RACE Installation bug

P

Paddy Cummins

• Paddy Cummins

I bought RACE today as the price had gone down in the sales. Before buying it, I looked at the back of the case to check out what PC specifications it needed to run. Everything met minimum requirements except for memory of the graphics card. It required a minimum of 128mb (reccomended 256mb) and mine only has 64mb. I expected it to be risky but bought the game anyway.

I decided to have a shot at installing it when I got home so it was about 1 hour ago. Before installation of the game itself, it installed a new version of DirectX (I already had version 9 so I think it may have just overwrote the files, not too sure) and a thing called "Steam". This was apparently something I needed to play the game. When Steam was finished installing, it proceeded with installing the game. When that was done, I clicked the desktop icon to play and I needed to configure my video setup (which I did to match that of our PC). When I was ready to play, and the game was attempting to load up, a prompt appeared in a box saying:

"Please submit the file 'minidump\race_steam_1.1.0.6-20070102-192926-3380-3384.dmp' along with a description of what you think could have caused the crash to a developer near you."

So, is there any way around this problem? I am guessing that this may be to do with the fact that my graphics card is too low on memory but there is a possibility other people have suffered with this so I didn't want to jump to conclusions just yet. Any help would be deeply appreciated and if you need any more information let me know.

PS: Happy new Year to everyone at the forums.

Hi Paddy,

On my old pc i had the same problems with the RACE demo. And you know what: it had 64mb memory as well!
But the steamerror you are talking about had struck many people.
Possible solutions:
1. Try to update Steam (mark automatic update)
2. Update the latest drivers
3. Try to use a program called "Game XP" to configure the best windows settings for gameplay. To download: http://www.theorica.net/download.htm
4. Buy a better videocard because your specs are way to low (256mb would be the nicest option for low budget pc i guess)

Good luck!

I had the same problem I think :) I also got an error... don't know if it was the same. But it had nothing to do with your graphical memory.

I think you should do the following:
- Open steam
- Run the WTCC game, there will be an icon
- I think you have to insert the CD-Key then...
- After this, RACE will start-up and you will be able to play...

This is what I've done and now it works really good...

• Paddy Cummins

TheStig: I have already selected automatic updates. It was like that from the start so that wouldn't do anything apparently. As for drivers, if you're talking about graphics card drivers, then we have all the latest materials from DirectX (ie version 9). If I can't resolve this, I will consider using Game XP but a new graphics card certainly won't go astray.

MrMystic: I opened up Steam and selected "My Games". WTCC was there alright but went I clicked on "Launch", the same prompt appeared. And once, it launched a new install wizard which is strange because I already have the game installed on the system.

Thanks for the answers anyway. I hope I can sort something out.

• Paddy Cummins

The graphics card is a GIGABYTE MAYA RADEON 9000 PRO. My brother tells me that we have all the latest DirectX drivers installed (DirectX 9).

Paddy Cummins said:
The graphics card is a GIGABYTE MAYA RADEON 9000 PRO. My brother tells me that we have all the latest DirectX drivers installed (DirectX 9).

but when its only 64MB it will not run on your pc, it has to little capacity for rendering RACE. so i think you should consider to buy at least a 128MB (minimum for RACE) card for good performance!

I drive it with 512MB (2x256MB in SLI) and i have amazing color

• Paddy Cummins

The game will be gathering dust until I get a graphics card. Hopefully it won't be too far away. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 101 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 78 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.4%