Race On vs GTR2

Hi,

Ive always tried to race with GTR2. Allthough GTR is not my class once in a while i took the gilleta for a spin. A month ago ive bougght Race On with the 07 and STCC pack. Its much more "easy" to race this game than GTR2. Going back to GTR2 the cars are much more sensitive than Race On. I thought: well, if i can race with Race On WTCC, i can give GTR2 a try again but hey....wrong thought. Im slipping and sliding across the track hardley able to keep the car off the grass...
Is it my driving style or are the games completely different, besides the fact the cars ARE different.

I can't comment on GTR2 because I've never played it. I do own GTR Evo though, and there is a huge difference between FWD WTCC cars and RWD GT cars, as you'd expect. If they were the same, they'd be in the same class. :)

I can't comment on GTR2 because I've never played it. I do own GTR Evo though, and there is a huge difference between FWD WTCC cars and RWD GT cars, as you'd expect. If they were the same, they'd be in the same class. :)

Oh yes, i do agree those classes are completely different! But it seems to me that GTR2 is more unforgiving than Race on, besides the difference of cars. Say i would take a WTCC car straight into GTR2 it would be alot more difficult to drive than in Race On....i think...
Race on has much more grip. Comparing those two it seems that i race on a wet track (while its dry), in GTR2 when i compare those two games. Is that purely because of the rear drive?

Well, I definitely think RWD cars are somewhat harder to drive than FWD. They could be seen as being more 'slippery' if you're a bit aggressive with the throttle. You're probably right too though, as there's likely various differences in the physics between games. I expect someone that knows for sure will post soon.

Alternatively, you could buy GTR Evo so that you can try the GTs for a fairer comparison. :wink:

One major difference between these two games, is tire warmers. In Race On, the tires start out at 80C, so you can pretty much push the car right away. In GTR2, the tires start at 20C, so you need to do a couple of laps before you get the full grip. If you just start pushing as you can do in Race On, you will end up in an early gravel trap.

I perfer the GTR2 physics in general, but love the FFB in Race Series + Graphics improvements like better rain effects on the windows. What is lacking in Race Series is proper lights and adjustable final diff ratios, 7th gear and moddable pitstops (as in an F1 car can take 100L fuel in a much faster time than say a V8 supercar or changing 4 tyres at once in one class and 2 then 2 in another class).

I did my first race in GTR2 in ~1.5 years and it was here at RD. A 2hr mini Enduro at Le Mans and it was awesome. Both are good and really a must have...

Well, ive bought Evo via Steam. The cars are great! The WTCC Extreme is madness! So, now i have them all. If i have to choose i think i prefer GTR2 due to night racing. If Evo would have night racing it would be 100%.

I apologize for recovering an old thread but I think about buying GTR2 (cars seem to be better than in Evo). Can anyone explain me something? I just played the demo version of the GTR2 and it looks like a game from 2001. Did I play some other game or what? In terms of graphics it's not even close to Race 07 and for some reason people say it's graphically better than the Evo. Am I blind?

Just don't get me wrong. It's not an attack at anybody but really - how can anyone say these games have similar graphics (saw such opinions) or even say that GTR2 looks better (saw these as well:p).

Agreed on the graphics front. I'm not sure GTR2 looks any better than Race 07. The only thing I think looks better in GTR2 is the sun reflection on the road surface. But I'm sure the same would occur in Race 07 if the sun were ever close enough to the horizon for it to show. The same lens flare effect is in Race 07 aswell, but you're rarely looking up enough to see it.

One undeniable advantage I think GTR2 has over Race 07 though is being able to save your progress on a race weekend and carry on later. So you aren't forced to do the practice, qualifying and race sessions in one sitting. That's something I really miss in Race 07 and rFactor. Especially for longer races which can go on for hours.

Here's untreated (auto color corrected...) screenshot from Race:
capture_2011-05-25_17-52-36.jpg

The reason you rarely see this ingame, and i have to say it's a shame as it is beautiful, is because the game has a serious flaw producing long shadows. Without shadows that low angle sun is very stupid, it doesn't look realistic at all. So every race starts between 13:00 and 18:00... That is the only reason that our tracks don't look so astonishing and possibly the lack of night racing too (if they can't make one lightsource to behave correctly...).. Otherwise GTR2 has got nothing better than Race, car doesn't give the same amount of feedback. Haven't tried GTR2 as arcade with assists+joypad thou but with FFB/noassists it's not great.

Looks and feel aside, GTR2 was primarily designed as a GT class race sim where Race07 was primarily designed as a touring car sim. You can download mods for both to be able to run either class in either game though, so there really isn't much difference in content that is available now a days. I do however like the sounds better in GTR2 as to me they sound a bit more realistic, though I might be wrong on that part as it has been a while since I have been to a GT race.

One thing that really surprises me is that I have not seen any mods for GTR2 or Race 07 to improve graphics. I know that this is not the most important thing in sims but with such a big community that both games have it still amazes me.

Today I finally got my internet connection back so I was able to compare GTR2 to Race 07 again (for a week I could not run steam for Race). Coming back from GTR2 to Race 07seems to make less dramatic difference in the graphics. When I ran GTR2 after Race 07 I was really unpleseantly surprised. Now moving from GTR2 to Race 07 the improvements are not as noticable as the previous degradation. I guess it's one o reasons why former owners of the GTR2 could not see much of a difference.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 400 40.0%