Race Remaster

Yes, good to have some more suggestions :thumbsup:
Race Series Remaster?
Race Evo Remaster?
Race Evo?
I would like to use "Race" with the "R" in some way
or evo Remaster ;)
I'm liking these so far. Another idea – perhaps the name depends on what specific content you're remastering? For example, call the remaster for base RACE 07 content Race Remaster, whereas a GTR Evo update is Evo Remaster, or a Race Injection update is Injection Remaster? Or something like that, anyway. Incidentally, this could also help to split the separate downloads into logical parts.

Fixed the most important shader issues and tidied up the codes a little bit.
Still some things to improve, but over all it looks nice now I think. Easier to se "in action" than in an image.

124.jpg

One thing I a would like to add/edit to the remaster is to make the game look for driver talent file in the team directory, so we don't have to add a year to driver name. I will have a look in the code to see what is possible.

Last edited:
It is not possible to do many things that i want to do in these limited shaders, but I have added some things that can help a little bit. Shadows are now less visible when it is getting dark, and surfaces that points away from sun light are just a little bit tinted in inverse sun color. It is artificially done, but it resembles to some degree how real sun/shadow looks.

125.jpg

Shadows are now less visible when it is getting dark, and surfaces that points away from sun light are just a little bit tinted in inverse sun color. It is artificially done, but it resembles to some degree how real sun/shadow looks.
I love that we can do those kinds of lighting tweaks in these old games

Say what you will but certain games really nail the lighting, like PC2/AMS2, Gran Turismo, and it really adds something special to it.

Good job keep it up!

Yes the later gran turismo games look so good, such good color and lights balance. If we only had some more space in the shaders there are many things we could add. But some effects are hard to replicate of course

I did a couple of drafts/sketches. Nothing fancy, really. But I believe it makes sense to ask for feedback very early in the process to ensure all (or at least the majority) believe in the concept ;) So please let me know what you think!

PS: You can navigate through the drafts in the upper left corner. The first page is basically the default Race07 UI that I included as reference and template for my drafts.

Last edited:
Nice :D
I think any of the is a good start, can't say yet which one I like the most.
Maybe 4 or 7?
And yes, it is a good idea to get feedback before investing too much time and "emotion" in them

In general, I'd favour the ones involving the "boxes" concept: 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. It's a UI paradigm that modern games seem to use (AMS2, PC2, ACC) and can look very clean if done tastefully. Personally, I probably like 7 best.

Thank you guys for the first round of feedback, much appreciated!
Of couse I used inspiration from other games, especially Forza. However, I could of course also sketch something more unique and different, at least to show some more options, if any interest is there? I could use other forms than squares or rectangles, it could even be something like a race managers office as in the old Pole Position game or as in parts of the recent F1 games ;)

Thank you guys for the first round of feedback, much appreciated!
Of couse I used inspiration from other games, especially Forza. However, I could of course also sketch something more unique and different, at least to show some more options, if any interest is there? I could use other forms than squares or rectangles, it could even be something like a race managers office as in the old Pole Position game or as in parts of the recent F1 games ;)
I have tried a little bit of both (Super touring car selection), and I think it is best to keep it clean and simple (but not too simple = boring) I think nr 7 is the best concept, so it could be good to continue with that and add some more screens/pages. Unless you or the majority prefers one of the other options.

Squares with just a tiny roundness to the edges will also fit the not so high resolution of the ui pages well.
I have not been able to increase their resolution above 1024,768, but it is possible to add many elements with higher resolution than their relative screen space. Some things are hard coded.

When you are happy with the design, will you add it to the game, or should I do it? :)

I have tried a little bit of both (Super touring car selection), and I think it is best to keep it clean and simple (but not too simple = boring) I think nr 7 is the best concept, so it could be good to continue with that and add some more screens/pages. Unless you or the majority prefers one of the other options.

Squares with just a tiny roundness to the edges will also fit the not so high resolution of the ui pages well.
I have not been able to increase their resolution above 1024,768, but it is possible to add many elements with higher resolution than their relative screen space. Some things are hard coded.

When you are happy with the design, will you add it to the game, or should I do it? :)
Well, let's start with a more detailed draft of version 7. Then decide if that's the direction to go.
But I definitely want to have a look at the recent Forza title too as that UI looks good and is not far off the version 7.

I would like to work on the implementation, but likely not as the lead. We could think about a page on github where multiple persons can collaborate. And I promise that many would be able to join as I will use open-source software only to create the assets.

Last edited:
Yes there are many ways to split up work if we have the design made. One person can do menu programing and one person make the textures, or we can split by ingame vs pre game menus or different game modes. But I think it is a good thing if you do one demo image for every main type of ui page so they will be consistent.

Last edited:
Of course, all individual screens will be drafted. Then of course a set of assets (buttons, modals, scrollbars, color theme, icons, etc.). That way we will hopefully not have to design every screen "on the paper" but can directly go over to the coding. Hope that makes sense :roflmao: of not, it surely will later!

Last edited:
This is probably boring already, but sky road and foliage account for most of the screen so I would like if someone point me to the best existing skies mod, or can we ask from GRT2 patch, there are some beautifull 4K skies there already - to see what should be included in Remaster?

@AndreasFSC is on something big and new with Reloaded shaders but it's probably impossible to make ones to fit all of the different tracks as even SimBin later years tracks looking better than older ones.
It will probably take modding one track at a time, changing all of the materials, textures and shaders to make it all fit perfect. And car materials, and so on.

Report just for reference as we are still on beta ;)

Curitiba default shaders and sky (with some gdb lighting changes)
1-Race07-Curitiba-default-shaders-and-sky.jpg

Curitiba srpl shaders which change only some small specular but just HD sky make it like it's fitting perfect and all new track
2-Race07-Curitiba-SRPL-shaders-HD-skies.jpg

Curitiba Reloaded shaders and default sky (with some gdb lighting changes) - road missing details.
3-Race07-Curitiba-ReloadedShaders-and-default-sky.jpg

Zolder default shaders and sky - good track already
1-RaceEvo-Zolder-default-shaders-and-sky.jpg

Zolder srpl shaders affecting road and some speculars for good or bad and HD sky
2-RaceEvo-Zolder-SRPLShaders-HD-SKIES.jpg

Zolder Reloaded shaders - nice soft lighting and shadows but road missing details - probably shaders fallback, and cars and foliage missing contrast

3-RaceEvo-Zolder-ReloadedShaders-default-sky-2.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back