted to get back to doing some rally driving so I bought an Xbox and Dirt2 and competed in the Rally Championships organized on the CM forums. I won an award for being the most improved driver in the final series and I would say that I finished in the middle of the field as far my overall performance went. Different cars were used in the Championship and there weren't any car classes but I was near the top for some of the cars that I drove. I haven't had any experience with RBR as I've only just installed it.

I do want to compete and be competitive and also enjoy what I'm doing. I wouldn't call myself a Rookie but by the same token I wouldn't suggest that I'm a Grade 1 Driver. Given the above, where you think I should really start the Championship?

Does it need some optional pre-event seeding system for drivers?

Pete

Just run 3 RD rallies between now and season 3 and you will start in Grade 3. That gives you access to Production, which will be a very competitive class.

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm new here and don't want to step on any toes so please take this as only a suggestion and not a criticism of all the hard work already done by Rick and others.

My only comment on the proposed rules would be the class names are not intuitive. Why not rename them to match the FIA classes?

For example

WRC Academy R1:- N3 car packs

WRC Academy R2:- A6/A6K/R3 car packs

PWRC / SWRC:- N4/N4_S2000 car packs (excluding Skoda Octavia, Audi A3, Renault 5)

JWRC:- A8/A8W99 to 02 car packs (excluding Audi A3, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 7, 8 and 9)

WRC :-A8W07 & 08 car packs

The cars match the real life classes pretty well as selected already and there is a clear precedent as to what cars belong in which classes from the FIA.

I don't see why we shouldn't try and keep things as accurate as possible to the real world. Anyone who drives this sim obviously follows the World Championship so the class names are already known and intuitive.

You could even match exactly which cars are in which classes, why reinvent the wheel when an organisation namely the FIA with a lot more money and manpower than ours has already done the work for us in classifying the cars and class names?

Cheers Al

I understand your point Al, however I have tried to avoid using the names and such from the WRC. If we were to try and emulate the WRC there are a lot of rules that would need to be changed aswel.

I have never said this is the RDWRC, mainly because we simply don't have the stages for it, (but I live in hope that people are working on the ones i want:wink:).

One clarification for me please?
Will there be separate points allocations (separate class) for each of the 5 classes above? ie. top 10 in Outright 2 will score points in addition to the top 10 in Outright 1? Or will Outright 1 and Outright 2 be combined and only top 10 in Outright will score points? Does Outright 1 have a separate class championship to Outright 2?

Yoohoo!!! :ups: Did my question get lost? :confused:
I think I know the answer but would appreciate "official" confirmation. :)

According to the draft - it is going to be a separate classification for the ranks. Feel free to express an opinion about it :)

:thanks: That's what I thought. No problems with it, just the naming (and this bit "Points tables will be run for Rookie, Lights Trophy, Pruduction Cup and Outright car classes" ) was a bit misleading/unclear to me. :thumb:

Can I proposed something to increase the battle during each round. When someone is retired instead of having by default the time of the RSCenter, can I ask you if we can set to a retired driver the time of the best driver (in the same category) in the stage plus several minutes. For example 3 min should be good.

A good think will be that someone with a retired can try to fight again for the top 10.

But that allow people to make a mistake in the round and the main objective is to be clear. And more work for the admin, I supposed.

I don't know if it is a good idea, but maybe we can talk about it.

Can I proposed something to increase the battle during each round. When someone is retired instead of having by default the time of the RSCenter, can I ask you if we can set to a retired driver the time of the best driver (in the same category) in the stage plus several minutes. For example 3 min should be good.

A good think will be that someone with a retired can try to fight again for the top 10.

But that allow people to make a mistake in the round and the main objective is to be clear. And more work for the admin, I supposed.

I don't know if it is a good idea, but maybe we can talk about it.

Looks like a lot of extra work to me. Also, I believe Rick wants retirements to be more costly, and this is going in the opposite direction.

Personally I would rather see it the other way, retire from a stage = retire from the rally. Or at least retire from that stage and all stages until the next service area if you wanted some sort of super rally rules (as we only have one leg).

To me a big part of rally is to win you have to finish, and I don't like that you can destroy a car on one stage and come back the next like nothing ever happened.

Just one man's opinion of course.

Personally I would rather see it the other way, retire from a stage = retire from the rally.

This could be very harsh on someone who retires from a stage due to having a Computer issue or a disconnection.

Personally, I'd prefer that we stuck to whatever the software allows, manual intervention / altering of the results always causes more work.
Usually, one DNF usually means no points anyway.

Don't like it - as RSCenter already handles everything for you, you know exactly where you stand during the event.
This would just add unnecessary confusion to proceedings.

Yes but it is because you run in the EU3, where there is the most drivers, for the other drivers who are only 2-5 by session, they don't have this information. So you have to do your best to beat each session.

Personally I would rather see it the other way, retire from a stage = retire from the rally. Or at least retire from that stage and all stages until the next service area if you wanted some sort of super rally rules (as we only have one leg).

To me a big part of rally is to win you have to finish, and I don't like that you can destroy a car on one stage and come back the next like nothing ever happened.

Just one man's opinion of course.

I know that this could be similar to "normal" track, because if you became DNF, you can't continu, but you can also go to the pit to repair the damages.

This could be very harsh on someone who retires from a stage due to having a Computer issue or a disconnection.

Personally, I'd prefer that we stuck to whatever the software allows, manual intervention / altering of the results always causes more work.
Usually, one DNF usually means no points anyway.

Yes I think it is a good point that someone who failed can not scored, and that gave the opportunity to the other drivers to make a top 10 because of there regularity.

As Senad said before, we talked alot about retirments and the damage to use trying to find the right balance. Should we stay with the current rules, should we change the retired penalty to 30 mins per stage, should a driver be retired from an event if they retire from a stage and others.

Personally I would prefer we use realistic damage and if you retire from a stage you are retired from the event. It is possible at the moment that a driver can crash on every stage (on reduced damage) but only loose a small amount of time. Where a driver that dosen't make a mistake and dosen't take any risks can be beaten by them. Thats not fair to the driver that stays on the road. I have even propossed that for the grade 3 and 4 drivers, we offer an extra point for each stage they finish (still waiting on feedback on this). This will encourage drivers to focus on finishing rather than trying to be fastest eveywhere and don't worry about finishing. It was always called going for the "Rodney Marsh Award" when I was rallying in Australia (fastest until stumped - this will only mean something to Warren and maybe Damien but oh well, lol.)

I think it is important that we encourage people to learn to finish and build their speed rather than try to win each time thay drive. If someone wants to drive fast everywhere and find out at what point they crash them fine, but it should come with a penalty. You don't learn a stage trying to drive a broken car, but each time you finish you learn more. Some people think that means we should lower the challenge and make it easier, I am trying to improve the driving instead. Unfortunately not every one sees it this way so we have had to compromise or we risk loosing drivers or not getting more.

As for computer issues and disconnections Warren, we can't do anything about that and I don't think we should be worrying about them. This has to be seen as any mechanical retirement in real life motorsport. I think people are seeing the rally championship as different to other leagues. If you are in the middle of a circut race and you loose your connection or have a computer issue you are out of the race, what do other leagues do about this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%