rF2 RaceDepartment Daytona 250 - Sun 19th Feb 2023 *Livestreamed/Broadcasted*

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I have never witnessed such bad Oval Nascar racing to be brutally honest. I watched the whole live stream. As a current NR2003 offline and ex online racer, that was embarrassing to watch. They raced like it was a sprint race.

Last edited:
Pack racing and nascar racing in general is a different cup of tea and it was clear that some weren't totally familiar with it, still going from 3rd at the start to being a lap down to finishing 3rd after an epic final few laps was still a heck of an experience!

Indeed. Not to "toot my own horn" or anything like this. But, here is the results: https://ommyrvold.net/rdrf2/daytona250.html

From looking at that graph I was not above 7th, until lap 80, then I moved to 1st on lap 83, fell down from 1st to 6th on lap 94, regrouped. Found @Ingemar Petersson , got hooked up with him on the outside lane (that worked perfectly if you stuck with it and didn't stress). Took some laps and got to 2nd. Planned to make a move for the win on the last lap, but suddenly heard "middle, three wide" and decided to just stick behind Ingemar and hope to get 2nd at least. It all got very tight at the finish!

oXDL24f.jpg

vd2rGtu.jpg

6GHkFPa.jpg

It did at times look like it was bit too much work being done to get to the front or the inside lane.
We could easily have done 43 laps (a whole green flag fuel stint) in a single lane without actually having issues. The first 80% of a race like this is just figuring out drivers etc. which is why I think the move me and Ingemar did worked. I pushed him, he kept running the high line, and we just kept being there.

I have never witnessed such bad Oval Nascar racing to be brutally honest. I watched the whole live stream. As a current NR2003 offline and ex online racer, that was embarrassing to watch. They raced like it was a sprint race.

I've had worse races on iRacing actually.

It was the first ever restrictor-plate race here, and I guess it's somewhat my fault for not thinking about that aspect of it.

Andy, I also raced NR2003 religiously online back in the day and tbh, you cant compare the two games really. NR2003 was piss easy to drive, you couldnt bumpdraft, there was next to no aero, no bumps, no ffb. I agree the racing was bad and most of it comes from inexperience or impatience, but its also a lot harder to pack race these cars than NR2003 was.

I hope you all enjoyed the broadcast element at least. Hopefully, if my schedule works out I can support some other special races in the future too.
It was awesome to see and hear. Well done for putting up with the cautions.

I especially loved the part where you called my car the "MrBeast Cursed Livery" at the exact moment I was caught up in the crash that caused a caution :roflmao:

I loved the broadcast element, as it really made custom liveries worth the effort more than usual, and it did put pressure on us to try and keep the cautions down. Yeah, that didn't really work but the last 10 laps showed that we can race like this cleanly, as by then we'd had enough practice to get used to the tactics required and the consequences of dodgy movement.

Andy, I also raced NR2003 religiously online back in the day and tbh, you cant compare the two games really. NR2003 was piss easy to drive, you couldnt bumpdraft, there was next to no aero, no bumps, no ffb. I agree the racing was bad and most of it comes from inexperience or impatience, but its also a lot harder to pack race these cars than NR2003 was.
I agree........a little bit Jan. But with some subtle chainges to the AI files ( ai_drafting_distance =), I get very good drafting on the super speedways in my current AI racing in NR2003, and it makes for exciting racing. There is FFB. Nascar stock cars don't have much aero anyway. But I agree, RF2 is a different game with different physics. Just like you said, a lack of experience in that style of racing.

Simon has uploaded the last laps on his channel.

Can I just say @Jan Larsen @Yves Larose @Lesley Buurlage @Hartmut2 and the "Speedy Sweed" @Ingemar Petersson these laps looked really good.
I can see that I actually had a chance to go outside on the last lap and probably get Yves with me to try and pass Ingemar, I just didn't spot it.
It also looks like, if Yves and Hartmut had been able to stay together on the high line throug T3 and T4, there is a proper chance that one of them would've won it, that high line had a lot more speed throug T3!

Also, well done by @Simon Smith to actually gear up in the commentator-booth as well, and switch from the caution-filled race to pretty much non-stop action those last laps!

yesterday i watched the last laps with my kids at our living room and it was very exciting. All in all it was a nice experience. Maybe there is a chance for another try or another oval race. :)

I know it sounds bad, but I've actually had worse races back in the day, a full race with these amounts of yellows, so I resorted to texting behind the safety car to pass time. I was prepared for the yellows which made the experience less painful. However, the last few laps to the flag were everything Nascar is all about - close pack racing for the win. Judging from the utter silence on discord during those laps indicated everyone was concentrating like mad! :D
@Simon Smith many thanks for the commentary, it must have been difficult to fill in all the cautions. Idea for next time we run something with yellows - in car interviews, like in the real world. Its awesome to listen to the drivers initial reactions from whatever caused the yellow or just how they're gonna approach the rest of the race etc :)

I agree........a little bit Jan. But with some subtle chainges to the AI files ( ai_drafting_distance =), I get very good drafting on the super speedways in my current AI racing in NR2003, and it makes for exciting racing. There is FFB. Nascar stock cars don't have much aero anyway. But I agree, RF2 is a different game with different physics. Just like you said, a lack of experience in that style of racing.
I've also practiced with the AI and in my book it cant be compared to online racing at all, you dont get the unpredictability humans generate. AI, no matter how good, is fairly easy to read and understand within a couple of laps. As you said, it was the lack of experience of that style of racing but also combined with a car thats fairly difficult to drive in a pack. And yes we had FFB back then (most aliens turned it off), but its nothing like it is today. The turns at Daytona are actually really bumpy in the game and I had to turn the FFB down to 80% to avoid the wheel jerking around too much.
I'm sure we can do better now that most people have had a go at it.

I've also practiced with the AI and in my book it cant be compared to online racing at all, you dont get the unpredictability humans generate. AI, no matter how good, is fairly easy to read and understand within a couple of laps. As you said, it was the lack of experience of that style of racing but also combined with a car thats fairly difficult to drive in a pack. And yes we had FFB back then (most aliens turned it off), but its nothing like it is today. The turns at Daytona are actually really bumpy in the game and I had to turn the FFB down to 80% to avoid the wheel jerking around too much.
I'm sure we can do better now that most people have had a go at it.
To be honest, racing with the AI is sometimes better than racing against unpredictable humans. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back