RaceDepartment Needs You! A Call for Car Setups!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RD Needs You - A Call For Car Setups.jpg

RaceDepartment would like to ask our community members to submit their car setups for a variety of games to support those of us less technically minded.

If like me you are at a loss at how to create a half decent race setup in sim racing it can be a daunting experience trying to find the right balance between speed and endurance, or simply impossible to even get something bolted on to the car than makes even a small difference to your driving on track.

I know that many drivers both here at RD and sim racing in general find the world of custom car setups simply a mystery, and this could become a barrier for players who intend to enter into the awesome world of online racing. It sure did (and still does) for me personally.

I thought to myself that we are a pretty cool bunch of people here at RaceDepartment, so why not ask folks for some help? I'm sure amongst us we have a few people who know their way around a camber and anti roll bar who would be willing to spend a little time contributing to the greater good.

So my question to you all is a pretty simple one, but it could make a big difference to the experience of a large number of new and experienced sim racing drivers. Would you be willing to share some setups with our community and some tips on how to get the most from your virtual racing car?

If you have any tips or experiences you think could be valuable to share with our community members then we want to hear them! Please leave any advice and guidance in our comments section below!

If you have a setup you would like to share please post the setup in the relevant sub forum which I have listed below (with a description of car/track/type (quali or race etc):

Assetto Corsa
Automobilista
RaceRoom Racing Experience
rFactor 2
iRacing

If you wish to also post the setup in the comments section for discussion purposes then of course that is fine too, but please remember to post it in the relevant sub forum as stated above, otherwise over time this thread will get as newer news items take over the front page.

To help with sorting of setups and to make for easy access we will be developing and maintaining a setup directory for each of the games (please see Assetto Corsa example HERE (currently under update) ).

This is a great opportunity to help out your fellow sim racer and make a better experience for all of us. If we just have half the people who read this site daily post a setup we will literally have millions of new setups by the end of the month!!! Go on, RaceDepartment needs you!

Club Racing is pretty awesome here at RaceDepartment. We offer up a clean and fair racing experience across many of the popular racing simulations on PC and console. Our events, designed to provide a safe and enjoyable environment to play online are suitable for gamers of all experience and ability. You don't need to be an alien, in fact you don't need to have any experience at all! The only things we ask of our racing members is to have a current Premium membership and a willingness to have some fun out on track. If you haven't already taken the jump and tried out sim racing online at RD then you are missing out on some of the best fun you can have in sim racing! Be it fast or slow, experienced or rookie, we hope you will come on track and join us in our most awesome of hobbies.

To have a look at what events are available to race either check out the useful club racing widget on the left site of the front page, or have a look at our Events Calendar on the top menu bar.

Last edited:
Brilliant idea! :thumbsup: I know very little about setups, and a good setup from another RD member has often made the difference between me deciding to enter an event or not. Having a central list for each sim will be very helpful too. Great job guys! :cool:

Sorry guys, I really like the idea but...can't we have the setups in the download area?
Just look at AMS as example:

Hey man thanks for the comment :) Yup, that's exactly the plan! Upload the setup in the relevant games setup area with a description of what it's for and the appropriate staff member will update the sticky for that game (see AC example here) to catalogue the setups and keep it easy to search for what you want :)

Of course atm some of the forums don't have the stickied thread mentioned above, but we are working towards getting them set up to use. Of course any of the setups located within the forums will always be available to use and download.

If anyone wants to post the setup in these comments on this article as well as uploading to the appropriate forum in order to stimulate the conversation then that's fine too :) We just want to get the discussion going and get some nice and new setups uploaded for everyone to have a go with!

We know setups don't make the biggest difference in the world to your performance, in most cases improving your own driving and consistency will do that, but it does sometimes help the feeling of the car and it's a nice way for our collective skills and experiences to give something back to those who don't yet have the confidence or ability to create their own (like me!)

Ahh I've read your post again and now understand it better! Oooops :D

Yeah I see what you mean, however I'm not sure if it would then become too onerous trying to find the setup you want / need. However we will take this feedback into consideration and discuss it in the staff area with a view to looking at it in future updates.

Thanks man!

This is (again ;)) a great idea Paul! I'd be more on the downloader side tho, I have no clue how to make a setup…:whistling: I just started racing online in the past year, and I agree focusing first on driving and consistency seems much more useful for improving at first. But we have great people in the club races, there is always at least one willing to share a setup; and I have noticed lately that using them can help my lap times too. So what if those nice people sharing setups could take the habit to simply post them after the race in the sections you are pointing? It will have a broader audience than the race participants. @Chris just did it for AMS, he went through his setups from previous online races and he filled up pretty quickly the section! Thank you btw Chris, week done! :thumbsup:

I would also be interested in any guidance and tips to get going and try to setup my car myself. I'm trying to gather as many infos as I can and I'm slowly gaining some knowledge but tbh I still feel lost and unsure where to start! I know there are some guides online but they are more explaining what each adjustments do; I feel I would maybe need some general first first steps to get me going. I know it will take time, and I should also still focus mainly on my driving! :p

The problem with setups of expierience drivers is that many of those setups are tricky for beginner racers. Most of the competitive drivers race with setups which sets the car on the edge of grip and stability. If you good u can make good results with this kind of setup but if you a novice driver (like myself) you will find yourself struggling to handle a car.
It would be a great idea if those of you guys who have a knowledge of car setups to bring some basic, stable setups for less competitive drivers.

The problem with setups of expierience drivers is that many of those setups are tricky for beginner racers. Most of the competitive drivers race with setups which sets the car on the edge of grip and stability. If you good u can make good results with this kind of setup but if you a novice driver (like myself) you will find yourself struggling to handle a car.
It would be a great idea if those of you guys who have a knowledge of car setups to bring some basic, stable setups for less competitive drivers.
I think if you make the uploaded setups comment-ready it's no big deal. People will notice rather quickly if the setup is more for a pro or more for a beginner. The setup database i use for Project Cars is brilliant, and did help me a lot, if only for offline races. There you'll find both cases as well, and can see for yourself which setup you'll be able to control :)

Yeah I see what you mean, however I'm not sure if it would then become too onerous trying to find the setup you want / need. However we will take this feedback into consideration and discuss it in the staff area with a view to looking at it in future updates.

Thanks man!
IMO, too much clutter. The current system (like the AC forums) is great

Thanks man!

No prob mate, just to be more clear, the download page gives you the option to leave comments and talk about the file uploaded,by this way we will have all the infos, ideas, etc in the same place. About the way to list them easily...Setups will be already game sorted so you need only to have a precise title like: Ginetta, Imola setup by DaVeX and you are ok, maybe, lol

Great idea.

I entered the AMS section and I would suggest a different way to organize it: wouldn't it be better to group the setups by track? And in every track all the car setups listed...

Because finding each car and track combo the way it's now maybe is a little bit...difficult??

Great idea.

I entered the AMS section and I would suggest a different way to organize it: wouldn't it be better to group the setups by track? And in every track all the car setups listed...

Because finding each car and track combo the way it's now maybe is a little bit...difficult??

How will this work with tracks mods?

Was thinking about that last week because i wanted to go drifting in AC and spend most of the time trying to find a (decent) setup for that car on that track but ended it tweaking the car setup myself because i gave up. TBH sometimes having a car setup (for race/time attack...etc) without spending endless hours to tweak the car(s) would be nice.
It would be great to divide the setups by car category or even better the car(s) model year(s) regarless of car category) and inside each thread the car(s) setup and track(s) are mentioned (screenshot/text and maybe the fastest lap time(?)...or overkill the last one?
Is it possible to import a setup in any of these games? Guess u know where i am going with that....

since i remember my setups are never working so well, numerous of time i used other people setups to create my own, for my own taste
the other thing is the fact that experienced drivers have big advantage against laics like me at Online tracks
please share your setups - let us just noobs learn something about car adjustments :)

Can anyone uploading setups to AC (perhaps other games too if relevant) could also include the tyre version this setup is for? Plenty of unusable setups on the Internets but for the older tyre version with no indication other than upload date to know which version it's for. Please. :)

I have a question: what is the use of a pre made setup without knowing which benefit that setup should give you, except for the words "it will make you faster"?
Practice will make you faster....not a setup. A setup is meant to achieve more consistency by setting the car to your OWN(!!) driving style.

Just add the voice "AMS Setups" so everyone can upload them, share and comment them and you don't have to do anything (no need to sort them or similar stuff).
Never thought of that, that could be a really good idea actually. I'll take this one on board and see what I can do.

We do need a car and trackfilter system thingy. Will discuss with our techies what is possible.

Thanks for thinking with us here! :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back