Race #3, China: Post-Race Discussion

Technically speaking you should only be able to penalize the official Q lap. i.e. from the time you pass s/f to start the lap, to the time you pass s/f to finish the lap.

The rulebook doesn't explicitly state that mistakes on the outlap will be penalized. Nor does it explicitly state that the Race Director may apply penalties at his/her own discretion with regards to Q laps.

You could possibly use those 2 points to try and justify your argument against the penalty.

To be fair to the RD though, if it's clear that an advantage was gained by deliberate actions, then a penalty isn't out of order.

Technically speaking you should only be able to penalize the official Q lap. i.e. from the time you pass s/f to start the lap, to the time you pass s/f to finish the lap.

The rulebook doesn't explicitly state that mistakes on the outlap will be penalized. Nor does it explicitly state that the Race Director may apply penalties at his/her own discretion with regards to Q laps.

You could possibly use those 2 points to try and justify your argument against the penalty.

To be fair to the RD though, if it's clear that an advantage was gained by deliberate actions, then a penalty isn't out of order.

Then in tracks like Valencia you can go wide last corner and win like 50 meter extra.

Last year I also applied penalties like this in Pro, makes sense as you can win time.

In Q1 it's not just about gaining momentum from wider last corner, it's also about gaining session time. In Bahrain first corner can be completely cut (turning in 300m before apex where the road is on the right) , gaining 10 seconds, and also some other corners you can use the trackside tarmac to gain even more time to be able to do one extra lap.

Btw, it just occured to me, what happens, if I cut Bahrain T1 this way in the race? I can do it in up to 10% of laps, right?

In Q1 it's not just about gaining momentum from wider last corner, it's also about gaining session time. In Bahrain first corner can be completely cut (turning in 300m before apex where the road is on the right) , gaining 10 seconds, and also some other corners you can use the trackside tarmac to gain even more time to be able to do one extra lap.

Btw, it just occured to me, what happens, if I cut Bahrain T1 this way in the race? I can do it in up to 10% of laps, right?

Intentional cuts can end on disqualifications and race bans.

Ask @Lionel Klue from Hockenheim 2014. ;)

If this was done during the timed lap there would be no issue.
Intentional/major cuts are a race ban. Doing it multiple times may be looked at as cheating which could result in a season or lifetime ban.

Then in tracks like Valencia you can go wide last corner and win like 50 meter extra.

Last year I also applied penalties like this in Pro, makes sense as you can win time.
We are talking about cutting on last corner without gain time, it's normal that if someone with cutting gain 5-10 km/h should be penalized, but as I think david lost some pace on outlap, as I did why should we penalized? we penalized ourself with our mistake. I want to point out that I'm talking about outlap on Q not during the race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 116 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 91 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 83 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 58 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 121 13.6%