AC Race #1 Back to the Sixties@Bridgehampton, Tuesday 7th September 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks everybody for racing last night. I really enjoyed it.

I had a bad start and shifted to 2nd too early so @Allan Ramsbottom could pass me. I saw a great battle between him and @Kek700 until Allan apparently had to pee and went into the bushes. I closed the gap a bit to Ernie who, judging by his car, was carrying something heavy in his trunk. When Ernie also had to pee I drove behind @Remco Hitman . The whole race I stayed there with the difference between 0.5 and 3s depending on small mistakes we both made.
A very intense race that requires the utmost concentration in these cars.

Congratulations on the podium! I'm looking forward to Bremgarten. I expect the Porsche to have a small advantage there.

EDIT: Btw there's a spot free in the FatAlfie's championship. It's Bremgarten next week so if you want to learn the circuit, join with the Audi TT of Mazda MX5.

Last edited:
@JamKart22

Colin

First of all I am not the quickest, so perhaps one of the quicker drivers will chime in..
But the below will give of a more Joe Soap Perspective.

Took me the whole race plus qualifying to get it into my head. ( should have done some practice, such a big change from GT3 ).
Setup apart from what you have said is going to be pretty equal.
I just used a lot of coast to help me get used to the car.
just drive it and try and get to the point where you start to get economical with my inputs.
Not sure about the drift thing, I suppose it is the inevitable consequence of these cars.
The best way of looking at it is drifting but not drifting , living on the edge of grip, in doing so it gives you that safety margin when it starts to let go.
I also tend to be constantly on the brakes, then the throttle, again as I said, start to be more economical with both to decrease lap times.
If you start to explore the end of that envelope, (this is what I observed when I was plodding through the field ) Big oversteer = going slower, 100% stable grip = going slower.
All were same speed as I was , there was no Enzo magic going on with my driving, unfortunately, just as the race progressed I started to get more economical, and for the last 6 or so laps I was in the 52’s , but not getting to the point were I was holding it for the whole lap.

That’s it really, hope it was not too much waffle.

88164056-8EBA-4BAA-AEF1-D40155558399.jpeg

Last edited:
Well that was a...race I suppose.
Started 13th, sent it up the inside of Paul into T3 and unintentionally opposite-lock drifted to the exit kerb somehow without contact. Was catching and following the guy in front until T4 on the next lap when I got caught out by his braking point, had to brake harder and that just makes this car autospin. Was collected by Rasmus (I think) and then had to do a last place recovery drive.

A few spins later, passes and battles with the other guys further back I made it to 14th after Rasmus spun and I passed him. Let the leaders through, but Erik and Reik were battling for second as they caught Rasmus and I battling for 14th. In the most awkward case of two side-by-side cars trying to let two other side-by-side cars through without losing the place, I had to drive awkwardly while Reik was veeery sideways on my outside, but it seemed fair as we did let them through at the first real opportunity.

Rasmus and I agreed to slow down to let the next lapper through without battling as we didn't want to go through that again. I think our battle then lasted 4 corners as Rasmus went wide again.

In the end I coasted home 14th. Had two embarrassing spins on the final two corners of the last lap, luckily my lead over everyone else was large enough that I didn't bottle any positions.

Now I'm just hoping the longer circuits suit my racing brain for learning long tracks and I can move forwards. This car seems to need to be slightly unstable through the corner to get speed - something I naturally struggle to either do quickly or consistently. I was quick at Bremgarten when we last raced there, so I have my fingers crossed for a better result.

Tbh I just need to get used to this car and stop being a landmark in the verges all through the practice sessions. I don't like the way the rear just uncontrollably spins if you get any part of the braking zone a tiny bit non-ideal.

Thanks everybody for racing last night. I really enjoyed it.

I had a bad start and shifted to 2nd too early so @Allan Ramsbottom could pass me. I saw a great battle between him and @Kek700 until Allan apparently had to pee and went into the bushes. I closed the gap a bit to Ernie who, judging by his car, was carrying something heavy in his trunk. When Ernie also had to pee I drove behind @Remco Hitman . The whole race I stayed there with the difference between 0.5 and 3s depending on small mistakes we both made.
A very intense race that requires the utmost concentration in these cars.

Congratulations on the podium! I'm looking forward to Bremgarten. I expect the Porsche to have a small advantage there.

EDIT: Btw there's a spot free in the FatAlfie's championship. It's Bremgarten next week so if you want to learn the circuit, join with the Audi TT of Mazda MX5.
Thanks Han for the organisation and smooth running of another different but exciting event.

I had a steady start and knowing how slippery these cars , I was probably a bit over cautious on the first lap but Ed’s full lock pass was spectacular.

Had a good battle with Florian in the Alfa and Big Al joined in after his off. Al got past us both and I managed to get a good run on Florian on the start/ finish straight to follow Al home. Congrats to the podium guys, awesome speed, but for me the driver of the day must go to Ernie. How the hell did you go so fast, let alone finish in a car that obviously had collapsed rear suspension?? :D. It reminded me of one of those hermit crabs scuttling across a beach, especially with all the sand dunes surrounding the track. It brought a huge smile to my face when I first spotted you.:).

I wasn’t sure about entering this championship but it was fun and with the chance that most of the drivers are capable of making a mistake, gives us hope of a result. Now looking forward to the next sideways adventure.

Nice race report Edward! Definitely had some exciting time with you throughout this race :D
Was collected by Rasmus (I think)
Yeah it was me.. I was so sorry :( I didn't say anything on discord to not disturb everyone else having a similar insane first lap.

I saw your car giving way and I knew that at some point your tyres would grip and make your car change direction but I just couldn't see when that would happen.

Ofc your car changed trajectory in the wrong moment so I collected you... I had hope that I only pushed you to be straight again but apparently it sent you into some spins.
Sorry for that!
A few spins later, passes and battles with the other guys further back I made it to 14th after Rasmus spun and I passed him. Let the leaders through, but Erik and Reik were battling for second as they caught Rasmus and I battling for 14th. In the most awkward case of two side-by-side cars trying to let two other side-by-side cars through without losing the place, I had to drive awkwardly while Reik was veeery sideways on my outside, but it seemed fair as we did let them through at the first real opportunity.
That was completely nuts! :p
In gt3 cars for Formula 4/3 cars this would've been an easy task for us 4 but with these sliding tanks.. Geeez what a difficult situation!

Luckily Reik was able to catch the car!
Rasmus and I agreed to slow down to let the next lapper through without battling as we didn't want to go through that again. I think our battle then lasted 4 corners as Rasmus went wide again.
Haha yeah that was a good decision I think! :roflmao:

Sadly I couldn't really maintain my pace throughout the last few laps. My front left dropped from 100 to 93 and my rear left to 89 in the end.

My brake bias was too far rearwards then and I couldn't really manage it by keeping a little bit of throttle..

So I went back and forth from locking up the fronts, the rears, not slowing down enough due to the throttle application and understeering due to the dynamic brake balance being too far forward..

Urghs.. It was a mess for me lol.

I really shouldn't tell this, but I only ever drove this track once in 2019 I think with the audi S1 quattro and I didn't really practice for that.
And I didn't drive this car ever at all.

I missed the practice session due to my partner being sick at home and me only stealing myself away for qualy and race.

You all probably saw me being only off-track throughout qualy :roflmao::whistling:

Got one clean lap in at the end of qualy and was somewhat able to control the car.
I died multiple times during lap 1.. My somehow awesome start didn't help my nerves going into T1 :D

Nice race report Edward! Definitely had some exciting time with you throughout this race :D

Yeah it was me.. I was so sorry :( I didn't say anything on discord to not disturb everyone else having a similar insane first lap.

I saw your car giving way and I knew that at some point your tyres would grip and make your car change direction but I just couldn't see when that would happen.

Ofc your car changed trajectory in the wrong moment so I collected you... I had hope that I only pushed you to be straight again but apparently it sent you into some spins.
Sorry for that!

That was completely nuts! :p
In gt3 cars for Formula 4/3 cars this would've been an easy task for us 4 but with these sliding tanks.. Geeez what a difficult situation!

Luckily Reik was able to catch the car!

Haha yeah that was a good decision I think! :roflmao:

Sadly I couldn't really maintain my pace throughout the last few laps. My front left dropped from 100 to 93 and my rear left to 89 in the end.

My brake bias was too far rearwards then and I couldn't really manage it by keeping a little bit of throttle..

So I went back and forth from locking up the fronts, the rears, not slowing down enough due to the throttle application and understeering due to the dynamic brake balance being too far forward..

Urghs.. It was a mess for me lol.

I really shouldn't tell this, but I only ever drove this track once in 2019 I think with the audi S1 quattro and I didn't really practice for that.

I missed the practice session due to my partner being sick at home and me only stealing myself away for qualy and race.

You all probably saw me being only off-track throughout qualy :roflmao::whistling:

Got one clean lap in at the end of qualy and was somewhat able to control the car.
I died multiple times during lap 1.. My somehow awesome start didn't help my nerves going into T1 :D
That spin on lap 2 I had was impossible for anyone else to avoid, I was already beyond saving it when you hit me so don't feel like you disadvantaged me with that hit.

In that case you did a fantastic job, Rasmus :thumbsup: !

In that case you did a fantastic job, Rasmus :thumbsup: !
Thanks for the compliment Han!

Little fun story:
I wanted to change the brake bias a few laps into the race and wondered why my mapped buttons wouldn't work. Before remembering that a car from the 60's probably didn't have such a cockpit operated setting, I tried my rotary switch and forgot that I mapped that to NEXT CAR/PREVIOUS CAR. (ctrl + numpad sometimes doesn't work)
Going down the start/finish straight, I just hopped into Colin's car for a second. Luckily I was back in my own car before I had to steer :barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:
Good trick to wake you up if you're losing concentration! :roflmao:

Have to say i had a really enjoyable race having started in the middle of the field and yes finishing in roughly the same place. Tried to stay with Han for a few laps but he just kept taking time out of me. Was surprised at the pace of Ernie with what appeared to be an Alfa taking a poo. I passed him earlier in the race when the car relieved itself in the dunes and then later he was rapidly filling my mirror. I was getting untidy trying to hold him off so had to let him go by before i lost complete control. Had to laugh looking at the collapsed rear end as it snaked away from me. I was pleased with my setup. It obviously was not a fast ride but i had near zero oversteer which kept me on the track. I am sorry about my mic being on all the time. First time i have used it and i had so much trouble getting on the server and then squaring up my VR headset i did not want to risk losing it all by leaving it. I guess i should be able to consign a button for that. Still cant work out why the server would not show. It was Han who sent me a direct link otherwise i would still be trying. Thanks again Han

Have to say i had a really enjoyable race having started in the middle of the field and yes finishing in roughly the same place. Tried to stay with Han for a few laps but he just kept taking time out of me. Was surprised at the pace of Ernie with what appeared to be an Alfa taking a poo. I passed him earlier in the race when the car relieved itself in the dunes and then later he was rapidly filling my mirror. I was getting untidy trying to hold him off so had to let him go by before i lost complete control. Had to laugh looking at the collapsed rear end as it snaked away from me. I was pleased with my setup. It obviously was not a fast ride but i had near zero oversteer which kept me on the track. I am sorry about my mic being on all the time. First time i have used it and i had so much trouble getting on the server and then squaring up my VR headset i did not want to risk losing it all by leaving it. I guess i should be able to consign a button for that. Still cant work out why the server would not show. It was Han who sent me a direct link otherwise i would still be trying. Thanks again Han
I guess you're using content manager to be able to find servers via direct link?

You could take a screen shot (ctrl + shift + s for snipping tool) of the server filters. Maybe we can spot something!

My guess would be that you filtered for password protected servers?

Hi Steve,

Are you using the app version of Discord? The browser version doesn't support push-to-talk.

I guess you're using content manager to be able to find servers via direct link?

You could take a screen shot (ctrl + shift + s for snipping tool) of the server filters. Maybe we can spot something!

My guess would be that you filtered for password protected servers?
There is a new option called "Use caching server for lobby" in CM that I've found to hide servers. Try unticking this and refresh the lists

Screenshot 2021-09-08 185004.png

Hi Han, yes i am using the app. I did not have push to talk on i believe. Still cant work out how i can mute it when in VR. Does it auto connect maybe?

Hi Colin, i unchecked the new caching box as you suggested. I only just updated CM to the latest build as i had some bugs when it first arrived and rolled back to the last. I see a one of the bugs is still there . Sometimes fails to load the selected track on quick drive. Unfortunately i will not know if i have fixed it until i try to use the server again. My VR was doing strange things also like my curser would not move and my head was the wrong side of the roof. Corrected itself after removing headset and replacing again. Very strange as tracking issues always find me in the footwell of the car!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 232 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 8.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.3%